oneBoro Forum

What would some positives be if we got relegated?

Hello ladies and gents, after last nights defeat to Hull my bum has got sore after being brought back down to earth with a bump. 
Whilst I’m undecided yet if we will go down, I’d probably say that we will. Yesterday vs Hull worries me that we can’t beat them and we look so useless with the ball. 

So if we went down, what do you think would be some positives for the club moving forward?

One for me would be the ability to restructure a team with no high earners and make it more balanced. By this I mean a squad of players who compliment each other and fit a certain type of play, rather than expensive players to plug a gap that don’t fit our tactics. Essentially it would be a clear out of Mowbray, Karanka, Monk, Pulis and Woodgates mismatch of players. 

Secondly, I’d like to think the club would lower the match day tickets to fill the stadium at a cheaper rate. Hopefully a fuller stadium will have a positive impact. 

Our younger players like Tav, Wing  and Coulson would probably thrive in League One and develop more potentially?

High earners will have either already left or players with question marks over them such as Shotton, Johnson, Saville, Fry, McNair, Clayton, Britt and maybe even Fletcher will be moved on. I hope Fletcher stays as I have grown to like him this season and he has developed. But it is exciting / nervous about a clear out and a new direction. 

Hopefully if we get a bit of momentum down below we can restructure and revitalise our club. It won’t be pretty, and I’d rather be in the Championship, but there are some small positives to be had. 

Can I anyone think of anymore?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

None. There is never anything remotely positive about relegation. There are excuses like "time to clean up" "give the kids a chance" "kickstart the club" but it's all excuses and nothing positive.

Have we benefited from being relegated from the premiership?

It would be a disaster, there is no guarantee that div 1 will start until crowds are allowed back in the ground, that won’t be until next calendar year at the earliest. With our wage bill and no incom

Just now, RealSlimSladeyy said:

Increases the chance of Gibson recognising his own limitations

That's the only thing I can think of, really. Maybe Gibson would take a great deal of responsibility for it and actually realise he needs help to create a football club in modern times that delivers on things he really wants.

• Like 2

None. There is never anything remotely positive about relegation. There are excuses like "time to clean up" "give the kids a chance" "kickstart the club" but it's all excuses and nothing positive.

• Like 4

None whatsoever and we will quickly become "just a team from the lower leagues"

Crowd sizes would diminish alarmingly (except final quarter of the season if we are in prime position for promotion)

Our identity will erode in the eyes of the footballing world.

Nope nothing for me

Plus we would have a manager in cutting his teeth once again

• Like 1

Couple of Sunderland fans colleagues at work, I asked similar question to them when they got relegated to league 1 and they said winning games, youth getting a chance and a clear out of undeserved big wages. I would say that they would be similar positives for us getting rid of players like Britt who are on big wages and have produced very little, developing youth like tav, coulson and spence and winning games because quality's poorer. 

Id also see it as a chance to get rid of players like Clayton and Friend who are too old and past their prime. I think that probably the next manager would have time to build as well if we went down, I dont think instant success would be required as long as we are in and around the playoffs, so maybe this would favour a young and upcoming manager. 

7 minutes ago, Borodane said:

This, the club we know and love might not survive relegation. It's that serious. 

I remember the last couple of times we've been relegated and people talking about us bouncing straight back. For every Leicester in the 3rd tier, there's a Sunderland and Sheffield United. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, thomas said:

Couple of Sunderland fans colleagues at work, I asked similar question to them when they got relegated to league 1 and they said winning games, youth getting a chance and a clear out of undeserved big wages. I would say that they would be similar positives for us getting rid of players like Britt who are on big wages and have produced very little, developing youth like tav, coulson and spence and winning games because quality's poorer. 

Id also see it as a chance to get rid of players like Clayton and Friend who are too old and past their prime. I think that probably the next manager would have time to build as well if we went down, I dont think instant success would be required as long as we are in and around the playoffs, so maybe this would favour a young and upcoming manager. 

We can do that in the Championship. You don't need relegation for that. Relegation will just make it even harder. There is no doubt in my mind that we won't get promoted again and the financial implications will just mean that we will have to adjust and become another run of the mill lower league club with a stadium that is way too big and will look like it's empty every week. The future is pitch black if we are relegated.

2 minutes ago, Duvel said:

This, the club we know and love might not survive relegation. It's that serious. 

I remember the last couple of times we've been relegated and people talking about us bouncing straight back. For every Leicester in the 3rd tier, there's a Sunderland and Sheffield United. 

The first season in a lower league would be frightening, many will believe we will romp through but reality would be a shock to the system and w many teams would want to cut us down.

My lad mentioned that we could bypass Wycombe Wanderers (nearest team to where we live) should we go down and they get promotion, horrible thought! 

7 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

The first season in a lower league would be frightening, many will believe we will romp through but reality would be a shock to the system and w many teams would want to cut us down.

My lad mentioned that we could bypass Wycombe Wanderers (nearest team to where we live) should we go down and they get promotion, horrible thought! 

Don't worry we'll be alright!

1 minute ago, Downsouth said:

Also I am not really sure that we will be allright, want to believe it but that is all

I do honestly believe we'll stay up. We've got players who are better than most of the teams around us, Warnock is the most experienced manager out of all the bosses down there and we're not in the bottom 3 either. 

• Like 1

If we go down, my 2 biggest worries are the financial implications and how Gibson runs the club. Going down to the 3rd tier will leave us with an even bigger financial hole to fill, as we will lose yet more TV money (In terms of actual broadcasting income, plus we will receive the League 1 Solidarity payment rather than Championship). If that was the case, it stresses the need for Gibson to continue to support the club financially, but would he relinquish any control and let footballing decisions be made by footballing people, probably not.

What I will say though, if (Big if), we sorted ourselves out financially, Gibson brought in a Director of Football and we came up with a long-term plan, it shouldn't all be viewed as doom and gloom. Southampton, Wolves, Brighton, Leicester, Norwich and Sheffield Utd have all been relegated to the 3rd tier within the last 15 years and are now playing in the top division. Bristol City, Millwall, Blackburn, Preston, Nottingham and Leeds the same and they are all top half Championship sides (Looking at this season).

• Like 1