oneBoro Forum

Candidates for our next manager...

30 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Answer to both... maybe if Gibson had done his due diligence whilst he was considering firing Woodgate after lockdown and had some managers in mind for when the season ended, we wouldn't be in the situation where Warnock was the only option worth taking? The 'short notice' is only something defined by Gibson's actions, or rather his inaction. It's not something that is unnaturally forced upon us.

Maybe Warnock is the best option as a result of that inaction. But all it says to me is Gibson never seriously considered anyone else. Just like he never seriously considered anyone but Pulis after Monk left, or anyone but Woodgate after Pulis decided not to renew his contract. When Gibson has his mind set on something, nothing will change its course.

Why does any manager except Warnock have to be someone like Woodgate? Is our managerial pool just people with little to no experience but knowledge of Boro or people with so much experience they'll be considering retirement soon? Of course it's not. We've apparently got money to spend again, why spend it on players to suit a manager who's not gonna be here for the long haul? What realistically happens (based on what we've seen since Aitor left) when Warnock leaves? We have to start again... again!

I respect your opinion 99% of the time Wilson but the only times that Boro have ever failed abominably are under rookie managers who haven’t got a clue. Thee is no such thing as a long term manager in the championship so I think if Warnock was here for two years he would be deemed a long serving manager and I honestly don’t think that there could be a better appointment under the current circumstances. We can look forward to moaning about the team at the right end of the table next season 👍

• Like 5
  • Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warnock deal 100% done and will be announced shortly. (Not the appointment I wanted) - Friend has been offered extension but on significantly reduced terms with possibility of coaching at the end

In fairness, Warnock didn't leave Cardiff that long ago, so it's not like there's been a massive turnover of players. Some of the players he signed might yet move on for big money. Also, quoting

If we were sacking Karanka to replace him with no one and just accept relegation we should have just stuck with Karanka for the championship, I think we'd have bounce straight back up -----------

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, J.T. said:

I think it’s more the fact that he lives down south. Is he really going to want to work at the other end of the country to where is home is for another 3 years?

Good point, but i am sure will if he gets us promoted.

14 minutes ago, Blanco said:

I respect your opinion 99% of the time Wilson but the only times that Boro have ever failed abominably are under rookie managers who haven’t got a clue. Thee is no such thing as a long term manager in the championship so I think if Warnock was here for two years he would be deemed a long serving manager and I honestly don’t think that there could be a better appointment under the current circumstances. We can look forward to moaning about the team at the right end of the table next season 👍

It’s not about a long term manager though. It’s about a long term strategy. Warnock is a short term strategy before we will no doubt change the strategy when he inevitably leaves. If we choose a style of play we want then the next manager can just pick up where the last one finished which removes the need for a complete overhaul of staff and players every time we have a change of manager. 

Also, for some reason a lot of people on here seem to have this strange belief that:

Attractive football = rookie manager

I am not for one moment suggesting we appoint another rookie manager. What I am suggesting is following through with Gibson’s vision regarding attractive attacking football that he came out with last year. There are plenty of managers who have experience of playing decent football in the lower leagues and on the continent. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Z3man said:

Good point, but i am sure will if he gets us promoted.

That’s a huge IF based on where we currently find ourselves. 

19 minutes ago, J.T. said:

It’s not about a long term manager though. It’s about a long term strategy. Warnock is a short term strategy before we will no doubt change the strategy when he inevitably leaves. If we choose a style of play we want then the next manager can just pick up where the last one finished which removes the need for a complete overhaul of staff and players every time we have a change of manager. 

Also, for some reason a lot of people on here seem to have this strange belief that:

Attractive football = rookie manager

I am not for one moment suggesting we appoint another rookie manager. What I am suggesting is following through with Gibson’s vision regarding attractive attacking football that he came out with last year. There are plenty of managers who have experience of playing decent football in the lower leagues and on the continent. 

Where in the name of God did you get the idea that Gibson has a strategy of playing attractive attacking football? The idea is to be top end championship or low end premiership. He couldn’t give a damn about how it looks so long as it is successful and quite frankly I support that. Get as high as you can, end of

I think what sways me away from Warnock is that for the first time in a long time, we have the ability to recruit more or less a whole squad which will be entirely the managers. He won’t necessarily have to adopt players he doesn’t want or try to shoe horn them into a position which we have had such a bad habit of since Monk left. I’m concerned that Gibson is not looking at the bigger picture here. 

Why would any player want to come to us if Warnock is on a one year rolling deal knowing that a new manager might come in and not pick them in the future?

Whilst I understand the logic behind Warnock and the safe hands options, we are having to result to Warnock due to our *** show this time last year with Woodgate.  

Warnock will become manager, that I am sure on, but it just means that we will recruit Warnock players who play his style. When he goes, we’re back to square one when he arrived of having players who don’t fit his system. 

Now is the perfect time to be bold, be daring and give boro a revamp. Instead of changing the builder to build a house on bad foundations, let’s lay some new foundations and start again. 

Fresh, forward thinking and strategically planned. If the money is there to spend please go after a high profile manager like Leeds did with Bielsa. That appointment was worth more than any player they could have bought on the market. There must be someone like that available instead of an ageing Warnock??

• Like 4
5 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

I think what sways me away from Warnock is that for the first time in a long time, we have the ability to recruit more or less a whole squad which will be entirely the managers. He won’t necessarily have to adopt players he doesn’t want or try to shoe horn them into a position which we have had such a bad habit of since Monk left. I’m concerned that Gibson is not looking at the bigger picture here. 

Why would any player want to come to us if Warnock is on a one year rolling deal knowing that a new manager might come in and not pick them in the future?

Whilst I understand the logic behind Warnock and the safe hands options, we are having to result to Warnock due to our *** show this time last year with Woodgate.  

Warnock will become manager, that I am sure on, but it just means that we will recruit Warnock players who play his style. When he goes, we’re back to square one when he arrived of having players who don’t fit his system. 

Now is the perfect time to be bold, be daring and give boro a revamp. Instead of changing the builder to build a house on bad foundations, let’s lay some new foundations and start again. 

Fresh, forward thinking and strategically planned. If the money is there to spend please go after a high profile manager like Leeds did with Bielsa. That appointment was worth more than any player they could have bought on the market. There must be someone like that available instead of an ageing Warnock??

"recruit more or less a whole squad which will be entirely the managers" 

We have seen it before when huge changes are made to playing staff it can take a long time to gell in. Unless ofcourse some of the players are familiar with the current manager. 

"Warnock will become manager, that I am sure on, but it just means that we will recruit Warnock players who play his style. When he goes, we’re back to square one when he arrived of having players who don’t fit his system."

Yes there will inevitably be changes to playing staff every time we change managers, heck we bring new players in each transfer window. Warnock will likely build a squad of strong and experienced players. Which isnt a bad base to build from if in the event we do change direction post Warnock. 

"Fresh, forward thinking and strategically planned. If the money is there to spend please go after a high profile manager like Leeds did with Bielsa. That appointment was worth more than any player they could have bought on the market. There must be someone like that available instead of an ageing Warnock??"

I'd love a Bielsa type of manager but those kind of managers also want alot of money to get the types of players they want. Which I don't think we have, it's either a decent manager or rebuild the squad which we desperately need to do. We have a glaring lack of leadership in our squad, we have a few youngsters with potential. 

I also agree with others regarding "long term" managers, you don't see many teams keeping managers beyond 3 years. So Warnock being here for a year or two isn't a bad thing for either party right now. 

• Like 2

I’m happy with Warnock. A 2 year contract seen to the end will be a longer term appointment than Woodgate, Monk, Pulis, Strachan etc. I just hope he is asked to build for the long term as well as making us competitive now, which with Spence, Dijksteel, Tav and Fry still in the team gives a good foundation. 

People seem to believe that he will bring in plodders on long term contracts. I’ve no idea what that’s based on!  Our recruitment since Karanka has been abysmal and has resulted in this lopsided squad with no umph and no goals. Warnock knows how to make a team competitive, I don’t know why people seem to equate that with being boring or short termism. How many of Karanka’s signings stayed more than a couple of seasons? 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, J.T. said:

I believe the game has progressed and the days are now gone where your Mourinho-style hard-to-beat teams are successful. Hence why Mourinho himself has struggled for the last 5 years. Look at all of the top PL teams currently. Liverpool, City, Leicester, United and Chelsea are all playing an attacking style of football. 

Even looking at our own league, Leeds, West Brom, Brentford and Fulham all play attractive, attacking football. I share your belief that Warnock will do well and might have us up challenging around the playoffs next season. But then what? He goes and we are left with his players on long contracts. We are better having a style of football. Appoint managers and buy players to fit that style. And end the continuous cycle of having to overhaul the squad on a near annual basis. 

But that is also dependent on getting the right man in, and also the infrastructure behind him. We went the “attractive” route with Monk and we have supposedly been left with these attractive players but on ridiculous contracts, for which we are paying the price. If it works I suppose its great but it does seem to come with a price trying to get there. Managerial appointments are going to be constant gambles and unless you get the back office right I suppose we are always going to be in this constant state of flux every year or three. Brentford seem to have it right behind the scenes but even 2 years ago their salary to revenue ratio was 135%. Ours was 70%. That is not going to be sustainable for the one year that I can remember where they have finished above us. 
If we go the way you want I am sure we will all be excited about it and as with JW we will all sort of buy into it for a while, until results or performances bring the fickleness out. I just think Warnock is right for us now and possibly will give the club some breathing space to look at things behind the scenes, again, if they want that.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Skinemrippers said:

I’m happy with Warnock. A 2 year contract seen to the end will be a longer term appointment than Woodgate, Monk, Pulis, Strachan etc. I just hope he is asked to build for the long term as well as making us competitive now, which with Spence, Dijksteel, Tav and Fry still in the team gives a good foundation. 

People seem to believe that he will bring in plodders on long term contracts. I’ve no idea what that’s based on!  Our recruitment since Karanka has been abysmal and has resulted in this lopsided squad with no umph and no goals. Warnock knows how to make a team competitive, I don’t know why people seem to equate that with being boring or short termism. How many of Karanka’s signings stayed more than a couple of seasons? 

Out of interest have you taken a look at Warnocks transfer dealings? I'm quite the opposite and I'm not sure where anyone would get faith to trust Warnock in a squad rebuild. Without exception all his bigger money purchases have either been bang average or absolute duds. Glatzel 6m dud, Flint 5m dud, Josh Murphy 11m dud, Bobby Reid 11m dud,  Gary Madine 6m dud.  There's a ton of 2/3m purchases none of which have pulled up any trees. Add to that when was the last time you seen a Cardiff player move on for big money after a cracking season? 

Don't get me wrong. Warnock has plenty of qualities. He's refreshingly honest, makes his teams graft and hard to beat. But tasking him with a squad rebuild (especially if money is available) has not shown to be his strength. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Blanco said:

Where in the name of God did you get the idea that Gibson has a strategy of playing attractive attacking football? The idea is to be top end championship or low end premiership. He couldn’t give a damn about how it looks so long as it is successful and quite frankly I support that. Get as high as you can, end of

Yet you can’t stand Karanka, very strange. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Dan1234 said:

Out of interest have you taken a look at Warnocks transfer dealings? I'm quite the opposite and I'm not sure where anyone would get faith to trust Warnock in a squad rebuild. Without exception all his bigger money purchases have either been bang average or absolute duds. Glatzel 6m dud, Flint 5m dud, Josh Murphy 11m dud, Bobby Reid 11m dud,  Gary Madine 6m dud.  There's a ton of 2/3m purchases none of which have pulled up any trees. Add to that when was the last time you seen a Cardiff player move on for big money after a cracking season? 

In fairness, Warnock didn't leave Cardiff that long ago, so it's not like there's been a massive turnover of players. Some of the players he signed might yet move on for big money.

Also, quoting the high-value players shows the bad side of his transfer dealings, which is factually accurate but only one side of the story. On the flipside, he signed the following players at Cardiff:

1. Sol Bamba. Would give me a lot more confidence at the heart of our defence than Friend. Signed on a free.

2. Junior Hoilett. How many players in our squad are more skilful? Signed on a free.

3. Neil Etheridge. Quality keeper. Signed on a free.

4. Nathaniel Mendez-Laing. A pacy and skilful winger, yet again exposing the myth that Warnock's sides are all about turgid Pulisball. Signed on a free.

5. Callum Paterson. A versatile and highly regarded player. Cost £350,000.

In other words, for one week's worth of Mesut Ozil wages, Warnock brought in five players who played a key role in Cardiff getting promoted to the Premier League, and who are arguably better than any players Boro have in comparable positions. Is that such a bad legacy to leave behind if (and I'm not accepting this is a definitive 'when') he leaves after one season in charge?

In an ideal world, Steve Gibson would pause in front of his shaving mirror, realise the utter futility of his previous approach to football, and immediately put an ad on Gumtree for a director of football. But he's never going to do that. Instead, MFC will continue to drift according to the whims of our manager of the day. And on that basis, I nail my colours to Warnock's mast. He got an unfashionable Cardiff side to the Premier League scoring lots of goals, and I genuinely believe he can get us into the play-offs. After staring into the abyss of League One following several years of abysmal non-entertainment, I'd give my eye teeth to see him replicate that feat here.

• Like 10

A young Manager with money to spend to assemble a squad of exciting positive entertaining football was tried with Monk and it failed or at least we knee jerked and he was gone.

An experienced, tried and tested proven old war horse of a Manager, came in and we lost the will to live with the ignominy of those Villa Play Off games being the "high" point. By the end there was open revolt starting to stir on the terraces and so he became another part of our history.

Then we went back to young Coach with a dream but no substance (and no Players) to back it up but he was the outstanding (or in reality the cheapest) candidate. That it failed should have come as no surprise.

If MFC want to build something long term it shouldn't and can't be with the Manager. It needs to start and be at a higher level, more likely with a DOF but it appears that option doesn't sit favourably with SG so it has to reside with himself. That mindset hasn't materialised from him since 1986 so I think it fair to suggest that unless he has a Road to Damascus moment its unlikely to change anytime soon despite brief flirts with Kenyon in the past.. 

Without it being part of a key strategic plan for the wider business of MFC, merely appointing a modern thinking bright young Manager isn't going to work as its very likely that they will be history in 12 to 24 months unless they hit the ground running and have us as genuine promotion chasers which is a very tall and optimistic hope as well as probably unrealistic and unfair.

If the Organisation doesn't have infrastructure in place then the business has to appoint Managers that are a best fit for what does exist. The Manager should be the icing on the cake not the actual cake itself. 

• Like 4

There are some interesting points in the above post, but I’m not sure that Pulis was hounded out of the club. He was offered a new deal on reduced wages and he declined. He would probably still be in charge if he hadn’t. 

• Like 1