oneBoro Forum

Candidates for our next manager...

This is the EFL's list of Championship managers who've been in position since before this season started:

Tony Mowbray (Blackburn Rovers) - February 2017

Paul Cook (Wigan Athletic) - May 2017

Alex Neil (Preston North End) - July 2017

Lee Bowyer (Charlton Athletic) - March 2018

Marcelo Bielsa (Leeds United) - June 2018

Thomas Frank (Brentford) - October 2018

Mark Warbuton (Queens Park Rangers) - May 2019

Scott Parker (Fulham) - May 2019

Slaven Bilic (West Bromwich Albion) - June 2019

Steve Cooper (Swansea City) - June 2019

Grant McCann (Hull City) - June 2019

Sabri Lamouchi (Nottingham Forest) - June 2019

Phillip Cocu (Derby County) - July 2019

So 11 clubs have changed manager this season, and seven of the remaining 13 managers were only appointed last summer.

At a guess, I'd say the average life expectancy of a Championship manager is around one year. Not really long enough to build and mould a team in your image, is it?

EDIT - The EFL's longest-serving manager is Gareth Ainsworth. And look what he's achieved given time and patience!

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warnock deal 100% done and will be announced shortly. (Not the appointment I wanted) - Friend has been offered extension but on significantly reduced terms with possibility of coaching at the end

In fairness, Warnock didn't leave Cardiff that long ago, so it's not like there's been a massive turnover of players. Some of the players he signed might yet move on for big money. Also, quoting

If we were sacking Karanka to replace him with no one and just accept relegation we should have just stuck with Karanka for the championship, I think we'd have bounce straight back up -----------

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Lee Johnson done OK with Bristol considering his inexperience when he started in that he kept them up there but choked every season and as a consequence they continually missed out. That is why they have now gone for Chris Hughton. Why on earth would we want to replicate what Bristol have done over the last few years or why would Lee Johnson be any different here? He won't have a settled squad, he won't have more money than he had at Bristol (probably less) and its not as if he will have a skilled and experienced backroom team to support him in the way they supported Woodgate (removes tongue from cheek).

Long haul Managers are a fantasy in football generally and especially so in the Championship where they are lucky if they last two years. I'd reckon that no more than ten or so Managers have more than 5 or 6 years service with their current clubs.

Who's to say that we'd replicate what Bristol have done if he came here, most Managers who win promotion have never done it before, and there's no such thing as a manager being a sure fire way to get promoted. He got the Bristol City players playing above themselves and a lot of his players got big moves away and have regressed since. There's no guarantees in this league but I think he'd be a good option.

Also I meant long haul by modern standards which is probably about 3 seasons.

• Like 1

Was just listening in to the chat between Gibson, Bausor and Warnock in the bar at Rockliffe Hall.

Warnock is getting a one year contract. Woodie is going to be assistant, doing all the oranges at half time.

Anyone with transfer value is going to have their contracts run down. Anyone who has no value will have their contracts extended, if they are good lads about it.

The plan next year is to sue every other club in the league for FFP infringements and get promoted with 30 points. All away wins.

Other than that, Bausor is looking forward to his happy meal on the way home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
3 minutes ago, Foogle said:

Who's to say that we'd replicate what Bristol have done if he came here, most Managers who win promotion have never done it before, and there's no such thing as a manager being a sure fire way to get promoted. He got the Bristol City players playing above themselves and a lot of his players got big moves away and have regressed since. There's no guarantees in this league but I think he'd be a good option.

Also I meant long haul by modern standards which is probably about 3 seasons.

I think for where the club presently finds itself Johnson would be too much of a gamble, even more so than Monk was. I would be surprised if SG went for another gamble although having said that stupid is as stupid does and so in the end I probably wouldn't be. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Boro Badger said:

Was just listening in to the chat between Gibson, Bausor and Warnock in the bar at Rockliffe Hall.

Warnock is getting a one year contract. Woodie is going to be assistant, doing all the oranges at half time.

Anyone with transfer value is going to have their contracts run down. Anyone who has no value will have their contracts extended, if they are good lads about it.

The plan next year is to sue every other club in the league for FFP infringements and get promoted with 30 points. All away wins.

Other than that, Bausor is looking forward to his happy meal on the way home.

I heard all this too. The only thing you missed is that Warnock contract is one ‘calendar’ year  Based on the Chinese year  which takes into account when he started here. So he will oversee the January transfer market then be on his way out About 2 weeks after that. Also woody won’t be trusted with a knife for the half time oranges so we are busy setting up a contract with Capri sun instead 👍

• Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Uwe said:

I heard all this too. The only thing you missed is that Warnock contract is one ‘calendar’ year  Based on the Chinese year  which takes into account when he started here. So he will oversee the January transfer market then be on his way out About 2 weeks after that. Also woody won’t be trusted with a knife for the half time oranges so we are busy setting up a contract with Capri sun instead 👍

I think you must have missed the bit where Neil Maddison is going to be the new DOF with Downing as his deputy!

35 minutes ago, Boro Badger said:

Woody is using one of those plastic knives with the blunt edges that you give to toddlers, just so he doesn't cut himself. 

43 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Woody is using one of those plastic knives with the blunt edges that you give to toddlers, just so he doesn't cut himself. 

Maybe we should baby proof all his cutlery? 

image.gif

image.gif

• Haha 1

Do you reckon there will be news tomorrow? Warnock said he wanted to turn his phone off and take a break after tomorrow. If not tomorrow then it might not be any news for a couple of weeks

1 minute ago, BoroJake said:

Do you reckon there will be news tomorrow? Warnock said he wanted to turn his phone off and take a break after tomorrow. If not tomorrow then it might not be any news for a couple of weeks

They won’t want to release any details until all is sorted out. There are rumours that Warnock is going to sign a 3 year deal but I have no idea if there is any truth to that. He can always turn his phone off but use another number that only Gibson would have access to if he needed to contact him. I would like to think that it won’t be dragged out too long as I think we Boro fans suffered enough last year. 

21 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Do you mean a burner?

Not necessarily billy. He could call him on his wife’s phone or some other family members phone?

18 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Lee Johnson done OK with Bristol considering his inexperience when he started in that he kept them up there but choked every season and as a consequence they continually missed out. That is why they have now gone for Chris Hughton. Why on earth would we want to replicate what Bristol have done over the last few years or why would Lee Johnson be any different here? He won't have a settled squad, he won't have more money than he had at Bristol (probably less) and its not as if he will have a skilled and experienced backroom team to support him in the way they supported Woodgate (removes tongue from cheek).

Long haul Managers are a fantasy in football generally and especially so in the Championship where they are lucky if they last two years. I'd reckon that no more than ten or so Managers have more than 5 or 6 years service with their current clubs.

But thats just a reflection of the ludicrous path football has gone down in the last couple of decades...fans and owners demanding instant success.

I would really love to see Boro buck the trend and find a manager who we can stick with for 5 or 6 years.

Football in general IMO needs to get back to the the Alex Ferguson & Arsene Wenger era, where managers are allowed to stay long enough to really stamp their mark on the club and create strong identities.

It may be trendy in Europe to only keep a manager for 2 or 3 seasons, but thats no reason for us to copy them. All it does feed the transfer market, as squads are rebuilt more often (and inflate agents' bank accounts) and keep the managerial merry-go -round spinning.

It may work for a few clubs, but that doesn't mean everyone else should follow suit.

• Like 3

We are too small a club to ‘buck the trend’. 
If we find a manager who performs well enough for us to want to keep him (promotion and prem establishing) he will most likely get taken by a bigger team.

If we have a manager no other team wants it means he’s most likely under performing and will eventually get sacked.

The closest we have came to bucking the trend is Karanka, I think he was one of the few who felt an actual connection (Juninho style) to the club and area and would have turned down job offers from other mediocre teams to stay here.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, LinoJo3 said:

We are too small a club to ‘buck the trend’. 
If we find a manager who performs well enough for us to want to keep him (promotion and prem establishing) he will most likely get taken by a bigger team.

If we have a manager no other team wants it means he’s most likely under performing and will eventually get sacked.

The closest we have came to bucking the trend is Karanka, I think he was one of the few who felt an actual connection (Juninho style) to the club and area and would have turned down job offers from other mediocre teams to stay here.

a cheerful outlook