oneBoro Forum

Candidates for our next manager...

The big elephant in the room is that Karanka would be the perfect fit. 

- knows the division

- knows the area and ethos of the clib 

- proven track record in the division

- improved players whilst he coached us

- created a strong bond in the dressing room 

- recruitment was good under him, not sure if that was him or the people above him though. 

It would never happen though, because Gibson won’t admit to his own mistakes. But we could do a lot worse than Karanka. 

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warnock deal 100% done and will be announced shortly. (Not the appointment I wanted) - Friend has been offered extension but on significantly reduced terms with possibility of coaching at the end

In fairness, Warnock didn't leave Cardiff that long ago, so it's not like there's been a massive turnover of players. Some of the players he signed might yet move on for big money. Also, quoting

If we were sacking Karanka to replace him with no one and just accept relegation we should have just stuck with Karanka for the championship, I think we'd have bounce straight back up -----------

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

The big elephant in the room is that Karanka would be the perfect fit. 

- knows the division

- knows the area and ethos of the clib 

- proven track record in the division

- improved players whilst he coached us

- created a strong bond in the dressing room 

- recruitment was good under him, not sure if that was him or the people above him though. 

It would never happen though, because Gibson won’t admit to his own mistakes. But we could do a lot worse than Karanka. 

We did Agnew, Monk, Pulis and Woodgate 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I would like to think that Steve Gibson can realise that the expense of a DOF is far cheaper than the disasters we have repeatedly witnessed by not having an experienced DOF. OK maybe its the equivalent of an expensive player that we will then not be able to invest into the squad but I'd rather sacrifice that one Player than witness the series of car crash signings that we have had to endure.

Persistent failings have seen us gone from one extreme to the other. Paying highly inflated fees and wages for average journeymen footballers (some even worse than journeymen) at this level, awarded ludicrous contracts and wages meaning that we can't shift them and therefore stuck with them. To the the predictably ill fated knee jerk Golden Thread Committee buying cheap including a cheap Manager. Buy cheap you buy twice!

Of the three players signed last summer, two of them went back to where they came from. One seemingly out of his depth and the other an ill disciplined loose cannon. The one who showed some potential is seemingly a Midfield player who only covered a few games as an emergency Right Back for Charlton but was signed as a Right Back. Trying to be open minded In time they may come good but they were signed for the present to fill gaps in the squad. 

The cost of those two extreme failed philosophies will amount to many, many millions and has almost (and still may yet) cost us our Championship status this season. The cost of a DOF would be a far cheaper investment than relying on the incompetent and unfit for purpose methodology that has failed MFC miserably and repeatedly.

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I would like to think that Steve Gibson can realise that the expense of a DOF is far cheaper than the disasters we have repeatedly witnessed by not having an experienced DOF. OK maybe its the equivalent of an expensive player that we will then not be able to invest into the squad but I'd rather sacrifice that one Player than witness the series of car crash signings that we have had to endure.

Persistent failings have seen us gone from one extreme to the other. Paying highly inflated fees and wages for average journeymen footballers (some even worse than journeymen) at this level, awarded ludicrous contracts and wages meaning that we can't shift them and therefore stuck with them. To the the predictably ill fated knee jerk Golden Thread Committee buying cheap including a cheap Manager. Buy cheap you buy twice!

Of the three players signed last summer, two of them went back to where they came from. One seemingly out of his depth nd the other an ill disciplined loose cannon. The one who showed some potential is seemingly a Midfield player who only covered a few games as an emergency Right Back for Charlton but was signed as a Right Back. Trying to be open minded In time they may come good but they were signed for the present to fill gaps in the squad. 

The cost of those two extreme failed philosophies will amount to many, many millions and has almost (and still may yet) cost us our Championship status this season. The cost of a DOF would be a far cheaper investment than relying on the incompetent and unfit for purpose methodology that has failed MFC miserably and repeatedly.

Fully agree, the farce with Steve Round last summer massively backfired so I'd hope he's learned his lesson

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Fully agree, the farce with Steve Round last summer massively backfired so I'd hope he's learned his lesson

What actually happened there in the end? I can't remember specifics, did we try and change his role last minute?

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

What actually happened there in the end? I can't remember specifics, did we try and change his role last minute?

Yeah, was coming as DOF, got here and we wanted him to be assistant. Refused and was off. It was all a mess

• Angry 1

Peter Kenyon was here in some form of consultancy role around time we got Karanka. Gibson actually did an interview and paid tribute to work Kenyon did on behalf of the club. Gibson said he felt he was not being challenged enough within club. Could do worse than bring him back in a more formal role even if its part time.

31 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Yeah, was coming as DOF, got here and we wanted him to be assistant. Refused and was off. It was all a mess

Was it a huge miscommunication? How can one party get the indication of having one role, then get here and have a completely different role offered. Or was it that things had changed and someone pulled the plug on DoF role?

9 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Was it a huge miscommunication? How can one party get the indication of having one role, then get here and have a completely different role offered. Or was it that things had changed and someone pulled the plug on DoF role?

Not sure what happened but it was a mess. 

Round was told he was DOF. Got here and was asked to be assistant

Keane was here as a coach, refused to be anything less than assistant as that was his role at Ireland

Leo was told he'd be first team coach, got here and was asked to be keeper coach. That's why the Danny Coyne appointment was later than the others. 

16 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Keane was here as a coach, refused to be anything less than assistant as that was his role at Ireland

Leo was told he'd be first team coach, got here and was asked to be keeper coach. That's why the Danny Coyne appointment was later than the others. 

I remember the talk of Leo getting messed about too! Sounds like it was a mess all round. How can we expect anyone to come in a be successful, if we can't even assemble a backroom team! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I remember the talk of Leo getting messed about too! Sounds like it was a mess all round. How can we expect anyone to come in a be successful, if we can't even assemble a backroom team! 

Maybe Woodgate was originally supposed to be something else as well, but by the time everyone else had switched around and decided what they were going to be, all that was left was manager.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Sounds like a complete shambles. It certainly seemed that way at the time, with rumours galore and ending in a strange set up and Coyne obviously drafted in very last minute. What on earth was Gibson thinking?
I’m worried for next season. We’ve had the European approach with Karanka and Orta, completely thrown away when Gibson decided he wanted to go back to British. Then Pulis with the “root and branch review” which seemed to advocate for employing Woodgate and left us struggling financially. Woodgate and his inexperienced team leaving us fighting relegation and now Warnock. 

So what next? Warnock could do another review, Pulis style, but that didn’t work. He could stay on for a season or two but not much long term thinking there. Where do we go? What’s the plan? Back to a DOF and young coach? I’ve no idea what strategy we will lurch to next. 

Edited by Skinemrippers
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Lurker said:

That just sums up this whole ‘era’ started, carried on and ended farcically. If nothing else it shows a clear lack of planning from the start, people coming under false pretences meaning it all will have started off on the wrong foot full of confusion and probably some anger. I wonder if we got fobbed off at the last minute by someone we wanted as assistant.

Hopefully we hire someone who brings in there own team and sticks to their guns about it. Too many times Gibbo's loyalty has been a sticking point for incoming managers. And generally the staff who he was loyal too end up leaving a anyway. 

Perhaps we will end up with Pearson, Shakespeare and Walsh