oneBoro Forum

Boro v Millwall (A) 2-0 (Assombalonga, Fletcher)

What a difference a 3pm Wednesday afternoon makes.

Scrappy game but brilliant performance all the same. Shotton was absolutely immense today and I think the the backline bar a couple of worrying moments were great. The save Stojanovic made at 0-0 was massive. 

The most reassuring thing about today was we deserved the win and managed the game well. Something after Sunday I wasn't confident in saying again this season.

Maybe rose tinted glasses but the referee has had a shocker today 2 possibly 3 red cards could have been given to Millwall today and he missed 2 of them despite being stood next to the Mcnair incident. 

Edited by smogsterking the Inspirati
  • Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well done, apart from a few spells from us you deserved that. I didn't think it was a pen in the first half, I didn't think it was much of a foul for your first, it looked like Cooper slipped.  T

Well like @Islanderits my birthday too (43 today) And Boro have given me the best present possible.  so happy just now 😀😀😀

Must mention Stoj's saves at 0-0. Would have been a very different game if he hadn't made them

Posted Images

Just now, mendieta420 said:

Shotton.. Howson.. Friend.. all outstanding

4 games to go I'd have them in every teamsheet Shottons commitment and concentration today was exactly what we need in this run in.

• Like 1

Well done, apart from a few spells from us you deserved that. I didn't think it was a pen in the first half, I didn't think it was much of a foul for your first, it looked like Cooper slipped. 

That puts Charlton under a bit of pressure so a sort of silver lining. We aren't quite there yet, a mid table side that can punch above our weight. That's the thing about the championship, anybody can beat anybody, a small run of results and your in the hunt.    

F**k it's always a long journey up to your place, that's if we are ever allowed to watch football again. 

• Like 15

Gotta say that sounded comfortable. Hopefully it will boost their confidence for Saturday. We seem better suited to playing teams that come on to us, rather than trying to dictate a game.

• Like 1

Today was definitely one of those "typical Boro" days.

Potentially difficult away tie against a team significantly higher up the table...and they only go and put a shift in. Played like they cared about the result. Defended well most of the time. Fought to win the ball back. Put together some nice attacking moves, scored a simple but well executed goal and forced a penalty to double their lead.

Which begs the question: why the hell haven't we played like this more often?

Don't think any of us would have predicted a 2-0 win. Shows what they can do when they really try.

Okay it still wasn't great football...not by a long shot. But it was a hell of an improvement over some previous performances and right now thats all we need to stay up.

A couple more results like this and we can all breathe easy.

• Like 4
5 minutes ago, boro-unger said:

Must mention Stoj's saves at 0-0. Would have been a very different game if he hadn't made them

Yep. His first was an unbelievable save. The fact he got to it and actually kept it out was very impressive. Such a strong hand.

• Like 3

Everyone played so well. Great energy and desire today. Really went in for those 50/50 balls, Shotton was a calming influence at the back, we looked like a team playing for each other and for the shirt.  

• Like 1

Thank you lads, battled for every ball, we defended superbly, Shotton never lost a tackle or header man of the match , Fry was solid, Britt and Fletch never stopped running, Howson back where he belongs, chalk and cheese from Sunday. Massive result.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

"Millwall were dogged and hard to break down but failed to really test Dejan Stojanovic"

The BBC live feed really is clueless at times.

Stojanovic had too pull of two top class saves 

On a side note, great to see Dijksteel back for the run in. 
If we persist with the 5 at back (you’d imagine we will), then he’s a good like for like option for Spence. Saves shifting Howson out the midfield, and changing it all around again.

• Like 2

Yes!!  Just seen the result.  My birthday today and I couldn't even  bear to know what was going on during the game after the results lately (lately? All season!).  So left it till now.  Couldn't be happier.  Wish the Boro had the same amount of points as I have had birthdays.  We certainly wouldn't be in this position. 😃

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

What a difference a 3pm Wednesday afternoon makes.

Scrappy game but brilliant performance all the same. Shotton was absolutely immense today and I think the the backline bar a couple of worrying moments were great. The save Stojanovic made at 0-0 was massive. 

The most reassuring thing about today was we deserved the win and managed the game well. Something after Sunday I wasn't confident in saying again this season.

Maybe rose tinted glasses but the referee has had a shocker today 2 possibly 3 red cards could have been given to Millwall today and he missed 2 of them despite being stood next to the Mcnair incident. 

Not rose tinted, the ref and his assistants were rubbish, we should have been playing 9 men before we'd even scored.