oneBoro Forum

Warnock

Dont like his style of play, dont like his morals or world view. 

Hell probably keep us up though, so on that basis the right choice. Fully dependent on whether we want to keep him on beyond the end of the season as to whether I think it's a good appointment.

• Like 2

Probably the best (or only) choice we could get at such short notice.

He may not be a great manager, but he's infinitely better than the guy he's replacing. If he can keep Boro up, I wouldn't object to him being given another season.

However, he can't be a long-term appointment, simply due to his age (plus he's been saying he's going to retire for years now).

Think he could bring some stability to the club (god knows we need it) and at least get us to mid-table respectability.

But Gibson needs to be looking for that long-term candidate right now, even if its going to be 2-3 years down the line. He needs to start looking through CVs and getting the finances in place so he can afford to hire a good manager AND provide them with reasonable transfer funds.

Another 1-season wonder (which turned into about half a season) where he promises we'll smash the league is not what we need.

• Like 1

Warnock will do they job of keeping us up i believe, if the story is true that we approached him before lockdown then he'll already know what he wants to do.

as for next season we could do worse than keep him around while Kenyon gets his contacts book out brings in a DoF and then a relatively young coach with the same philosophy to take the thing forward.

• Like 1
Just now, estonpidge said:

Warnock will do they job of keeping us up i believe, if the story is true that we approached him before lockdown then he'll already know what he wants to do.

as for next season we could do worse than keep him around while Kenyon gets his contacts book out brings in a DoF and then a relatively young coach with the same philosophy to take the thing forward.

Yep, praying Gibson finally sees the value in getting a DoF

I dont mind the appointment for a 8 game stint. Hes certainly no Guardiola but at the same time hes not as total anti football as Pulis was. His championship Cardiff team had a good mix tbf and he got good performances out of the likes of Hoilett who would be nowhere near a Pulis team.

Hopefully Gibson is using this time to scour the earth for a hidden gem of a manager but who am I kidding. 

Given our opponents in the final game, probably no one else more motivated to take three points at Hillsborough and do a ride off into the sunset.....now there's a thought for a future thread ....as a last match would I prefer to give Leeds, Newcastle or West Ham a ten goal thrashing..tough choice 

• Like 1

He is good friends and has been for many years with Steve Gibson. His appointment makes sense at this time and I heard he will be staying on past this season in some type of capacity whether consultant or DOF. Wonder if there will be kickbacks to him for bringing on subs, player transfers and his illustrious network of agents. 

Ask any player who has worked under Blackwell what they think of him as a man and a coach, a few others have said the same for Jepson. Not the type of men you want near your younger developing players.

Happy Woodgate is gone. 5 managers in 3 years. What are our long term plans going forward?

I’m not too sure if anyone’s posted this yet, but it’s quite interesting about Warnock’s style of play. There’s more to it than the simple football I originally thought.

• Like 1

I am happy with Warnock but have picked up that Woodgate might not be gone from the club, just not the manager anymore. If Warnock keeps us up and doesn't last longer than this season, i seriously hope this all wasn't giving Woodgate "more time to learn" and reinstating him next season as manager to give him another go.  

• Wow 2
25 minutes ago, LukeR said:

I’m not too sure if anyone’s posted this yet, but it’s quite interesting about Warnock’s style of play. There’s more to it than the simple football I originally thought.

Interesting stuff. Possibly Shotton back on the right and Gestede up top?

I wonder if he has the time to coach the defence into that system.