oneBoro Forum

Candidates for our next manager...

17 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I think Reziger is an interesting shout but now is the wrong time for a young Manager to come in especially one from abroad. The Squad is quite literally decimated and the last time it was this thin was back in 1986. Granted it was even worse back then but the scale of trying to stabilise things on the playing side cannot be underestimated let alone the Covid-19 enforced reduced time scale in which to do it. 

Pearson and his team could do it but we also know exactly how it is going to end with him. The only problem is predicting when that end will come, ten weeks, ten months? Warnock can also do it and while we know he is short term we don't have the luxury right now of taking a long term view because of the state the club has been mismanaged down to. There is an immediate predicament which requires an immediate short term fix to plug the many leaks which have become gaping holes. Life is what happens unfortunately when you are busy planning other things especially if it is being planned by misguided albeit well intentioned executives.

In an ideal scenario we would have a DOF putting in a long term plan with a bright young Manager/Coach and likely a succession of them over time as we progress towards a new look Boro. To do that needs solid foundations and a degree of operational safety created by having sound commercial planning none of which is remotely in place at Boro let alone the DOF debate. We saw what happened after the ridiculous farce of appointing Woodgate with the holy trinity of Gibson, Bausor and Bevington deluding themselves. We are in a far worse state now than then largely because of their ineptness, you can't build a sustainable model on those foundations. 

Whoever comes in will have to do it by themselves because other than (hopefully) some financial backing the structure of the club is currently not fit for purpose, riddled with back slapping xenophobic Teesside nepotism. To me Warnock is not the vision I would ideally prefer for Boro but in the current state of the Club from top to bottom worsened by outside economic factors he is exactly what we need to make up some lost ground on the rest of the Championship. Maybe we can go again in a few years time once he stabilises things. It would have been great to do it now but that opportunity was well and truly squandered last Summer, the consequences of which have been predictably devastating.

It's a huge risk going for an unproven coach at this stage, I agree. But I also don't really see the point in getting an experienced head in to rebuild the squad in a way that we don't actually want to play going forwards.

• Like 2
  • Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warnock deal 100% done and will be announced shortly. (Not the appointment I wanted) - Friend has been offered extension but on significantly reduced terms with possibility of coaching at the end

In fairness, Warnock didn't leave Cardiff that long ago, so it's not like there's been a massive turnover of players. Some of the players he signed might yet move on for big money. Also, quoting

If we were sacking Karanka to replace him with no one and just accept relegation we should have just stuck with Karanka for the championship, I think we'd have bounce straight back up -----------

Posted Images

The problem is the timescale we have to appoint a new manager and then bring in all the new players we are definitely going to need. I cant see any alternative to Warnock unless the club has been already contacting available managers.

• Like 2
Just now, Uwe said:

He was well backed but also made a lot of money. Bought Kodja for £2.5m sold for £12m and sold Bobby Reid, Joe Bryan, Aden Flint (he was mega for them) and made really good loan signings Tammy Abraham springs to mind. He improved the every season bar this one all whilst playing good football. 
The main issue Bristol fans has was his constant tinkering. 
I’m not saying I want him but I wouldn’t throw myself off a bridge if he were to come 

the thing with Johnson, like other young managers, is how much was him and how much was his coaching team. His assistant is doing well 

1 minute ago, Will said:

It's a huge risk going for an unproven coach at this stage, I agree. But I also don't really see the point in getting an experienced head in to rebuild the squad in a way that we don't actually want to play going forwards.

It depends on how we want to play surely?

Personally I want Boro to be successful and to do that means getting results. Without the results any new Manager will be sacked, football management is a very short term game especially in the Championship. There are many understandably wanting Karanka back in the belief that he could rebuild that watertight defence and nick 1-0's along the way while recycling possession. Is Warnock's style of football less negative?

Warnock was asked directly at his pre-match press conference if he wanted to stay and he answered: “I came onboard from the start to try and make sure we stay in the league.

“It’s been very, very difficult and all along we’ve talked about, ‘let’s get to the end of the season and let’s talk about things’.

“Steve knows I won’t be disappointed if he wants to go in a different direction and likewise the same (if Warnock declined to stay). So I think we’ve just got to sit down and talk like I have done since I’ve known him.

I still think he is gonna get the job but maybe he wants a role behind the scenes? 

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-steve-gibson-set-18635454

23 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

It depends on how we want to play surely?

Personally I want Boro to be successful and to do that means getting results. Without the results any new Manager will be sacked, football management is a very short term game especially in the Championship. There are many understandably wanting Karanka back in the belief that he could rebuild that watertight defence and nick 1-0's along the way while recycling possession. Is Warnock's style of football less negative?

Still basing it on the vision that was presented last summer, Warnock very much doesn't fit the bill. 

Would I be angry if we got Warnock for another year? Probably not. It virtually guarantees us championship football the following season.

Would I prefer to just start a proper rebuild now rather than treading water for a year handing out potentially large contracts to players our next manager won't want? Yes, absolutely. Is that option more risky? Of course it is, but I'd still take that option.

• Like 3

Yeah I was 90% sure it was gonna be warnock till I read his comments in that article. Now I think its about as 50/50 as it was when pulis was coming to the end of his contract. I think with Johnson, cowley, Pearson etc all losing their jobs in recent weeks, Gibson is going to want to take his time with this. I would be very surprised if he didn't at least talk to them and also hold out to see who else might be free over the coming weeks when the season finishes up.

6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Yeah I was 90% sure it was gonna be warnock till I read his comments in that article. Now I think its about as 50/50 as it was when pulis was coming to the end of his contract. I think with Johnson, cowley, Pearson etc all losing their jobs in recent weeks, Gibson is going to want to take his time with this. I would be very surprised if he didn't at least talk to them and also hold out to see who else might be free over the coming weeks when the season finishes up.

How much time do you think he can take!

6 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Warnock was asked directly at his pre-match press conference if he wanted to stay and he answered: “I came onboard from the start to try and make sure we stay in the league.

“It’s been very, very difficult and all along we’ve talked about, ‘let’s get to the end of the season and let’s talk about things’.

“Steve knows I won’t be disappointed if he wants to go in a different direction and likewise the same (if Warnock declined to stay). So I think we’ve just got to sit down and talk like I have done since I’ve known him.

I still think he is gonna get the job but maybe he wants a role behind the scenes? 

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/neil-warnock-steve-gibson-set-18635454

A few of the press conferences he has given the odd hint that he would like to help behind the scenes, sort of DoF. I am not sure where that would leave Blackwell and Jepson though. He does seem loyal to them. If he does come in in that capacity I think it is going to be back with a young coach. I doubt someone like pearson for example would want Warnock directing things from above. I am pretty much sold on a DoF role, to provide a direction and manage the development of the squad. It would probably suit Warnock, living in Cornwall and that would provide the space for the new coach to work without any interference. 
We definitely need some experience in there this summer. Due to my negative appraisal of the current senior pros I think we need at least 10 new players. Others, who feel the senior pros will provide a core may say we may only need 6 or 7. Thats still a lot and in this division as we have seen over the past few years we need someone who has the experience of building a squad for the championship. Warnock is probably the best placed guy for that. I do hope he stays in some capacity.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Will said:

Still basing it on the vision that was presented last summer, Warnock very much doesn't fit the bill. 

That Ship has not only sailed but was taking in water as soon as it left the port. 

I would much prefer that vision but we have absolutely zero on which to build it, there are no suitable foundations at all whatsoever. The senior Boro executives have shown that they didn't have a clue at the time how to plan or implement it so why would they now?

Plus it also seems clear that they didn't have two pennies to rub together when they launched it. That then maybe ever so slightly calls into question was the "Golden Thread" like Woodgate's appointment itself just all marketing spin and bullshine for cheap and struggling but trying and sell some snake oil to the masses?

The only way it would have worked was if they got lucky and that very rarely features in any business plan for a good reason. They have had the last thirteen months to build on that "Golden Thread" philosophy by developing an infrastructure if it was ever a genuine attempt. Meanwhile they jettisoned one of the architects in December for whatever reason and still have a recruitment department that is famed for its failures.

Whoever comes in has to stand on their own two feet and quickly because if they are to rely on those above them they are doomed to fail and fail miserably. I don't think the Club can handle two consecutive disasters on the off chance that we may play nice football at some distant point.

The "Golden Thread" was as empty and meaningless as "Smash the League", both nice to have and both I believe to be from the heart and with a real passion but perhaps naive belief, on that I have no doubt but both were without any substantive plan other than a desire.

• Like 2

The golden thread argument only works if we have the youth teams playing the same formation and using the same tactics. It’s laughable that they assumed Woodgate was the man to implement that with his rookie coaching staff. It would be hard for an experienced manager to do. But alas, here we are. 

im more inclined to believe that it was just propaganda to make us go for the cheap options and league one players as someone mentioned earlier, whilst we cut back on spending. 

Realistically we need a hard reset and some home truths being said for us to move forward with any significance. 

it’s very telling that our most successful period came when Gibson had less control (Karanka) and the stability was reduced when Gibson went over Karankas head with signings like Rhodes and Downing.