• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warnock deal 100% done and will be announced shortly. (Not the appointment I wanted) - Friend has been offered extension but on significantly reduced terms with possibility of coaching at the end

In fairness, Warnock didn't leave Cardiff that long ago, so it's not like there's been a massive turnover of players. Some of the players he signed might yet move on for big money. Also, quoting

If we were sacking Karanka to replace him with no one and just accept relegation we should have just stuck with Karanka for the championship, I think we'd have bounce straight back up -----------

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

Just my opinion.... everytime we have tried to play a better brand of football we have failed dismally... go all the way back to McClaren we were built on being solid. AK we were solid TP we were solid... only Robson we played expansive and got rewards in promotion. Mogga Monk Woodgate all tried and failed. Maybe it's just our DNA

Maybe the answer is stop giving central defenders the Boro managers job.

Apart from AK who to his credit had a Spanish approach on the game Robson McClaren all three have given us some great times. The latter 2 being midfielders before they became managers so they had a more attacking mind set.

Pulis/Mogga/Monk/Woogate all central defenders and most do not have a clue how to train for attacking football apart from Mogga who in his favour when he arrived at Boro we were in sh*t street with hardly two penny's to rub together. But he still made some very good signings on the cheap.

My idea for the next manager after Warnock would be some one who has midfield experience from his playing days.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Motor Mouth said:

Maybe the answer is stop giving central defenders the Boro managers job.

Apart from AK who to his credit had a Spanish approach on the game Robson McClaren all three have given us some great times. The latter 2 being midfielders before they became managers so they had a more attacking mind set.

Pulis/Mogga/Monk/Woogate all central defenders and most do not have a clue how to train for attacking football apart from Mogga who in his favour when he arrived at Boro we were in sh*t street with hardly two penny's to rub together. But he still made some very good signings on the cheap.

My idea for the next manager after Warnock would be some one who has midfield experience from his playing days.

Downing.... 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Wow 1

I think the next appointment is probably THE most crucial one we will make in recent times. There is so much pressure to get it right this time round. I think the next manager will have a big job on their hands, such as...

1 - Will have to oversee a squad rebuild. Wether you like it or not, favourites like Ayala, Friend and the “old guard” will be moved on. I have 0 faith in the recruitment team at boro, so who ever comes in need to be trusted to select players to fit his philosophy. We have tried picking players for the manager and it doesn’t work. Therefore the candidate will need to be experienced in selecting and building a team and identifying players to fit that system. 

2 - will have to play a brand of football that will bring people back to the riverside. Wether it’s an approach like AK which saw people return due to being near the top, or if it’s playing like Barcelona, Boro need to give punters a better value for money than what is being offered. Pulis and Woodgate have made a lot of people (myself included) be more reluctant to shell out on boro things. This is easier said than done obviously. It can be done, but it won’t happen overnight. 

3 - the Woodgate conundrum. Personally for me, Woodgate needs to get gone and not hang round like a bad smell. After failing the club should cut their losses and wish him the best. Whilst at Boro how can you possibly “move on”. If I was a professional, I wouldn’t really listen to him after having failed as a coach. I’d like to think that who ever comes in would do the same. 

4 - preferably, the candidate will have some championship experience but with Karanka, he didn’t have that and adapted. I’m racking my brains to think of someone free, with championship experience, who has a proven track record. 

5 - obviously we are short of cash, so the candidate will need to be good at bringing through the youth or be willing to give youth prospects a chance. Or at the very least, utilising the academy. 

6- make the best out of the players at our disposal. For a team short of goals, one of the things that really gets me is how we had Bamford AND Assombalonga and didn’t play them together more often. Both were played up from in a system that didn’t suit them. Hopefully the next manager will make players over achieve rather than under achieve. 

Now with this list here, it’s all well and good finding a manager to fit this template. But with the recruitment team at boro, there’s a side of me that thinks, will it even make any difference? Bola, Browne, Meijas and Dijksteele have made 0 impact on our 11. Essentially a waste of money and wages for this season. 
Is this because they are not up to the standard or couldn’t adapt to Woodgates poor coaching? I think it’s forgotten in modern football that a manager or head coach should improve the players he has got. Evidently with Woodgate he couldn’t do that with his own personal recruits (or so it is led to believe). Therefore, with finances being tight, the management staff and recruitment team all need to be singing from the same hymn sheet in terms of who we get and where they see them playing. 

Im thinking of a player who came to boro as being hyped up, they underperformed and then when they left, they went on to bigger and better things. Who am I thinking of? Or is there too many to choose from?? And therein lies the problem we currently have. We don’t have many success stories of players who smashed it for our team, it always feels like they move away and the shackles are set free somewhat. 

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, Mr_Maz said:

Downing.... 😉

Dont give Gibson ideas, although did I hear name mentioned in that description Boateng 😉....I think we want someone unfamiliar with the club certainly someone that hasn't played for us just so Gibson doesn't get a "yes" man every time a bad decision is made. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

Warnock if we stay up... dont see it being offered to anyone else.

If Neil Warnock scrapes us out of relegation, I don't think he should just be offered the job. He might be the right choice for now, it doesn't make him the right choice for the future of this club. Gibson should be looking for a new manager or a director of football to hire one right now.

2 hours ago, Smoggydownsouth said:

Just my opinion.... everytime we have tried to play a better brand of football we have failed dismally... go all the way back to McClaren we were built on being solid. AK we were solid TP we were solid... only Robson we played expansive and got rewards in promotion. Mogga Monk Woodgate all tried and failed. Maybe it's just our DNA

The difference this time is we're going to be starting from zero with so many players leaving. That means we can build a squad geared towards a type of play. If we build a Warnock squad that's another 5~ years of defensive/longball.

• Like 1

I’m under no illusion that this is a two month job interview for Warnock. If we stay he stays it’s that simple. 
other than that I don’t know too many effective league 1 managers.  

3 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I’m under no illusion that this is a two month job interview for Warnock. If we stay he stays it’s that simple. 
other than that I don’t know too many effective league 1 managers.  

Well its only 1 month but I agree that if he keeps us up, then it is his job to turn down. I really cant see any other option. Iwe go down then its back to the cheapest option.