Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
LinoJo3

Candidates for our next manager...

Recommended Posts

If Warnock doesnt stay, I wonder what Robbie Mustoe would be like as a manager, he always talks sense as a pundit on nbc when I watch and has coached college football out in america (actual football not a weird version of rugby). Mustoe, Kevin Blackwell and Ronnie Jepson combination at boro might be an interesting one 2 experienced coaches and an manager with his own ideas on how to play the game with a bit of coaching experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be absolutely staggered if it's not Warnock, if we stay up anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really  like Warnock as a bloke, comes across well and if he gets us out of this crap show then he has to get some plaudits but I really hope we are looking elsewhere for the summer.  

We have a real chance this summer to start building towards something long term. With a more entertaining style. I'd rather not see the opportunity wasted on another boring functional team that values results over any sort of entertainment value.  Getting rid of Pulis was one of the happiest days of my footballing life and just because Woodgate was a clueless clown doesnt mean we have to jump to the other extreme again.  This is a manager remember who has recently paid 6m for  Gary Madine and Aiden Flint. 

I personally think we should be looking abroad again. Either a manager doing great things in a smaller league like Potter was, or possibly a Karanka mk 2. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

I really  like Warnock as a bloke, comes across well and if he gets us out of this crap show then he has to get some plaudits but I really hope we are looking elsewhere for the summer.  

We have a real chance this summer to start building towards something long term. With a more entertaining style. I'd rather not see the opportunity wasted on another boring functional team that values results over any sort of entertainment value.  Getting rid of Pulis was one of the happiest days of my footballing life and just because Woodgate was a clueless clown doesnt mean we have to jump to the other extreme again.  This is a manager remember who has recently paid 6m for  Gary Madine and Aiden Flint. 

I personally think we should be looking abroad again. Either a manager doing great things in a smaller league like Potter was, or possibly a Karanka mk 2. 

Sadly having a chance and doing something about it are poles apart, we do not seem to learn from past mistakes and there is a real chance that once again many of us will state "WTF" on a new appointment.

If we stay up then I would be ok with Warnock getting a full season even if it means losing the chance to get a younger dynamic and hungry Manager in whever they might be

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Sadly having a chance and doing something about it are poles apart, we do not seem to learn from past mistakes and there is a real chance that once again many of us will state "WTF" on a new appointment.

If we stay up then I would be ok with Warnock getting a full season even if it means losing the chance to get a younger dynamic and hungry Manager in whever they might be

That's the problem for me though mate. So we give Warnock the summer, we need a ton of players so Warnock brings in load of Madine and Flint types to get a team together hes comfortable with. Hes a very short term appointment so we middle around in mid table next season, maybe push playoffs and then hes off and we are then stuck with a functional moulded squad mostly still on 3yr + contracts that we cant do anything with. Its Pulis lite all over again. 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Dan1234 said:

That's the problem for me though mate. So we give Warnock the summer, we need a ton of players so Warnock brings in load of Madine and Flint types to get a team together hes comfortable with. Hes a very short term appointment so we middle around in mid table next season, maybe push playoffs and then hes off and we are then stuck with a functional moulded squad mostly still on 3yr + contracts that we cant do anything with. Its Pulis lite all over again. 

 

This sounds all too Boro-like. So much that I believe it's how it will pan out. I literally have no idea who we should approach though. Not domestically anyway. Lee Johnson seems like a Gibson signing though, but it's not like he has really made Bristol take huge steps forward despite good investment. Plays nice football but always falters in the second part of the season. Could perhaps lay a decent foundation here for a few years. Hughton is also an obvious choice, but I doubt he'd want to come here.

Long story short I don't think we have the senior staff to appoint a decent foreign manager so we will look at who is available domestically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Dan1234 Spot on mate! Back to square one otherwise.

If Warnock keeps us up then that is great, he has done his job. It's harsh, but I'd say thanks very much but we are moving in this direction. If he was open to it, I think he'd be a good addition to the backroom staff (Coach or Assistant) as a  "mentor" if you will, for a more positive thinking manager.
Think if we do go down the route of a untested/inexperience manager, building the correct backroom staff is a must. Something we failed to do with Woodgate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m still dreading Woodgate being reappointed, he seems to have disappeared but is still employed by the club.

Does anybody know what his  role now is?

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I’m still dreading Woodgate being reappointed, he seems to have disappeared but is still employed by the club.

Does anybody know what his  role now is?

Manager in waiting billy according to your good self 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I’m still dreading Woodgate being reappointed, he seems to have disappeared but is still employed by the club.

Does anybody know what his  role now is?

He probably doesnt have a role at the moment. I feel it is the same as what happened to Steve Agnew. Eventually he will officially go.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Manager in waiting billy according to your good self 🤣

I think all the signs point to it, Warnock is in the Venables role until the end of the season. He won’t want the job on a full time basis and there will be a nationwide search for the right man until Woodgate turns up with another PowerPoint presentation .

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I think all the signs point to it, Warnock is in the Venables role until the end of the season. He won’t want the job on a full time basis and there will be a nationwide search for the right man until Woodgate turns up with another PowerPoint presentation .

Oh dear 😱

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Brunners said:

I would be absolutely staggered if it's not Warnock, if we stay up anyway.

Well if we survive and its still an if at the moment. I dont think we have any alternative but to employ Neil Warnock if he will take the job. This is particularly because of the scare we have had this season. We cant have that again and I dont think that Warnock has let it happen again once he has properly got hold of a club.

Some people may say well what about the seasons after, well Boro have never been able to plan ahead and it would be even more difficult in our current position.

I dont want to suffer this again but i think proper recovery may need gradual progress.

So Warnock as manager, its a Yes from me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woodgate didn't make us competitive as he was way too inexperienced, so maybe it would be a decent move to have Warnock assist when we do interviews. Obviously it won't be necessary if we are talking to experienced managers like Hughton, but if we target young or foreign managers, it might be a good move to have someone experienced assisting with interviews. I can't for the life of me imagine Gibson and Bausor asking the relevant footballing questions about how the manager works on a day to day basis and how he prepares his squad for games. You need someone who can really grill the potential manager with relevant questions.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's got to be George Friend next hasn't it?  Cheap as chips and knows the club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • I’m not actually sure where Wycombe would get a goal from. The left winger is making a few runs, but that’s about it. Add to that the poor defensive effort.....
    • I'm sure the mighty Boro will donate them some points.
    • I don't disagree with that, but they had us chasing their backsides all over the Riverside a couple of months ago, with Amos running the show.
    • Shame we are playing Wycombe so late in season. Seem to be struggling early doors to find they feet in the league so would have been nice to have played them fairly early doors.
    • Not sure where the idea that QPR are a particularly good side is coming from. They were in horrific form at the end of last season and they've sold or lost their two best players since then. Not saying that means we'll win, but QPR are a bottom half Championship side and exactly the sort of the team we should be beating if we're aiming to be more than that ourselves.
×
×
  • Create New...