oneBoro Forum

Squad Rebuild 2020/21

With several players with contracts expiring and several of our plans loans along with Ayala and Gestede who've already left the club is massively short in several areas and this transfer window is probably the most important in recent times and we simply have to get it right, I must admit I'm quite excited at the prospect of us finally sorting some of the issues we've had for the past couple of years 

Contracts Expiring 

Ayala - Gone already 

Shotton - Can't see an extension

Friend - I think a years extension eventually leading to a coach role 

Gestede - Gone already 

Johnson - Can't see an extension been linked with other clubs

Browne - think we have ability to trigger extension as part of the deal when we signed him?

Loan Players Leaving 

Nmecha - Looked poor/average 

Morrison - Barely played 

Moukoudi - Would like to get him back next season

Roberts - Would love to get him back next season 

Squad for next season currently

Goalkeepers - Stojanovic / Pears / Mejias 

Right Back - Spence / Dijksteel / Howson  

Left Back - Coulson / Bola / Friend*

Centre Back - Fry / Stubbs / Wood 

Centre Midfield - McNair / Saville / Howson / Wing / Clayton / Malley / Liddle 

Right Wing - ? / Tav / Browne 

Left Wing - ? / Tav / Browne 

Attacking Midfield - Tav / Browne / Walker 

Strikers - Britt / Fletcher / Burrell

What do we need?

Goalkeeper, the Full Backs and Centre Midfield look our strongest positions but remains to be seen whether we look to offload any of the centre midfielders or not and whether Coulson is defensively sound enough to play in a back 4 or whether Bola is good enough for the championship. I think under a good manager they could be. 

Centre Back we're very weak following Ayala and Shotton's departures, Wood is very young although full of potential and I don't really know how good Stubbs is. We need 2 new Centre Backs for next season at a minimum for me will Ben Gibson be one of them? Or Moukoudi back on loan or even permanent?

Right and Left Wing - Will this window finally be the window we sign the 2 wide players we've needed for the past few seasons on permanent deals? I'd love Roberts back as well as 2 permanent additions for the flanks. Could be an opportunity for Isaiah Jones or Sam Folarin to stake a claim for a first team spot 

Attacking Midfield - I think we need a real number 10 ala Lee Tomlin for next season with doubts over Browne's temperament and Walkers still very young

Striker - Britt is probably the most divisive player we have and the club may look to cash in before his contracts up, Fletcher has had a good season but doesn't score enough to be the clubs number 9 imo and even with them 2 we look a striker short with Gestede and Nmecha gone even if Burrell or O'Neill make the step up 

Ideal Window 

Ben Gibson - Permanent 

Moukoudi - Loan/Permanent 

Young Prem CB on loan or could look at the free agents 

Roberts - Loan 

RW - Permanent 

LW - Permanent 

#10 - Permanent/Loan 

Striker to replace Britt if he leaves and/or a 3rd striker for competition - Lyle Taylor? 

How many signings do you think we need? And who if anyone would you want? 

• Like 1
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What basics are you on about? I think it takes a lot longer to adapt from the Austrian league to the championship playing in a *** team and having trained under a manager for 6 months who shouldn’t ma

I was told pre-Warnock we have an agreement in place with Sunderland for Lynden Gooch but it is dependent on if we stay in the Championship. We are also looking at Ruel Sotiriou but there is interest

I heard Billy Smart, Ronald McDonald, Oleg Popov, Krusty and Blinky are pitching up. 

I think the entire defensive line is quite weak and needs looking at. Getting Moukoudi would be a good start as he is young and will develop and has excellent physical attributes. 

Both full back positions need strengthening IMO and a couple of players who are now free agents would be ideal, Chris Gunter and Morgan Fox. RB and LB, both have stacks of experience in this division, Fox especially is a very good age and has been one of Sheff Wed's best players for a while now. We have had interest in Gunter in the past and he still has a few years in the tank so would be a shrewd signing. 

Further forward I would love to get Roberts back on loan or even permanantly if he was willing and cheap enough. 

After that I would move Heaven and Earth to try and get Eze from QPR. Might be out of reach but if rumours of Gibson willing to have a go again are true then I would put as much as realistically possible into signing Eze. Outstanding player. 

• Like 1

I think the recruitment will depend on what division we are in. If we go down, I see us going with youth players and bedding them in. 
I think it would also be harder to keep your players like Howson, Clayton, Britt etc who are “championship standard”. 

I agree with your areas for recruitment by and large but it entirely depends on how the new manager wants to play. The club can’t buy the players and expect a manager to work with it because it might not be how they want to play. 

Additionally, if we hire Warnock full time, then we are going back to the Pulis era of a certain type of team and players. Then when Warnock goes, we’re back to square one again. 

Get survival > Get rid of players who don’t want to be here > hire a manager with 3 years in mind of being competitive in the championship > let him build a squad for a promotion push in year 3 

• Like 1

Impossible to say before we know which division we are going to be in. But it's certainly going to be a big rebuilding job. Thankfully it won't be Woodgates job.

5 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Impossible to say before we know which division we are going to be in. But it's certainly going to be a big rebuilding job. Thankfully it won't be Woodgates job.

Not that I trust our scouts at all either

• Like 1

If we survive, I liked that idea of getting what was rumoured few weeks ago of getting Gunter in as a cb on a free as he be out of contract. I was listening to Derby vs reading game the other day and Reading commentator said that hed had his best season for the club considering the amount of games hes played and would be sad to see him leave. In terms of a striker maybe someone like Nahki Wells as a proven championship goal scorer and likes to play with someone up to so maybe Fletcher and Wells next season if we sell britt? 

Clayton is out of contract and not looking like getting another.

Up front is an absolute must. I expect Britt to leave. We need to find someone who can score 20 goals in this league. 

It's going to be a huge job. I suspect Warnock will help in some way. I reckon Kenyon may get involved once more.

I hope Ben Gibson comes back and Moukoudi.

I would suspect McNair may get a move and/or Saville.

Do we know if Spence definitely has one more year?

The more I think about it the harder it gets.

One thing in our favour is we probably won't need to undertake the fire sale clubs like Birmingham are already engaged in, and which clubs like Wigan (if they survive) will probably need to go through. We'll lose senior players but should have the resources to replace them.

Our squad has been horribly unbalanced since Pulis, with a glut of CMs and little else. I reckon we need two CBs, a wide player for either wing, a #10 and a striker, most of whom would need to be first choice standard rather than backups.

We should really try to tie down Roberts for at least one more season, and I'd love to see Ben back here to marshal the defence. Mind you, I'd also love to see Kike back here. Limited player, but by Christ, he tried his best. Warnock would love him.

10 hours ago, edinboro said:

Clayton is out of contract and not looking like getting another.

Up front is an absolute must. I expect Britt to leave. We need to find someone who can score 20 goals in this league. 

It's going to be a huge job. I suspect Warnock will help in some way. I reckon Kenyon may get involved once more.

I hope Ben Gibson comes back and Moukoudi.

I would suspect McNair may get a move and/or Saville.

Do we know if Spence definitely has one more year?

The more I think about it the harder it gets.

Not your problem mate, don’t worry about it. 😃

Edited by BillyWoofs_shinpad

I wouldn't mind selling all except the promising players like Tav, Coulson, Spence, Fletcher and Fry. The makings of a decent spine. The rest I wouldn't lose any sleep over.