oneBoro Forum

Candidates for our next manager...

1 hour ago, BegSteeleOrBoro said:

Revolutionary thought, but we could go for a young manager that is not totally inexperienced! It has been either dinosaurs or newbies under Gibson because he won’t “poach” another club’s manager. Dinosaurs tend to play negative football, e.g. Pulis, and get hate from the fans. The newbies have generally been awful at recruitment (Karanka the exception - but we had a DoF). If the next man’s job is to rebuild a passable championship side then a little experience or/and a DoF is a must have. Equally if the manager won’t commit to 3 years then they are not committed to a full rebuild so not suitable

Orta wasn't DoF, he was pretty much Karanka's assistant manager. I don't think we've ever had a DoF, at least not during the Riverside Era.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warnock deal 100% done and will be announced shortly. (Not the appointment I wanted) - Friend has been offered extension but on significantly reduced terms with possibility of coaching at the end

In fairness, Warnock didn't leave Cardiff that long ago, so it's not like there's been a massive turnover of players. Some of the players he signed might yet move on for big money. Also, quoting

If we were sacking Karanka to replace him with no one and just accept relegation we should have just stuck with Karanka for the championship, I think we'd have bounce straight back up -----------

Posted Images

The footballing world will need a reset after this Covid-19 crisis. Survivability and sustainability will be the priority for clubs outside of the Premiership. The types of contracts and remuneration that many at Boro were on will be a distant dream likewise the transfer fees. Wage caps are already being discussed although if its as effective as the fit and proper person test I'd be amazed.

The Golden Thread dream is maybe a nice to have but it is at least a five year plan as an absolute minimum and will take time to evolve. It can only work if the infrastructure is put in place correctly and most importantly that the club is on a secure and stable footing to begin with. This summer is not long enough to put in stable footings let alone start to follow the yellow (or should that be golden?) brick road.

It would be nice to start with a blank sheet and put all the square pegs in square holes from day one and press start but the likelihood is that it won't work immediately as we will not recruit the right overseers nor the right playing personnel. As we have witnessed this season it may even mean relegation which would financially devastate the club or even worse.

In the current climate I think pragmatic survival with affordability will come before fast flowing football (not just  with Boro), it has to. That's not to say that the long term objective can't still remain to move from functional to entertaining football its just that it needs to have a realistic chance of being implemented through being affordable both on and off the pitch otherwise its not achievable. How many years for example have Brentford been doing their thing and how many Managers have they had and here they are once again knocking on the door to the Premiership and just maybe they might make it (which I hope they do) this time.

• Like 1

That's all true, but the thing is were approaching a moment where we need to probably make 7-8 first team signings just to make up the numbers for next season. What we do THIS summer will shape the direction this football club goes in the next 5 years. This is a massive opportunity. Appointing warnock would just be setting us on the same road we have been on for the last 10/15 years, I'm convinced of it. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

That's all true, but the thing is were approaching a moment where we need to probably make 7-8 first team signings just to make up the numbers for next season. What we do THIS summer will shape the direction this football club goes in the next 5 years. This is a massive opportunity. Appointing warnock would just be setting us on the same road we have been on for the last 10/15 years, I'm convinced of it. 

It’s also a big opportunity to get it wrong. Personally I’d be happy to keep Warnock and have an experienced hand guide us through the summer because the rebuilding job is massive. We can’t afford to get it wrong. He knows the league, he can spot a bargain and he’ll have his contacts. I don’t think he’s quite as negative a manager as some make out.

It would be nice to change up the style, play out from the back, all that stuff but I don’t think any promising coaches who fit the bill would come here. Do you have anyone in mind when you’re thinking of this vision for us?

I wouldn’t mind Paul Cook tbh I said this last summer before we got Woody. 

• Like 3

I like paul cook too, hes done a great job with Wigan and will surely be available at the end of the season. 

I do think Pearson will be available regardless of if Watford survive or not and would be a decent shout for the position were in at the moment.

Ideally I'd like us to go down the karanka route again - someone who has got glowing reviews working as an assistant for a top club or alongside a top manager and has a strong footballing philosophy and most importantly a solid plan on how to implement it (the major thing woodgate is missing). Someone who knows the European market as there are limitless opportunities there to build a team on a smaller budget. I dont know any names off hand that fit this bill but they are out there.

• Like 1

cba looking back through 17 pages to check if hes been discussed, so apologises if this is bringing up old news. But a friend of mine always highlights one man, Karl Robinson at Oxford. only 39 years old, has a pretty decent record at all the clubs he's managed despite not having much money and most importantly plays attractive exciting football. 
hes got 2 playoff finishes in league 1 and and 1 promotion and it looks likely he will guide oxford to the championship as they are currently in the playoff final. 

also added bonus, he once turned down the job at leeds. 

• Like 5

The reason we did so well with Karanka was because he was a foreign coach had contacts in Spain, spoke spanish that allowed the club to attract and sign alot more foreign players such as Kike, Stuani, Ramirez etc. Therefore I would like the club to bring in a foreign manager who will come with new ideas and contacts the club currently doesn't possess. As I feel the club is too focused on England in scouting and we need more foreign players in the squad personally, thus need a manager who has contacts in these foreign markets. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, DurhamRed said:

The reason we did so well with Karanka was because he was a foreign coach had contacts in Spain, spoke spanish that allowed the club to attract and sign alot more foreign players such as Kike, Stuani, Ramirez etc. Therefore I would like the club to bring in a foreign manager who will come with new ideas and contacts the club currently doesn't possess. As I feel the club is too focused on England in scouting and we need more foreign players in the squad personally, thus need a manager who has contacts in these foreign markets. 

it wasnt because he was foreign we attracted those players, the reason was becauce he was allowed all his own backroom staff including orta as director of football.  Gibson and co took a back seat and let the footballing men take the reigns, even though they did try every now and again to ruin things like the Rhodes debacle.  Ortas and karankas period in charge shows what  can happen when the right men are placed in charge and given the freedom to mould their squad. atm we are clueless with transfers throwing good money after bad on useless players (insert whole boro squad). who ever we sign needs to be in charge or clubs direction but also needs to be properly vetted (insert the Monk debacle).  MIddlesbrough has always had abit more spending power than most we just need to do it properly. 

• Like 2

If I had a choice I'd go for Michael Reiziger. I think some of the ITK guys on here said he was linked with us last summer (or was it paper talk?). But he managed the Jong Ajax (Reserves) for 2 seasons, who at the time played in the 2nd division in Holland and won the league in his first season in charge. He is currently the assistant manager at Ajax now, working under Erik Ten Hag, who guided Ajax to the semi finals of the CL.

Ticks a lot of boxes in terms of what we need in my opinion. 

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

If I had a choice I'd go for Michael Reiziger. I think some of the ITK guys on here said he was linked with us last summer (or was it paper talk?). But he managed the Jong Ajax (Reserves) for 2 seasons, who at the time played in the 2nd division in Holland and won the league in his first season in charge. He is currently the assistant manager at Ajax now, working under Erik Ten Hag, who guided Ajax to the semi finals of the CL.

Definitely the kind of resume I'd hope we are looking for. I think with ajax they'll be grooming him to be the main man though, so possibly out of our reach 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Certainty the kind of appointment we need to make and has a awesome record with academy players. Additionally he might be able to  manage to get boro some loanees from Ajax! 

7 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

When you make this big announcement about driving a big, positive change in the footballing direction of your club, you don't just give up after one bad hire. Or, at least, you shouldn't. If Gibson really wants to deliver on that promise then Warnock is not the right man for the job.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it was all a massive PR exercise to generate positivity and it worked to some extent. I just wish they'd follow through on it, I'd have a whole lot more respect for Gibson if he stuck to his guns on the positive messages he puts out. After all, the message resonated with people because that's what the people actually wanted. It wasn't necessarily what I even wanted but it was the feeling of collective positivity that made me feel a bit differently about it.

If Gibson is just going to chop and change until he finds what delivers success, he should come out and deliver that message and be honest with fans. Optimistic, I know.

Indeed. But I'm at the point where I have no real faith in Gibson to do the right thing, regardless.  If he really wanted to set the direction as he announced, he needed to do more than just talk about it and then hire Woodgate. 

There needed to be someone, somewhere in the club competent to set this new direction, which means an experienced, but modern, DoF to my mind.  Someone to provide the consistency across managers, players, as to the club's identity, someone planning beyond the current season/manager.

As it is, in the absence of any of that, Warnock rebuilding, and hopefully sorting out recruitment/scouting, isn't the worst option.

• Like 2