oneBoro Forum

Boro v Millwall (A) 2-0 (Assombalonga, Fletcher)

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well done, apart from a few spells from us you deserved that. I didn't think it was a pen in the first half, I didn't think it was much of a foul for your first, it looked like Cooper slipped.  T

Well like @Islanderits my birthday too (43 today) And Boro have given me the best present possible.  so happy just now 😀😀😀

Must mention Stoj's saves at 0-0. Would have been a very different game if he hadn't made them

Posted Images

Pulis took the unbalanced squad he inherited and completely unbalanced it in another way! 
We then allowed 7 players to run down their contracts while selling anyone we had an offer for. If bids had come in for Britt, Saville, McNair, anyone, they would have been sold as well. It was a conscious decision to cut back on wages and players and replace with D1 prospects, to be managed and coached by a team in their first job together. 

So Warnock is right. Unbalanced team with no confidence playing for a club needing a major restructure in the summer. It’s so sad to see. 

• Like 1

Sounds like Warnock is trying to take some pressure off the strikers. We’ve scored 40 goals, less than a goal per game. We have close to zero creativity in midfield, little pace and two strikers (Britt and Fletcher) who are pure confidence players.. with zero confidence. 

The defence is not great but it’s not what is going to relegate us if we keep losing 0-1. 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

He didn't say the defence was bad, he said we were short of defenders, which we are.

Also that we're short of strikers, which we also are.

That makes more sense.

Bottom line is someone needs to he held accountable for the signings of players such as

Gestede For £6m

Assombalonga For £15m

Saville for £7m

£28m exc. wages. Bought by 3 different managers. 

We have an unbalanced squad because we have overpaid and squandered money on tripe. 

You could build a well structured and competent team for under £20m. 

Somebody has to be held accountable for the catastrophic mess that is MFC and has been for the last 4 seasons +

Edited by TheJew
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

We have the 11th (joint) best defensive record in the league.  We have the 24th best attacking record in the league.  Our forwards and midfielders are good but the defence is bad?

The average number of goals conceded in the Championship is 53.5.  The median number is 53.  We've conceded 53 so we are average defensively but no worse than that.

The average number of goals scored in the Championship is therefore also 53.5 and the median is also 53.  We've scored 40 goals.  The next worst team has 45.  We are the worst in the league and there's a gap between us and the rest.

There are only two teams who have conceded fewer goals than we've scored this season.  In order for us to just have a 0 goal difference, we'd have to have the third best defensive record in the league.  Just think about that.

In our previous two games, we played against the 2nd and 3rd worst defences in the league.  We scored 1 goal and that was a penalty.  Hull and QPR actually have two of the highest goals for this season in the league, so conceding a goal or two against them was probably likely.  What wasn't likely was only being able to score one penalty of our own.

The only thing that has been functioning reasonably well this season is our defence.  Nothing else has, not just on the field but off it as well.  The defence has remained ok through it all.

A well-reasoned piece. Apologies if my point is mentioned elsewhere, but Ayala has played in 23 of our games, approx 70%. Could his absence now be a big factor? ( I know he has played in games where we have shipped more than one goal.)

The Ayala saga is...'unfortunate'. He is very good at Championship level but not quite up to the top flight (same with Friend). My Leeds Utd chums absolutely hate him! Basically because he is a replica of Jack Charlton and they can't admit it.

9 minutes ago, Johnny A said:

A well-reasoned piece. Apologies if my point is mentioned elsewhere, but Ayala has played in 23 of our games, approx 70%. Could his absence now be a big factor? ( I know he has played in games where we have shipped more than one goal.)

The Ayala saga is...'unfortunate'. He is very good at Championship level but not quite up to the top flight (same with Friend). My Leeds Utd chums absolutely hate him! Basically because he is a replica of Jack Charlton and they can't admit it.

I'm not sure.  I'd say that we'd be better off with him in central defence than Friend for example, I don't think there would be much argument about that.  From memory, our defensive record has consistently been around 10th-12th position though.  I'd say we'd have conceded fewer goals since 1st January if he'd been available but I suppose it's impossible to prove one way or the other.  However, I think his absence has weakened us and from a strictly goals per game standpoint, we have conceded more without him than with him.

3 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

So apparently we have unbalanced defence yet he plays friend at CB and Makoudi as defensive midfielder, Howson as right back...  Sometimes managers just make you laugh don't they? 

Shotton RB

Makoudi CB

Friend LB

It's really not that hard is it?

Warnock is making a big fuss about how bad the squad is to make Woodgate look better.
Next season we’ll have yet another clear out, Woodgate will be back in charge and this time it will be his squad!

cant wait. 

5 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

Warnock is making a big fuss about how bad the squad is to make Woodgate look better.
Next season we’ll have yet another clear out, Woodgate will be back in charge and this time it will be his squad!

cant wait. 

You’re a bad man billy 🤪

• Thanks 1

I’d go for a revolutionary approach of playing players in their actual positions, rather than a CM at RB, a LB at CB, a LM at LB, a CB at CM and ravel Morrison on the pitch.
so something like;

spence-moukoudi-fry-coulson

- - - - - - McNair Saville - - - -

roberts - - - - -  - - - - - - - -tavernier

- - -  - - -  - fletcher- - - britt

It’s not what id actually play but I think it’s a reasonable proposal given the players NW appears to prefer.

As CT mentioned our defence, whilst not watertight, has been (relatively) okay.

That said we can’t wait around to go 1-0 down and then try and do something coz we’re pants at the other end.

im going 2-1 Boro with a late pen to win it.

• Like 1

Luton and Barnsley drawing tonight is good. 1 less point floating around at the bottom! All we need is just one poxy win Boro. How often did Millwall beat us when we were challenging for promotion and they were busy getting relegated. Time to repay the favour!

44 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I'm not sure.  I'd say that we'd be better off with him in central defence than Friend for example, I don't think there would be much argument about that.  From memory, our defensive record has consistently been around 10th-12th position though.  I'd say we'd have conceded fewer goals since 1st January if he'd been available but I suppose it's impossible to prove one way or the other.  However, I think his absence has weakened us and from a strictly goals per game standpoint, we have conceded more without him than with him.

He was more than useful in the opposition penalty area too.

51 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Not sure where I got 70% from re Ayala's number of games! Not that many. Sorry.

Stoj

Shotton 

Mouk

Fry

Coulson

Clayton

Howson

Tav

Wing

Roberts

Ass

Let Roberts cut in all he wants and tell Shotton just to stay solid. Might do better at stopping crosses and will do better against that beast st they have.

• Uwe featured this topic