oneBoro Forum

Candidates for our next manager...

27 minutes ago, thatoldchestnut said:

Well its only 1 month but I agree that if he keeps us up, then it is his job to turn down. I really cant see any other option. Iwe go down then its back to the cheapest option.

The other option is that we actually do our homework and try to find a manager that is better for us for when Warnock leaves. The long term future of the club shouldn't be determined by this 8 game spell where we try to scrap out of the relegation picture.

Don't get me wrong, I've little doubt Warnock will be in the picture if we survive. I don't think it's an absolute given that he should be though. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Warnock deal 100% done and will be announced shortly. (Not the appointment I wanted) - Friend has been offered extension but on significantly reduced terms with possibility of coaching at the end

In fairness, Warnock didn't leave Cardiff that long ago, so it's not like there's been a massive turnover of players. Some of the players he signed might yet move on for big money. Also, quoting

If we were sacking Karanka to replace him with no one and just accept relegation we should have just stuck with Karanka for the championship, I think we'd have bounce straight back up -----------

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Changing Times said:

It'll be George Friend next, a nice guy with no experience to follow Warnock.

I'm starting to hope it is Warnock though so that I don't have to keep bothering with it all any more 👍

Im not joking, that's the type of appointment I expect Gibson to make. 

I'd love us to move towards a sporting director and head coach model. However, I can't imagine Steve Gibson being open to us moving in that direction as it would take away operational control from him and his inept mate in recruitment Gary Gill. We're constantly in transition due to the disorganised and disjointed squad building that has occurred for over a decade, aside from the successful interlude under Karanka in which he took away control from them with him having Victor Orta as a director of football.

We're going to have huge gaping holes within our squad next season regardless of whether we're relegated or not, and we're going to be forced to sell lots of key players who are in the final 12 months of their contract like Assombalonga, Fletcher & Fry. Neil Warnock has shown in his long career that he can build promotion winning teams on a budget so, considering the absolute mess we're in and Gibson's ineptitude when making any sort of important decision, it would be crazy not to give Warnock the job next season if he keeps us up. At a minimum he'll put then some solid foundations in place and see us through a very difficult period in the upcoming transfer window. My openness to Warnock keeping here next season is only because of the sheer incompetence of Steve Gibson's decision making.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

I’d like to see either Glen Riddersholm, Niels Fredriksen or even Brian Priske given the job. 

Haha. I know you’re just kidding, but how did you come up with those names? Did you just type Danish football managers?

For what it’s worth there is only one danish manager that I’d want, now that Kasper Hjulman has been appointed national coach, and that’s David Nielsen. But he’s managing my home town team and is doing a hell of a job. Such an exciting coach. Brilliant at man management and getting the best out of everyone. 

I'd hope for someone with experience, someone capable of building solid defensive foundations. But that can absolutely have the potential to be detachable from someone who is only capable of long-ball football. If you're pragmatic in attack then it's absolutely fine for your main strenth to be solidity.

At the same time, I wouldn't want us to take a punt on some ex player with little to no pedigree of managing at this level.

So probably a no on Warnock from me. But absolutely the perfect appointment for the remainder of this season.

Also, once we [rightly] offload a load of out of contract players in the coming months - regardless of what division we're in - we absolutely need to invest in experience. We have some very good talented young players in the squad, who would probably excel at League 1 level in particular - but many are far from complete. We'd be too easily outfought and outthought. If we don't strike the balance we'll find ourselves in the midst of another relegation battle next season in the Championship, or playoffs at best in League 1.

• Like 1

I think @ManBearPig has summed it up really well.

We need a manager who is capable of overseeing a major squad rebuild/revamp but also they will need to be able to work on a limited budget. Another set of skills the manager will need is to be able develop players that join the club but also the youth players hoping to make the step up from the youth teams. We don't have a bottomless pit of money, so we really need to get "bang for our buck" (Gazette's favourite term). 

Personally I think the changes we need to see, need to extend further than just the manager. We need a club wide restructure from top to bottom.

1. Starting with the man at the top of the tree. He needs to step back and relinquish control of the football side of things. Not saying he needs to step down as chairman, but his footballing decisions have largely been poor over the last decade.

2. We need to decide now what long term strategy we want as a club. In an ideal world I'd like us play entertaining football which utilises our academy consistently. I'd also like us to emphasise on bringing in undervalued (promising) players to develop and improve them and then sell them on (A modified moneyball variant if you will). With the sole intention of having a self-sufficient competitive team.

3. We then need to bring in an experienced DoF, someone who can take control of the footballing decisions and ultimately be able to enact the direction/vision of the club. They will be responsible for bringing in managers and players that fit the criteria of our outlined vision (Point 2).

(Those first 3 points probably need to happen in tandem).

4. The DoF is to then appoint a manager/head coach, that fits our criteria for the club vision, but also the criteria of our current predicament (See first part of the post).

5. The recruitment team needs a big overhaul in how it operates, this team need to be focusing on finding players that are; undervalued in their current teams, promising younger players and players that fit the way we want to play. All against the backdrop of fitting our club wide vision. I get that the recruitment team are largely at the mercy of each managers preference of players, but scouting players to suit one style to then have to scout players at the other end of the scale must cause some real headaches. Taking a leaf out of Brentford recruitment style/team would be a good start.

For me they are the biggest issues that we have never really addressed at all. Which has caused our scatter gun approach to how we as a club operate. You'll also notice how a lot of the points are connected, which for me stresses the need for a clear club wise strategy, that we need to stick with.

Edited by DanFromDownSouth
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Borodane said:

Haha. I know you’re just kidding, but how did you come up with those names? Did you just type Danish football managers?

For what it’s worth there is only one danish manager that I’d want, now that Kasper Hjulman has been appointed national coach, and that’s David Nielsen. But he’s managing my home town team and is doing a hell of a job. Such an exciting coach. Brilliant at man management and getting the best out of everyone. 

Pretty much 😃

It doesn't matter who the manager is while Gibson is in charge still, he's always going to be undermined and forced to put up with his interference, especially in the transfer market.

I think Warnock will be offered it if he keeps us up, but personally I'd love Karanka back. Again, that will never happen while SG is in charge though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

It doesn't matter who the manager is while Gibson is in charge still, he's always going to be undermined and forced to put up with his interference, especially in the transfer market.

I think Warnock will be offered it if he keeps us up, but personally I'd love Karanka back. Again, that will never happen while SG is in charge though.

Your right, but Warnock is bloody minded, stubborn, outspoken and doesn’t really need the job. He’s also dealt with a few chairmen in the past. On that basis, I would think he is one of the few managers who could keep SG from too much interference. He would be  more likely to walk away and say why - in fact if he is offered job for next season he would probably tell SG what he would and wouldn’t tolerate. Given that, he may actually be a better option than many people think.

• Like 4

Getting a new guy in will be tough, theres not much appeal about coming to boro. We've told everyone for years that we are broke, have a squad on league one quality players and have even lost the appeal of Gibbo and him giving managers a chance.

Whilst I wouldn't have Karanka back I think we need that type of appointment someone who will being a shape and understanding to our team and get the best out of our players.