oneBoro Forum

Candidates for our next manager...

2 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

There are some interesting points in the above post, but I’m not sure that Pulis was hounded out of the club. He was offered a new deal on reduced wages and he declined. He would probably still be in charge if he hadn’t. 

If that was the case then thank god he declined the new deal. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warnock deal 100% done and will be announced shortly. (Not the appointment I wanted) - Friend has been offered extension but on significantly reduced terms with possibility of coaching at the end

In fairness, Warnock didn't leave Cardiff that long ago, so it's not like there's been a massive turnover of players. Some of the players he signed might yet move on for big money. Also, quoting

If we were sacking Karanka to replace him with no one and just accept relegation we should have just stuck with Karanka for the championship, I think we'd have bounce straight back up -----------

Posted Images

2 hours ago, RiseAgainst said:

In fairness, Warnock didn't leave Cardiff that long ago, so it's not like there's been a massive turnover of players. Some of the players he signed might yet move on for big money.

Also, quoting the high-value players shows the bad side of his transfer dealings, which is factually accurate but only one side of the story. On the flipside, he signed the following players at Cardiff:

1. Sol Bamba. Would give me a lot more confidence at the heart of our defence than Friend. Signed on a free.

2. Junior Hoilett. How many players in our squad are more skilful? Signed on a free.

3. Neil Etheridge. Quality keeper. Signed on a free.

4. Nathaniel Mendez-Laing. A pacy and skilful winger, yet again exposing the myth that Warnock's sides are all about turgid Pulisball. Signed on a free.

5. Callum Paterson. A versatile and highly regarded player. Cost £350,000.

In other words, for one week's worth of Mesut Ozil wages, Warnock brought in five players who played a key role in Cardiff getting promoted to the Premier League, and who are arguably better than any players Boro have in comparable positions. Is that such a bad legacy to leave behind if (and I'm not accepting this is a definitive 'when') he leaves after one season in charge?

In an ideal world, Steve Gibson would pause in front of his shaving mirror, realise the utter futility of his previous approach to football, and immediately put an ad on Gumtree for a director of football. But he's never going to do that. Instead, MFC will continue to drift according to the whims of our manager of the day. And on that basis, I nail my colours to Warnock's mast. He got an unfashionable Cardiff side to the Premier League scoring lots of goals, and I genuinely believe he can get us into the play-offs. After staring into the abyss of League One following several years of abysmal non-entertainment, I'd give my eye teeth to see him replicate that feat here.

Its not only one side of the story though. Its the only side of the story when Warnock has spent money. You have cherry picked 5 freebies that came off which is great, but you've only actually showed one side of the story because for every Bamba I can link at least 2 freebies that did absolutely nothing. If you have enough goes you eventually get some right. 

Its a little like Mogga at us. Lauded and rightly so for bargains like Adomah and Friend, but lets not forget the amount of Maulary Martins and Frazer Richardson's. It easy to rose tint cheap signings. Truth is Warnock is no better or worse than most managers at unearthing the occasional bargain however he is definitely poo when it comes to spending decent money.  

3 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Yet you can’t stand Karanka, very strange. 

I was quite happy with him when he was winning games but his shortcomings were ruthlessly exposed when we went up. Then his character flaws became evident and it was everyone else’s fault except his. He got 15 new players that season and still played the poor me card. So yes billy it might be strange but you are right, I can’t stand the man.

26 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

Its not only one side of the story though. Its the only side of the story when Warnock has spent money. You have cherry picked 5 freebies that came off which is great, but you've only actually showed one side of the story because for every Bamba I can link at least 2 freebies that did absolutely nothing. If you have enough goes you eventually get some right. 

Its a little like Mogga at us. Lauded and rightly so for bargains like Adomah and Friend, but lets not forget the amount of Maulary Martins and Frazer Richardson's. It easy to rose tint cheap signings. Truth is Warnock is no better or worse than most managers at unearthing the occasional bargain however he is definitely poo when it comes to spending decent money.  

How many bargains did Southgate unearth in his time as a club manager? Or Monk? Or Woodgate? Or Pulis? 

I would say Warnock is significantly better than most managers at unearthing bargains, though I agree he tends to struggle to spend bigger budgets wisely. And yes, he has misses as well as hits on his CV, but his hits can be very good indeed. That's not something we should underestimate given the consistently dire nature of our recruitment since promotion.

• Like 2

Warnock is comfortable in the championship he knows it like the back of his hand, its the Premier where he freely admits he's not happy, so depending what your happy with, short term he's probably the choice, but if your looking at the bigger picture beyond that (i.e.  promotion to the PL ) then he's not the choice.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Warnock is comfortable in the championship he knows it like the back of his hand, its the Premier where he freely admits he's not happy, so depending what your happy with, short term he's probably the choice, but if your looking at the bigger picture beyond that (i.e.  promotion to the PL ) then he's not the choice.

Even then it's worth going up to come down. Dont go daft and make sure we stabilise the finances of the club. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Blanco said:

I was quite happy with him when he was winning games but his shortcomings were ruthlessly exposed when we went up. Then his character flaws became evident and it was everyone else’s fault except his. He got 15 new players that season and still played the poor me card. So yes billy it might be strange but you are right, I can’t stand the man.

What’s the point? 

50 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Promotion to the PL? Warnock has 8 promotions under his belt. If anything he’s the safest bet if we are aiming for promotion imo.

1 hour ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Promotion to the PL? Warnock has 8 promotions under his belt. If anything he’s the safest bet if we are aiming for promotion imo.

I should have phrased  it better, Warnock is an excellent Championship manager capable of getting a team promotion Cardiff being the obvious example, but he doesn't like managing in the PL, so do you take the short term fix which is Warnock, or a younger manager who gets  promotion but also wants the opportunity to build a team/squad for the longer term future of the club which is the bigger picture .

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Dan1234 said:

I dont really get criticising a manager for free transfer at a time we barely had a penny to scratch our a*se with. I might be wrong but did Mogga waste a penny. Some of his freebies did not work out but they came with little or no expectation and were signed purely to fill in gaps when we were skint. Mogga can never be criticised for his signings imo. I would love the guy to head up our recruitment the day he calls its quits in management. He unearthed gems whichever club he been at. 

As far as Warnock is concerned he got more right than wrong at Cardiff. The one he got wrong was Madine for £6m but his rights for outweigh his wrongs. If someone said to me right here right now that Warnock is gonna sign a player for £6m who turns out to be a donkey but ultimately come May you will be promoted please go ahead and waste that £6m.

• Like 4

All managers make some bad signings ....at least ours haven't cost the club hundreds of millions like Ferguson's....for every success like Pallister, he probably had three spuds like Djemba-Djemba, Bebe or that Chinese wonderkid, Dong Fangzhou. (although we should be grateful that he did deprive us of the services of Forlan)...then there is Kleberson, Taibi,Veron, that lad from Sunderland who seemed to vanish after about three games...if Warnock is here for the next year or two, then we know a couple of things...firstly, we are likely to have a better season next year than last year and we will become more like a team than eleven meeting to have a kickabout for the first time....and if we finish 11th or 12th, I will settle for that if it means that the season after, there is a chance of something better....to mention Ferguson again, what did he achieve in his first few years at the Theatre of Bull....come to think of it, did he win anything but a couple of cups without Giggs and friends in the squad ...if we have a more balanced squad when he goes (if he comes), then to me that is a success...and if I have to watch boring "defensive" hoofball like I did in 73/74...bring it on 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Rioch's Braves said:

Um he can get boro promoted then retire I would be over the moon! He doesn't have to manage us in the prem. Plus if he got us promoted the club would be able to attract a much higher caliber of manager than we can currently. But honestly I feel if Warnock does stay on it shows the club is going to have a shot at promotion and we will be investing in the squad. As at 73 Warnock isn't going to be here settling for mid table relegation battles. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Old Codger said:

All managers make some bad signings ....at least ours haven't cost the club hundreds of millions like Ferguson's....for every success like Pallister, he probably had three spuds like Djemba-Djemba, Bebe or that Chinese wonderkid, Dong Fangzhou. (although we should be grateful that he did deprive us of the services of Forlan)...then there is Kleberson, Taibi,Veron, that lad from Sunderland who seemed to vanish after about three games...if Warnock is here for the next year or two, then we know a couple of things...firstly, we are likely to have a better season next year than last year and we will become more like a team than eleven meeting to have a kickabout for the first time....and if we finish 11th or 12th, I will settle for that if it means that the season after, there is a chance of something better....to mention Ferguson again, what did he achieve in his first few years at the Theatre of Bull....come to think of it, did he win anything but a couple of cups without Giggs and friends in the squad ...if we have a more balanced squad when he goes (if he comes), then to me that is a success...and if I have to watch boring "defensive" hoofball like I did in 73/74...bring it on 

Well one things for sure it didn't take Warnock long to realise what  most of us already knew that the team was totally unbalanced and I'm not talking about the players state of mind, though some might argue differently :classic_smile:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1