oneBoro Forum

What would some positives be if we got relegated?

2 minutes ago, SouthernSmoggie said:

It's one of the biggest challenges he's faced, for sure. From the post match interview, I think he was as baffled and p**** off about the total absence of quality as we all were. 

Totally agree, we simply stopped after the equaliser and somehow the players did not see what we were in that Hull were there for the taking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

None. There is never anything remotely positive about relegation. There are excuses like "time to clean up" "give the kids a chance" "kickstart the club" but it's all excuses and nothing positive.

Have we benefited from being relegated from the premiership?

It would be a disaster, there is no guarantee that div 1 will start until crowds are allowed back in the ground, that won’t be until next calendar year at the earliest. With our wage bill and no incom

If you get it right in League One by creating a winning mentality and smashing the league it creates a certain environment and positive feeling around the club. Look at modern day Leicester, Norwich, Bournemouth and how the foundations built in League One propelled them up the leagues. Personally based on the current structure of the club and the decisions of the last 5 years relegation for us would be an absolute disaster as the gap between Championship and Premier League grows. You get it wrong and you end up like Sunderland, Blackpool, Ipswich or a Portsmouth destined to remain a lower league club without significant investment

• Like 1

There are no positives, if we do get relegated we would get rid of the high earners but we would be offered a lot less for the players than their market value, beggars can't be choosers. Season ticket prices would have to fall, but fans may start to think the chairman  has pulled their pants down once to often so I  see a fan backlash. I think it would be a complete financial disaster, and who honestly would want to invest financially into a club where the owner has shown how incompetent he is  time and time again. We would struggle to come back up we should be a lot better than this, its criminal that we have to talk about it but its a possibility..

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Rioch's Braves said:

There are no positives, if we do get relegated we would get rid of the high earners but we would be offered a lot less for the players than their market value, beggars can't be choosers. Season ticket prices would have to fall, but fans may start to think the chairman  has pulled their pants down once to often so I  see a fan backlash. I think it would be a complete financial disaster, and who honestly would want to invest financially into a club where the owner has shown how incompetent he is  time and time again. We would struggle to come back up we should be a lot better than this, its criminal that we have to talk about it but its a possibility..

Have to agree RB. There are no positives whatsoever in relegation. None

Disaster.

Crowds would fall to less than 7k, and teams with stadiums with significantly more empty seats than filled dont seem to do well.

Squad is in tatters and we would need to rebuild with next to no money.

We would be in another relegation battle.

• Like 1

I don't think well be in danger of going bust either way. Our wage bill will be drastically reduced - apart from britt I cant think of anyone who will break the 15k mark next year and he will have plenty of suiters. When you look at Sunderland, they were in a far worse position expenditure wise. 

In addition, gibson is an extremely financially responsible owner. 3 times in recent memory he has risked the wrath of the fans by stripping back everything to secure the clubs future (southgate, Mogga, woodgate eras). I have no concerns about our financial security while we have him in charge.

20 hours ago, Downsouth said:

The first season in a lower league would be frightening, many will believe we will romp through but reality would be a shock to the system and w many teams would want to cut us down.

My lad mentioned that we could bypass Wycombe Wanderers (nearest team to where we live) should we go down and they get promotion, horrible thought! 

Same thought with me in Plymouth

On 7/3/2020 at 1:00 PM, DanFromDownSouth said:

Silver lining for me is the Cobblers got promoted to League 1, so if we do go down, at least I have an away day on my doorstep!

And me Plymouth got promoted to Div 1

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 2
19 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

I think it's important to remember that technically we are still 3pts above relegation zone once you take the 12pts of Wigan. 

I wish People would stop taking this deduction into the equation

• Like 2
20 hours ago, ManBearPig said:

Hello ladies and gents, after last nights defeat to Hull my bum has got sore after being brought back down to earth with a bump. 
Whilst I’m undecided yet if we will go down, I’d probably say that we will. Yesterday vs Hull worries me that we can’t beat them and we look so useless with the ball. 

So if we went down, what do you think would be some positives for the club moving forward?

One for me would be the ability to restructure a team with no high earners and make it more balanced. By this I mean a squad of players who compliment each other and fit a certain type of play, rather than expensive players to plug a gap that don’t fit our tactics. Essentially it would be a clear out of Mowbray, Karanka, Monk, Pulis and Woodgates mismatch of players. 

Secondly, I’d like to think the club would lower the match day tickets to fill the stadium at a cheaper rate. Hopefully a fuller stadium will have a positive impact. 

Our younger players like Tav, Wing  and Coulson would probably thrive in League One and develop more potentially?

High earners will have either already left or players with question marks over them such as Shotton, Johnson, Saville, Fry, McNair, Clayton, Britt and maybe even Fletcher will be moved on. I hope Fletcher stays as I have grown to like him this season and he has developed. But it is exciting / nervous about a clear out and a new direction. 

Hopefully if we get a bit of momentum down below we can restructure and revitalise our club. It won’t be pretty, and I’d rather be in the Championship, but there are some small positives to be had. 

Can I anyone think of anymore?

Honestly - I can't think of any.

You're working on the assumption that we'd have anybody at the club capable of recruiting a new "harmonised" team for League 1. I'd like to think so, but its by no means a given. Could end up being more of the same hodgepodge signings...getting whoever's cheap & available and trying to cram them into a formation that doesn't suit them.

Cheaper season tickets would be a given I think...but can you honestly say the Riverside would be full(ish)?

Far as I can remember, we only ever saw around 30k attendances when we were in the Premier League, or fighting for promotion from the Championship. I reckon you'd be lucky if attendances averaged around 10-12k in League 1.

I'm in the camp that says if we did go down, it could very easily spiral into oblivion, like a few clubs have done recently.

So I'm very much hoping we can stay up somehow. I was extremely disappointed (and worried) to read how bad we were against Hull. That was - on paper - one of our bankers. Now QPR and Bristol IMO represent our best chances of picking up points, so I'm desperately hoping Warnock delivered one of his trademark bollockings to wake that sorry excuse of a squad up to the reality of the situation.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

I don't think well be in danger of going bust either way. Our wage bill will be drastically reduced - apart from britt I cant think of anyone who will break the 15k mark next year and he will have plenty of suiters. When you look at Sunderland, they were in a far worse position expenditure wise. 

In addition, gibson is an extremely financially responsible owner. 3 times in recent memory he has risked the wrath of the fans by stripping back everything to secure the clubs future (southgate, Mogga, woodgate eras). I have no concerns about our financial security while we have him in charge.

True the wage bill will be reduced...but don't forget the club's income will be similarly curbed (less TV money, sponsorship, ticket sales etc.)

Also, I'm sure you haven't forgotten that during those previous periods of "asset stripping", we've been relegated under Southgate and are currently teetering on the brink under Woodgate / Warnock.

If you think it was bad in the PL & Championship, it would be even more severe in order to remain financially viable in League 1. This is why some clubs do spiral into oblivion and even with someone like Gibson in charge, there's no guarantee it won't happen to Boro.

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 1
30 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

I wish People would stop taking this deduction into the equation

Why? It's happened so we should count it. I fancy Wigan to beat our total even with the deduction, but it still needs to be accounted for.