oneBoro Forum

Boro v Hull (A) 1-2 (Assombalonga)

10 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Yes, you could be right but it's frightening how Stoke and Hull have tore us apart defensively at times in both games and they are not blessed with quality.

Those 2 players in particular are quality and pacey and I think we will struggle to contain those 2 players.

I think people forget against Stoke we were particularly lucky that they were really poor finishing easy chances. 

I didn't watch the Stoke game, but Hull certainly didn't tear us apart defensively. They scored from a stupid direct free kick and a long punt into the box. We snuffed almost everything out before they got close to our box but because Johnson isn't a defender there is always going to be that lapse of concentration about picking up players. But he was left with 2-3 players on his own because Friend didn't know what was going on behind him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hull v Boro Details Teams – Hull v Middlesbrough Location – The Tiger King Stadium Competition – The Championship (only just) Date – Thur 2nd July 2020 Kick off – 17:00

I'm hoping for three more points here. Biggest thing that stood out to me about Warnock was how much fun he seemed to be having. He also made a point of praising the front three. Was it any coincidenc

I'm actually looking forward to games again. You know whatever happens, that the players will have been given a solid foundation to work on and will try. Warnock's brutal honesty combined with all his

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Can't really argue with that but what has clearly been shown is the total lack of leadership on the pitch, desperately needed.

I will be honest this defeat, one of many, hurt me more so than any others because I really thought we would make a fist of it but as the game went on less than a handfull of players showed any desire.

How will this be turned? well Warnock has to find something in the last 6 games which was not shown over the previous 40 games.

No i really is not looking promosing and we can not rely on others screwing up as badly as we have done.

This for me really stands out as something to worry about.

You would have thought all the lads would be really up for the Hull game after the result against Stoke (even if we did ride our luck at times).

They should have been really looking to get at Hull. If we were as poor as people are saying, you have to wonder if Warnock will be able to drag the kind of performances we need out of them. ☹️

12 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

This for me really stands out as something to worry about.

Completely disagree. It wasn't a lack of effort, it was a lack of class in the final 3rd. Most other teams would've been 3-0 up at half time and had the game killed off.

• Like 4

Watching the match and listening to the commentary I thought I was watching a different match. I may have been viewing through misted over glasses or just over excited to see the match on TV but I thought that at times we played well and had the better of the play. The quality didn't seem to be there up front and time after time I was screaming at the TV for them to be more positive and direct but on the whole I saw things to be hopeful about. Sadly though this was against a team who hadn't won this century (well, almost) and we came away without a point.

I'm hopeful they can grab enough points to stay up but I'm still very worried about the longer term under Gibson.

I think the only worry from the match yesterday was the complete lack of cutting edge.

It was a lapse of concentration that gave them the winner, they were a very unthreatening team throughout. I really did not see their winner coming.

I think every team in the league bar us would have beaten that Hull side yesterday, they were woeful.

The ref played a part, but Warnock is right in as much as the players should have twigged on that he didn't have a clue and avoided breathing near the opposition.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

To be honest I am just looking for any crumbs of comfort at this time.

Relegation could impact our club like no other time  and a real concern

I pick up on the fact your absolutely correct and going down could ultimately be the final nail in the coffin of a club totally mismanaged. I wish it was only a bad spell because that would give hope something could be done to correct a poor period,  but it is not just a bad period but it's become a norm over a very long period. 
Never mind thriving the club has totally misjudged what it takes to survive in the league and wasted money experimenting and failing to manage the risks. 

• Like 2

If there's a positive to come out of this, it's the elimination of any complacency which might have built up after Warnock's arrival and the Stoke win.

Actually, I've just thought of another potential positive. It might finally show Gibson in ten-foot glowing neon letters that the problems at MFC run far deeper than a series of cack managerial appointments. Only root and branch reform can stop us becoming another Sunderland (or, as someone cruelly suggested on here earlier in the week, another Bradford City).

• Like 4
7 minutes ago, sanddancer said:

I pick up on the fact your absolutely correct and going down could ultimately be the final nail in the coffin of a club totally mismanaged. I wish it was only a bad spell because that would give hope something could be done to correct a poor period,  but it is not just a bad period but it's become a norm over a very long period. 
Never mind thriving the club has totally misjudged what it takes to survive in the league and wasted money experimenting and failing to manage the risks. 

I agree but I can't see a billionaire coming along to buy up Boro and even if someone tried would SG sell? I think the best hope is that SG wakes up one morning very soon, smells the coffee and put's someone who knows what they're doing in control before stepping back. That would give me hope.

Going on the evidence of the last few years under the SG regime I have little hope.

I take a crumb of comfort in Warnock identifying the issues in his interview:

- terrible decision making

- poor quality passing and crossing

- making it easy for a whistle happy ref

Better than the likes of Pulis or Woodgate who just talk s*** after a game. Let's see if those areas improve on Sunday. 

13 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

I take a crumb of comfort in Warnock identifying the issues in his interview:

- terrible decision making

- poor quality passing and crossing

- making it easy for a whistle happy ref

Better than the likes of Pulis or Woodgate who just talk s*** after a game. Let's see if those areas improve on Sunday. 

One thing that struck me was Hull players going down if breathed on. But, Boro players should know it's going to happen and not give them the excuse to crumble like a pack of cards.

5 minutes ago, Woof Woof said:

One thing that struck me was Hull players going down if breathed on. But, Boro players should know it's going to happen and not give them the excuse to crumble like a pack of cards.

It's basic football intelligence isn't it... when you see he's blowing up for ANY contact, stop putting your hands on players' backs. And hit the bloody deck in and around their box the second they do it to us. 

Where is this lack of effort stuff coming from? 

Can anyone give me some examples from last night? 

Lack of quality.... fair enough but I didn't see any player not putting a shift in. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

And most food critics can't serve up Michelin Star quality food, what's your point?

Wait, are you comparing what most football fans serve up on Twitter to people who dedicate their careers to critiquing things? There's a profound difference between the way someone like Will Gompertz would review the latest movies and Jimmy the roofer coming onto social media and saying Toy Story 4 was ***.

That's not to say one is right and the other is wrong, it's all opinion. But one is well-formed from a background of critique and the other is a spur of the moment blast, maybe brought on by the fact Jimmy's kids wouldn't be quiet for most the movie and little Jimmy junior had to go for a *** 3 times so he missed the best bits. I imagine Josh Cooley would be less inclined to take on board Jimmy's feedback vs. how he might view Will's.

The best he could do is understand the frustration from Jimmy, the same way I'd expect footballers to understand a general frustration from fans. But I doubt many great footballers owe their professional development to fans' input. Twitter for footballers is how I imagine Andy Dufresne would feel if that Shawshank sewage pipe was never ending.

• Haha 2
10 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

But I doubt many great footballers owe their professional development to fans' input.

I'd say none of them use the fans input and if they did I'd be worried. 

The problem is half the fans in the ground are frustrated Sunday league players and after a few pints they start to remember themselves being twice the player they actually were. 

The game looks really easy from the stands, it's a lot harder when you're down there on a pitch. 

44 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

It's basic football intelligence isn't it... when you see he's blowing up for ANY contact, stop putting your hands on players' backs. And hit the bloody deck in and around their box the second they do it to us. 

Agreed with that, I think Warnock will teach them that as well.