oneBoro Forum

Candidates for our next manager...

I think Pearson would unite the fans but he wouldn't have much time to get his feet under the table and recruit what is virtually a new team. The next problem for me with Pearson is that he was overlooked previously and then there is his strong personality which can sometimes overflow and I'm not sure a controller like Gibson would appoint someone who may combust.

Houghton would have the exact same time constraint issues but also believes he is too good for this level (I agree with him)  and wants another Premiership club. If he came here he would want a war chest to build a team especially as there is very little foundation left with this existing squad. In short he could get a far better club than Boro so why would he want to risk his reputation.

It's possible that maybe the next Manager is already known but due to contractual reasons Warnock and Gibson are keeping tight lipped, it may even be Woodgate such is the disconnect that I feel the Club has with the fans. There will already have been scouting work done over this season and targets identified in line with the Golden Thread plan. Whether that suits with whoever the new incumbent will be I would very much doubt just based on the success of Bola and Browne.

With the situation the Club now finds itself in I don't think they have any other realistic or viable option other than Warnock regardless of which division we start next season in. The immediate need right now is that the Club stabilises itself in the Championship purely for financial reasons. It would have been nice to start with a clean slate regarding playing personnel as the present contract situation almost permits but the Club are in a "best laid plans" scenario. With the Woodgate appointment failing so badly where we are isn't what was planned or budgeted for and stark Commercial reasoning will now have to take precedent.

• Like 2
  • Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warnock deal 100% done and will be announced shortly. (Not the appointment I wanted) - Friend has been offered extension but on significantly reduced terms with possibility of coaching at the end

In fairness, Warnock didn't leave Cardiff that long ago, so it's not like there's been a massive turnover of players. Some of the players he signed might yet move on for big money. Also, quoting

If we were sacking Karanka to replace him with no one and just accept relegation we should have just stuck with Karanka for the championship, I think we'd have bounce straight back up -----------

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I think Pearson would unite the fans but he wouldn't have much time to get his feet under the table and recruit what is virtually a new team. The next problem for me with Pearson is that he was overlooked previously and then there is his strong personality which can sometimes overflow and I'm not sure a controller like Gibson would appoint someone who may combust.

Houghton would have the exact same time constraint issues but also believes he is too good for this level (I agree with him)  and wants another Premiership club. If he came here he would want a war chest to build a team especially as there is very little foundation left with this existing squad. In short he could get a far better club than Boro so why would he want to risk his reputation.

It's possible that maybe the next Manager is already known but due to contractual reasons Warnock and Gibson are keeping tight lipped, it may even be Woodgate such is the disconnect that I feel the Club has with the fans. There will already have been scouting work done over this season and targets identified in line with the Golden Thread plan. Whether that suits with whoever the new incumbent will be I would very much doubt just based on the success of Bola and Browne.

With the situation the Club now finds itself in I don't think they have any other realistic or viable option other than Warnock regardless of which division we start next season in. The immediate need right now is that the Club stabilises itself in the Championship purely for financial reasons. It would have been nice to start with a clean slate regarding playing personnel as the present contract situation almost permits but the Club are in a "best laid plans" scenario. With the Woodgate appointment failing so badly where we are isn't what was planned or budgeted for and stark Commercial reasoning will now have to take precedent.

Good post @Redcar Rioja 👍

I know this seems far fetched but lets say Warnock does stay as a manager but open to been dof, Chris Hughton is unlikely to come unless hes got a team behind him that he trust and can help him out. Hughton and Warnock if memory serves me well have alot of respect for each other, i have certainly never seen a spat between them when theyve been against each other. So wouldn't a really good management team be Hughton as a manager, Warnock as Dof and Kevin Blackwell as Hughtons assistant surely that will be enough to turn the tide with the right players coming in and to get some of the players with potential playing. 

Maybe it's just me, but if people didn't like TP, what exactly is different with Hughton...he loves giant centrebacks....his sides score very few goals, and he has never really achieved anything beyond the Championship.....not saying he wouldn't be a safe pair of hands....but not really the future....although he was one of Big Jack's "Irishmen", so maybe he learnt something from the master

22 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

Maybe it's just me, but if people didn't like TP, what exactly is different with Hughton...he loves giant centrebacks....his sides score very few goals, and he has never really achieved anything beyond the Championship.....not saying he wouldn't be a safe pair of hands....but not really the future....although he was one of Big Jack's "Irishmen", so maybe he learnt something from the master

I think Hughton is like Karanka in terms of style of play. Sets his teams up well but dont think they overly boring to point of Tony Pulis.

As far as saying he not achieved anything beyond championship i think that is harsh on him and arrogant for us to not think he a long term solution. 

Bottom line is we are championship (for now) and Hughton has achieved two promotions with two separate teams from championship. He then went on to keep one of them teams in the PL for 2 consecutive seasons, departing after keeping them up. So right now not only would I snap your hands off for Chris Hughton but i would be very happy with his appointment 

• Like 2

It’s all academic really as Warnock is a certainty, if we stay up.

However, personally I think someone like Marco Silva could be a good appointment. I think he’s a good manager but he didn’t do well at Everton so his reputation has taken a hit, which could give us a chance to hire him. Short of hiring a novice an hoping they come good I think we have to try and hire someone who is currently devalued and hope they prove themselves again with us.

18 minutes ago, Harry Tequila said:

It’s all academic really as Warnock is a certainty, if we stay up.

However, personally I think someone like Marco Silva could be a good appointment. I think he’s a good manager but he didn’t do well at Everton so his reputation has taken a hit, which could give us a chance to hire him. Short of hiring a novice an hoping they come good I think we have to try and hire someone who is currently devalued and hope they prove themselves again with us.

I don't think we can afford the luxury of buying damaged goods and hoping they come good. With our track record they will undoubtedly crash and burn here the same as they did elsewhere. With Warnock we know what he is capable of and its not much of a gamble or stretch of the imagination if we see a remarkable turnaround in results next season achieved with a squad assembled at a sensible cost and salary basis which doesn't risk the future of the club.

On 7/12/2020 at 8:52 PM, White Band said:

Hughton is beyond us financially and wouldn't come to a bottom end Championship or League 1 club.  He turned down others because he only wants to manage in Premier league. 

That’s fine to do when you are still living off your pay off from your last job. Maybe even better not to take another job in order to get the full compensation. However, there comes a time when the urge to manage and the desire to earn a living will kick in. I can’t see much opportunity in the Premiership this summer, with West Ham, Watford and Brighton being the most likely bottom survivors. I don’t see them chopping managers during the close season. In fact the most likely vacancyin the Premiership could be Burnley if Dyche continues his spat with the Chairman there, and I can’t see Hughton bring too keen on them!

That means if he is really determined on Premiership he has to wait for the first club(s) to lose their nerve in the new season and hope one of them fancies him. It a risk.

Having said that, I suspect if he were to move to a Championship side, he would look for one with a bigger salary and budget than we will be offering.

Bournemouth might be a nice South Coast gig for him if they struggle next season as many Prem droppers do plus there is cash behind the club. Then there is Norwich who may panic if things continue to fall. Southampton would also be an attractive proposition for him and with their turnover of Managers the opportunity may come along again soon.

1 hour ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Bournemouth might be a nice South Coast gig for him if they struggle next season as many Prem droppers do plus there is cash behind the club. Then there is Norwich who may panic if things continue to fall. Southampton would also be an attractive proposition for him and with their turnover of Managers the opportunity may come along again soon.

I don't think Norwich will continue to fall; they basically set themselves up to come straight back down this season, so I'd be extremely surprised if they're not promotion hunting next season again.

There's a good article on the Norwich situation here.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LinoJo3 said:

Norwich love farke, they won’t sack him just because of relegation.

I don't think they will sack him because of relegation I think its more a possibility that some clubs and players mentality find it difficult to shake off that losing feeling once they drop (Hull, Stoke, Boro, Huddersfield to just cite a few current falls from grace). Once caught in that tailspin its very difficult to snap out of it, having said that I think Norwich are more likely to emulate a Burnley model and bounce back but its by no means a guarantee.