Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
LinoJo3

Candidates for our next manager...

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Definitely the kind of resume I'd hope we are looking for. I think with ajax they'll be grooming him to be the main man though, so possibly out of our reach 

Yep, no way is he looking at a 2nd tier job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, macapes said:

Indeed. But I'm at the point where I have no real faith in Gibson to do the right thing, regardless.  If he really wanted to set the direction as he announced, he needed to do more than just talk about it and then hire Woodgate. 

There needed to be someone, somewhere in the club competent to set this new direction, which means an experienced, but modern, DoF to my mind.  Someone to provide the consistency across managers, players, as to the club's identity, someone planning beyond the current season/manager.

As it is, in the absence of any of that, Warnock rebuilding, and hopefully sorting out recruitment/scouting, isn't the worst option.

I don't think Warnock will have any effect on our scouting or recruitment. Pulis certainly didn't and yet he was publicly declaring himself as tasked with not wasting Gibson's money, it was just as shoddy under his tenureship as it's ever been in recent years.

Warnock will recruit players for his style of play and we'll be left with them when he goes. If we're going to play the way he wants us to play, we should go for that in the long-term, not for just some short-term 'rebuild' that we have to rebuild again in a year's time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue with Round being asked to be DoF then when he got up here for talks, being offered Assistant Manager, anyone know what happened? Was the DoF role never on the table, mixed communication or what?! Seems so odd but gives a glimmer of hope than we might try and fill that role in the summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't help thinking that Warnock is being lined up as a DoF for next season, the way he talks about how the club needs to change with how they recruit and who they recruit seems to me that he may be here but more behind the scenes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't imagine Warnock behind the scenes. He's too steeped in the pitchside mentality and he loves training too much to put his feet up in a windowless office somewhere in the Riverside while someone else gets to shout at the defence. He'd end up telling the manager/coach they were crap (which they probably would be, knowing our recruitment) and then either him or the manager would have to leave 'by mutual consent'. Then all the long-term strategies we'd put in place would be tossed up in the air, and we'd have to start completely afresh.

Actually, that sounds familiar... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

I can't imagine Warnock behind the scenes. He's too steeped in the pitchside mentality and he loves training too much to put his feet up in a windowless office somewhere in the Riverside while someone else gets to shout at the defence. He'd end up telling the manager/coach they were crap (which they probably would be, knowing our recruitment) and then either him or the manager would have to leave 'by mutual consent'. Then all the long-term strategies we'd put in place would be tossed up in the air, and we'd have to start completely afresh.

Actually, that sounds familiar... 

At his age he might actually like a 2-3 day working week. But I'm fairly convinced that Warnock isn't the answer to our DoF prayers. If he is the one putting together our recruitment strategy he might as well also be manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well one thing for certain is that we dont want a manager that puts us in the position that Woodgate did. We need experience and a bit of cunning. Now to me that sounds like Warnock. I agree it is made difficult by his age and reluctance to move up North but at the moment I cant see much alternative.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Skinemrippers said:

The issue with Round being asked to be DoF then when he got up here for talks, being offered Assistant Manager, anyone know what happened? Was the DoF role never on the table, mixed communication or what?! Seems so odd but gives a glimmer of hope than we might try and fill that role in the summer. 

Round came up thinking he was going to be offered DOF role, but we actually only offered him first time role coach. This was because Keane refused to come on board unless he was the assistant. 

Round rejected 1st team coach because he wanted DOF role or at least assistant role.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Round came up thinking he was going to be offered DOF role, but we actually only offered him first time role coach. This was because Keane refused to come on board unless he was the assistant. 

Round rejected 1st team coach because he wanted DOF role or at least assistant role.

Absolutely refused to work with Woody aswell.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need to assemble a squad for the start of next season which seemingly could be only 5 or 6 weeks away from the end of this one. The "Golden Thread Team" were not qualified on any level to deliver on their dream. Its a nice dream to have but if the Club are going to go down that route then they first of need to still have a Club and secondly search and recruit the individuals with the skill sets required to do that. Trying to shoe horn all that in right now would be madness and even more ridiculous than the nonsense from last Summer.

Warnock's football isn't as dire as Pulis's, not the Golden Thread vision admittedly but nor was Karanka's or Big Jack's but if it stabilises MFC it can provide a platform from which to build. We are already reading and hearing about Warnock's man management skills and how he encourages players especially the younger ones and even Morrison who definitely needs someone like Warnock to help him get his head straight. I doubt that Morrison will be here next season but the approach in dealing with him is something that a young Manager won't have in his locker just yet but is extremely valuable. It was something that Karanka for example struggled with and some players openly rebelled or at least were open in their cynicism. 

Crazy thought is that we know Warnock could get us promoted to the Premiership and without signing overpriced players on huge salaries with moderate skills. In the past he has picked moderate players up for moderate prices and moderate salaries as well as a few decent individuals to add a bit of spark. That Spence, Tav and Coulson for example are already at the Club is perhaps a decent start. I think those players would benefit from a Warnock figure more so than a younger Manager eager to use Boro as a stepping stone on their way to Manchester, Madrid or Milan.

With Warnock we could feasibly see Premiership money (or Parachute money if it comes to that) again. Hopefully the Club would have learnt from their past mistakes and with interim planning and phased foundation work then in place they could go again with the Golden Thread which will be a lot easier than trying to do it when you haven't got two brass farthings to rub together. Of course we may never see the Premiership again in our lifetime but all the more reason to be prudent and practical. Twelve months ago most predicted the Woodgate outcome but I doubt that we thought that it would actually have been as bad as it turned out but nobody predicted Covid-19 or the effect that it would have on the game and even now we aren't sure just how deep that effect will bite or the long term consequences of it. The World has changed dramatically over the last twelve months, I don't think now is the time to gamble with blue sky thinking as attractive as it is. If MFC were my business right now I would be focusing on making sure we get through the next 18 months and beyond and come out the other side.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

Round came up thinking he was going to be offered DOF role, but we actually only offered him first time role coach. This was because Keane refused to come on board unless he was the assistant. 

Round rejected 1st team coach because he wanted DOF role or at least assistant role.

What made him think that’s the role he was going to be offered though? They must have told him that surely? So why then change once he got here? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

What made him think that’s the role he was going to be offered though? They must have told him that surely? So why then change once he got here? 

clowns GIF

(Gibson on the left, Bausor on the right)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind Warnock at all. I like his enthusiasm and honesty. I don't see any reason why Gibson shouldn't say to him, 'We want you to be here but it is important to the club that youth have a pathway to the first team and are an important part of the future of the club'. He does talk about defenders defending. Yet our most effective outlets this year have been our wingbacks. Will Coulson get much of an opportunity next year? Will Spence be as effective in a 4? If they get pushed down the pecking order how will that fit in with the Golden thread stuff. I think with Warnocks ability and experience he could definitely see the clubs philosophy through if he is happy to do it. After our rapid decline his experience and ship steadying abilities are definitely needed. It's whether he wants to help build the club or just build a team. I hope it's the former and if so, giving opportunity to the youngsters who are ready for that exposure he is an ideal fit. With the squad needing so many players this summer he will have the opportunity to add the experienced leaders he wants, but hopefully not at the expense of some of the young lads who have done well this year but are still a bit raw and naive. If he just wants to build a team a la Strachan then I would thank him for what he has done and look elsewhere. Hopefully though, after 40 odd years in football he might want to leave a legacy and by putting the foundations in place here he could do just that. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

I wouldn't mind Warnock at all. I like his enthusiasm and honesty. I don't see any reason why Gibson shouldn't say to him, 'We want you to be here but it is important to the club that youth have a pathway to the first team and are an important part of the future of the club'. He does talk about defenders defending. Yet our most effective outlets this year have been our wingbacks. Will Coulson get much of an opportunity next year? Will Spence be as effective in a 4? If they get pushed down the pecking order how will that fit in with the Golden thread stuff. I think with Warnocks ability and experience he could definitely see the clubs philosophy through if he is happy to do it. After our rapid decline his experience and ship steadying abilities are definitely needed. It's whether he wants to help build the club or just build a team. I hope it's the former and if so, giving opportunity to the youngsters who are ready for that exposure he is an ideal fit. With the squad needing so many players this summer he will have the opportunity to add the experienced leaders he wants, but hopefully not at the expense of some of the young lads who have done well this year but are still a bit raw and naive. If he just wants to build a team a la Strachan then I would thank him for what he has done and look elsewhere. Hopefully though, after 40 odd years in football he might want to leave a legacy and by putting the foundations in place here he could do just that. 

We definitely could do (and have done) worse.

Warnock has a track record of both keeping clubs up and getting them promoted. Given decent resources and time, I don't see why he couldn't do the same for Boro.

The only potential problem is his age and the fact he could decide to retire at any time. I've not heard anything to suggest he has any health issues, but he ain't no spring chicken and management is a stressful job even for the best people.

I think thats why a lot of folks (myself included tbh) don't see him as a long-term appointment.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TAPOUT said:

Hopefully though, after 40 odd years in football he might want to leave a legacy and by putting the foundations in place here he could do just that. 

In essence I think thats exactly how it would have to work. He has already said that Spence can go right to the top and if I was Djed's father I'd be telling him to listen to the old guy and take in everything he tells you. Players with the type of ability that Djed is starting to show glimpses of can go way of the rails (he only has to look at another Player in the current squad to see how talent alone isn't enough) unless they are managed and nurtured correctly. Coulson, Tav and the others could all benefit from his pearls of wisdom and if they are that good I don't think NW would shoot himself in the foot by not involving and developing them. At this level they are top end Championship at the very least with the potential to be far better. Young players also benefit from having a few old seasoned pro's around them. 

We know and Warnock knows that he won't be a long term Manager due to Father Time so its an ideal opportunity for him to prove himself once again but at Boro he also has a unique situation in his career. Previously he would manage a club for two, three, four years and get the boot as all Managers do, its the nature of the game. With him at the helm we won't be in the mess next season (assuming we survive) so a remit that involves longer term development after he is gone doesn't have the immediacy of his previous roles. Planning for the next Manager that "follows on" from him should be a part of that role so that we evolve and stop pinging around from one extreme to the next with Management appointments. Just to be clear #ABW.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Latest Posts

    • (Apologies to Erimus for referencing matches he's previously referred to - we haven't played on 7 August very often!) August 7th 1971 Boro 4 Hibernian 2  (Yes, Erimus - Hibs again!) Boro looked in fine fettle a week ahead of the 1971/72 season as they swept aside Hibernian more comfortably than the scoreline suggests. New signings Stuart Boam and Nobby Stiles appeared to be settling in well. Boam bought more presence to the defence, albeit looking hesitant at times, while Stiles used his experience to control the game from the middle of the park before coming off at half time. He said that he had done so partly to give someone else a run out and partly to have a look at the team from a trainer's perspective and that having done so he had a feeling that it wouldn't be too long before he was playing at Old Trafford again. As it turned out, he was right, but only because Boro drew Manchester United in the FA Cup later in the season. Against Hibs, Boro were 4-0 up by the interval as Hibs' young goalkeeper, who was only playing because their new first choice keeper's international clearance papers hadn't arrived, was regularly left stranded by his statuesque defence. John Hickton helped himself to a hat trick and Joe Laidlaw chipped in with another. Hickton got the first after just two minutes with a glancing header from a free kick from wide on the left. It was 2-0 after five minutes after a goalmouth mix up allowed Laidlaw to score off the post. Laidlaw turned provider after 20 minutes, crossing from the right for Hickton to head home, and Big John completed his hat trick on 35 minutes with another simple header. Boro relaxed in the second half, allowing Hibs to make the score more respectable with two quick headed goals of their own. The first came from Joe Baker after 52 minutes, with second half substitute Hazel adding the second on 58 minutes. All in all though, a good performance by Boro. They now had a midweek friendly with Benfica to look forward to (which famously brought back together Stiles and Eusebio) and then it was all set for the opening league fixture at Portsmouth. (This is Boro we're talking about - you know what happened next).   In the news - 2800 shipyard workers at Swan Hunter voted by just 45 votes to remain on strike after the latest pay offer fell 25p a week below their demands, two brothers were rescued off the North Sea coast after cutting the roof off their van and paddling out to sea on it (yes, really), the crew of Apollo 15 splashed down safely in the Pacific and three soldiers were shot during rioting in Belfast. Top of the charts - Get it On by T Rex.
    • No my friend you have voluteered and your name is on the list, I appreciated the efforts made last time out
    • Downsouth, only if you run out of volunteers 👍
    • So I guess that must mean we will win the Carling Cup and get to the final of the FA Cup as well! Big dreams Sonni, can I have what you are on?
    • But what if we play other teams than Watford? 🙃 I'm ofc ready as the first and last MDT author the coming season .. 45 wins and a draw in the last game. #UTB
×
×
  • Create New...