oneBoro Forum

Candidates for our next manager...

Yeah we’ve only just got warnock but if the media is to be believed he’s barely going to be here 2 months.

Just wondering what people’s thoughts are for who comes next, ive been proper out of the loop this season as I pretty much binned off football so I’ve got no idea who’s out there and who’s doing well etc.

One we were linked with after Pulis left was Tim Walter, he was flying before being randomly sacked so he’s available. There’s stendel who I wanted to replace pulis but he wasn’t that great at barnsley. And of course we could stick with warnock ( I guarantee this is the route we go down).

Any ‘under the radar’ suggestions?

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warnock deal 100% done and will be announced shortly. (Not the appointment I wanted) - Friend has been offered extension but on significantly reduced terms with possibility of coaching at the end

In fairness, Warnock didn't leave Cardiff that long ago, so it's not like there's been a massive turnover of players. Some of the players he signed might yet move on for big money. Also, quoting

If we were sacking Karanka to replace him with no one and just accept relegation we should have just stuck with Karanka for the championship, I think we'd have bounce straight back up -----------

Posted Images

Anyone in the Oneboro community with any coaching or managerial experience?

Think that qualifies as "under the radar". 😁

On a more serious note it is a good question. Warnock isn't a long-term appointment (barring some kind of miracle) and GIbson does need to be at least casting an eye over potential candidates who could at least see out a few seasons.

One thing I hope he (Steve Gibson) has learnt is that its not as easy to pull the wool over the fans eyes with an appointment. Alot of us could see through woodgate from the beginning, and while I wanted him to do well as I was happy to give him the benefit of the doubt. It ended pretty much how I and many others first imagined.

Maybe he was the fall guy for the financial cuts this season or for what ever else has happened. Gibson needs to save face now and appoint someone who will get the fans excited and actually give us hope of having a good season. It doesn't have to be promotion, but as long as he can get the best out of the players and give us 110% and compete in the top six for a couple of seasons, it would be far better than worrying about imploding, falling down the leagues. 

• Like 3

We can limit this conversation to managers who are unemployed or might become unemployed as Gibson has never taken a manager in employment.

I wanted Giovanni Van Bronkhurst last summer as i felt he could have had a similar impact if not better impact to what Cocu is now having at Derby. But GVB now in China

People talk about Boro not replacing players that left us in summer but Derby lost Tomori, Wilson and Mount and then they captain in Keogh (whatever u may think of him, he was a big part of they team). So Cocu after an indifferent start has done well.

No doubt Phil Neville will be linked with us now he free but I don't want him.

I want us to take a gamble on a young-ish manager who has potential so Tim Walter i would welcome. Someone who can develop our youngsters and keep us competitive. I liked idea of the "golden thread" we talked about last summer but we totally got wrong manager to implement it.

Chris Hughton a solid choice who could maybe excel under system we now want to operate in.

• Like 1

If Warnock keeps us up and does well then maybe he should be first pick too see how far he can go with us.

Lets argue that he wont want to stay past the end of the season then maybe Richie Wellens off Swindon as a under the radar choice? Seem like the blokes got a lot of potential, hes got a high win rate with Swindon and although relegated with Oldham that probably wasn't his fault due to their financial difficulties regarding the ground. Since we dont have a lot of money he probably knows the best players in the lower leagues as well so we might get some decent finds. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

God bless the golden thread

Just my opinion.... everytime we have tried to play a better brand of football we have failed dismally... go all the way back to McClaren we were built on being solid. AK we were solid TP we were solid... only Robson we played expansive and got rewards in promotion. Mogga Monk Woodgate all tried and failed. Maybe it's just our DNA

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

Warnock if we stay up... dont see it being offered to anyone else.

Not completely against that if am honest. I hope with him we will at least be competing right end of table.

If there one thing I would wish for him is to not abandon our youngsters and keep putting them in the team if they good enough. The emergence of some has been a bright spot in a poor season. Just hope squad does not get filled with lots of "experienced men".

Of the Championship-standard managers knocking around, I will restate my historic admiration of Chris Hughton. He knows how to secure promotion, he's not likely to spend the family silver on absolute dross, he doesn't wrestle journalists to the ground or sign players because he'll receive a brown envelope through his letterbox the next day stuffed with non-sequential bank notes.

However, if Warnock keeps us up, I fully expect him to sign a one-year extension, taking him past the much-discussed 1,500-game tally and giving him a transfer window or two to spend someone else's money. He wouldn't be my first choice beyond July, but he certainly beats Pulis and Woodgate. And as others have already said, his Cardiff side did play some decent football as they over-achieved their way to promotion.

• Like 2