oneBoro Forum

Candidates for our next manager...

4 minutes ago, Erimus 63 said:

It is a concern that Woodgate is still connected with the club. Alongside Clayton's comment that Woodgate would've been ok with an adviser.

Agnew was 'connected' with the club for a while after he was 'relieved' of duty (remember the Gazette reporters being banned by MFC for asking what happened to him?) But then he just vanished one day. I heard the coastguard found a top in the North Sea with the letters SA on it. Apparently Jonathan Woodgate is very relieved that he has different letters on his top.

• Haha 2
  • Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warnock deal 100% done and will be announced shortly. (Not the appointment I wanted) - Friend has been offered extension but on significantly reduced terms with possibility of coaching at the end

In fairness, Warnock didn't leave Cardiff that long ago, so it's not like there's been a massive turnover of players. Some of the players he signed might yet move on for big money. Also, quoting

If we were sacking Karanka to replace him with no one and just accept relegation we should have just stuck with Karanka for the championship, I think we'd have bounce straight back up -----------

Posted Images

Warnock will be meeting SG as planned. Despite his success I’m not convinced Warnock is the right manager or SG has learnt lessons to stop the clubs decline and change his ways. It could be the last few years has knocked my belief in SG and pretty pi££Ed off on what I have seen in Scouts, manages and players. 
What I can state I’m glad it’s over, I’m happy Warnock saved us from the drop and some players upped there game. 

Said it before. Woodgate will be back as manager or assistant manager and Gibson will say he made an unfair appointment with Woodgate and it was too much to ask of a young manager. He feels responsible so Woodgate will work along side Warnock.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, GrimsbyBoro said:

Excellent hopefully something is decided and he either stays or leaves as the managerial equivalent of Uwe Fuchs.

This. We can’t afford to take time with this appointment. If he’s staying let’s get on with it, if not let’s get on with finding the next man.

I'm happy either way if Warnock stays or goes. I think over the past 3 seasons this squad has demonstrated that it can't play possession football and short of a drastic back to front overhaul - which we don't have the money to achieve - it will stay that way. Warnock is a manager that can get a team to play above the sum of it's parts. However a new manager could be exciting, someone up and coming to try and build over the next few years with. Short term it's about moving up the table and developing some of these younger guys. Fletcher, Tavernier, Coulson, Wing, Fry, Spence, Dijksteel, McNair are the young spine we should be building this team on.

The most important hire this summer is a director of football in my opinion, whether that be someone like Warnock or a more experienced DoF remains to be seen...

I can't think there are going to be too many people throwing their hats into the ring, unless Gibson has a change of heart and decides to stop trying to be a chairman / manager.

Nigel Pearson is the only person I know of who is available and might be interested. Warnock is at least a safe short-term bet, but with him you're only ever 1 season away from having to bring in a replacement.

Maybe, as some have already suggested, the way forward is to look abroad again, for a manager who is both fairly young and capable?

If Woodgate is still on the books would it be possible/appropriate to send him out on “managerial” loan 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

I’m hoping that if it’s not Warnock, Gibson has someone lined up already. We need to hit the ground running with the rebuild needed, can’t wait for 3 weeks while we do an “extensive recruitment” process (and end up with Woodgate!) 

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Chris Hughton becoming the new Bristol City manager!

I'm not sure if he's been mentioned but would Lee Johnson be a candidate, oversaw almost 4 years of improvement at Bristol despite having his squad ripped apart year on year. Our next manager has to be someone who will be here for the long haul, we can't keep churning through a manager a season. That's if Warnock isn't up for a couple more seasons of management.

58 minutes ago, Foogle said:

I'm not sure if he's been mentioned but would Lee Johnson be a candidate, oversaw almost 4 years of improvement at Bristol despite having his squad ripped apart year on year. Our next manager has to be someone who will be here for the long haul, we can't keep churning through a manager a season. That's if Warnock isn't up for a couple more seasons of management.

Lee Johnson done OK with Bristol considering his inexperience when he started in that he kept them up there but choked every season and as a consequence they continually missed out. That is why they have now gone for Chris Hughton. Why on earth would we want to replicate what Bristol have done over the last few years or why would Lee Johnson be any different here? He won't have a settled squad, he won't have more money than he had at Bristol (probably less) and its not as if he will have a skilled and experienced backroom team to support him in the way they supported Woodgate (removes tongue from cheek).

Long haul Managers are a fantasy in football generally and especially so in the Championship where they are lucky if they last two years. I'd reckon that no more than ten or so Managers have more than 5 or 6 years service with their current clubs.