oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bristol City 1-3 (Assombalonga)

6 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

A huge part of why we've struggled to score for the past however many season is this imo1457382500_part1.thumb.jpg.218f58c6f5915641b1f3be39dec8ddbf.jpg

335058091_part2.thumb.jpg.26249854326545fd5ecae2e3806459f0.jpg

Look how desperate their team is to get in the box and our midfield aren't even desperate to get back and defend never mind when it's the opposite situation

Also can someone please tell me what Johnson is doing for the 3rd goal? Friend comes out of defence to challenge for a header and tries to get back to cover himself, Johnson does neither...

We do get people forward sometimes, maybe not as often as we could, mind.  The likes of McNair and Saville missing chances are missing them because they are getting into the area to get those chances.  The problem at the moment is that our game plan is based around getting the ball into the box as much as possible, and we aren't that good at it, nor do we have strikers who would be best suited to that kind of thing.  Today we hit 27 crosses and 3 were successful apparently.  Against Hull it was something like 3 out of 21.  I haven't looked at the QPR stats but I bet it was very similar.  If you have the ball, and then end up giving it away a lot, you're going to struggle to score goals, it's as simple as that.  Look at our goal today, it came a bit out of nowhere in fairness, but it did actually come from passing the ball to each other around the penalty area, not just putting it in there and hoping it fell to someone.  But, you look at the team, and really it's just hard working players and a couple of strikers.  All three midfielders put a shift in today, albeit they were chasing shadows at times, but none of them are footballers in the classic sense, players who want to get the ball down and play.  The width is provided by a kid on the right who hasn't played 20 games yet and a lad on the left who is really a lower half of the Championship ability player as it is.  It's not a recipe for success but every time we stumble on a win, people act like it is.  We've spent the whole season trying to defend our way out of trouble and sacrificed goal scoring potential all of the time.  Maybe it's time we tried to attack our way out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just leaving this here:

I feel like I have to keep pointing this out- karanka got us from relegation to 12th in this first half season loaning only ayala. In his first full season he got us into the play off final spending l

Who do you think you are kidding Bristol City, If you think the match is won? We are the boys who will stop your little game. We are the boys who will make you think again. 'Cause who do you t

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

A huge part of why we've struggled to score for the past however many season is this imo1457382500_part1.thumb.jpg.218f58c6f5915641b1f3be39dec8ddbf.jpg

335058091_part2.thumb.jpg.26249854326545fd5ecae2e3806459f0.jpg

Look how desperate their team is to get in the box and our midfield aren't even desperate to get back and defend never mind when it's the opposite situation

Also can someone please tell me what Johnson is doing for the 3rd goal? Friend comes out of defence to challenge for a header and tries to get back to cover himself, Johnson does neither...

All of our midfielders are gash basically. Going through the motions and no more. Whilst I dont think Marv is anything other than League One standard, he has been a winger all his career, as was Coulson. He is doing his best in a position that he has not played for pretty much all of his career. He was out of contract and allegedly  foreign clubs were interested in him. He may be risking his next contract by getting injured for us so I thank him

• Like 1

Another way of looking at Karanka's success is considering the extent to which some of our players have declined since he left. Even allowing for age, the likes of Friend and Clayton are shadows of the players they were just a few seasons ago - in decision-making, leadership, tenacity and other things which can't be blamed on their legs going a bit.

Karanka dragged career-best performances out of many of our players. That's one of the main reasons I'd have him back, especially after Woodgate has reduced half our squad to the worst form in their careers.

Aitor - in the very, very unlikely scenario you're reading this, haste ye back!

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, RiseAgainst said:

Another way of looking at Karanka's success is considering the extent to which some of our players have declined since he left. Even allowing for age, the likes of Friend and Clayton are shadows of the players they were just a few seasons ago - in decision-making, leadership, tenacity and other things which can't be blamed on their legs going a bit.

Karanka dragged career-best performances out of many of our players. That's one of the main reasons I'd have him back, especially after Woodgate has reduced half our squad to the worst form in their careers.

Aitor - in the very, very unlikely scenario you're reading this, haste ye back!

Claytons best 2 seasons for us were when he played with Leadbitter in the 2 CM,s. He was more effective because that system suited him. I dont think he is any less tenacious now but is less effective as we dont play 4231. He is too exposed in our current midfield. Other than rallying the south stand I hardly heard George shouting much on the pitch and now he has lost his pace his effectiveness has declined also. Karanka seemed to know exactly what he needed to add to the squad for his first full season. He was very impressive then.

We need to stop living in the past. Karanka is not coming back and some have short memories of his time here. Walking out on the club in a crucial season and failing in the PL. I suggest some go back and read the threads on how bad he was and we wanted him gone. We are what we are, low championship team who may or may not be relegated. We were lucky to get Warnock.

• Like 3

I don’t understand why we seem so desperate to give George a new contract. He was brilliant for us in the past but we need to learn to be less sentimental when it comes to players at the end of their time with us and past glories when we look for our management team. Gibson has a real problem with sentimentality which I’m sure plays no part in how he runs Bulkhaul. 

I think we will need to depend on other teams to stay up. 

There's alot of rewriting of Karanka's era that goes on sometimes, he changed our 'style' significantly from playoff season to promotion season we sent 70% of our attacks through long hoofs down channels for strikers to chase and force errors we weren't exactly a stylish team under Aitor.

Listen I absolutely concede like I did with Pulis that Boro fans patience for a Warnock style of football will be extremely thin, but these same fans showed patience with a man who summed his tactical innovations up by saying "Play quickly, take throw ins and free kicks quickly" that was his answer when asked to give an example of how he has different ideas, that's what the bloke screamed in Austria. I think the fanbase at large will give Warnock a chance they were overly patient with Woodgate and Pulis never really got full pressed by fans.

So I'm not against Warnock getting a go with a rebuild give him the same length of rope we gave the bloke who gave wonderful comments on Leeds fans after we got mauled. The Championship is a poor league you don't need worldbeaters to get out of it you need organisation, a goalscorer, a bit of luck and the right players that's what Warnock built at Cardiff that's what we need if we're ever to get out of this league under Gibson I think he deserves a chance if he keeps us up.

Edited by Jamie-H
1 hour ago, Neverbefore said:

I feel like I have to keep pointing this out- karanka got us from relegation to 12th in this first half season loaning only ayala. In his first full season he got us into the play off final spending less than 5mil.

Stop underrating karanka everybody!

Meh - he wasn't bad I guess... 😜

5 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

he changed our 'style' significantly from playoff season to promotion season we sent 70% of our attacks through long hoofs down channels for strikers to chase and force errors we weren't exactly a stylish team under Aitor.

That's not how I remember it 

I seem to remember our attacks as possession based and maybe overly patient, work it out wide and get crosses in

We were good on the break as well

Games like that play off semi final in 14/15 vs Brentford were easily some of the best football the club's seen the past decade

We got it wrong in the prem but isn't it widely agreed that recruitment was the biggest problem for us

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

That's not how I remember it 

I seem to remember our attacks as possession based and maybe overly patient, work it out wide and get crosses in

We were good on the break as well

Games like that play off semi final in 14/15 vs Brentford were easily some of the best football the club's seen the past decade

We got it wrong in the prem but isn't it widely agreed that recruitment was the biggest problem for us

Yeah I think we didnt replace adomah with a premier league upgrade (if only we had today's adama at that stage) in the system and it killed us. It meant we had to shift Gaston out wide and play a 433 instead of aitors preferred 4231. 

I think a lot is made of his falling out with people as well but I cant recall anyone actually coming out and confirming the problems and where they actually came from - youd think someone from the squad or coaching staff would have but it's been entirely positive anytime I see any of our players from then reference ak - ak even nominated gibson to do the keep up challenge a couple of months ago so I'm not sure things were as bad in that department as they were made out.

I always thought that we should have seen the season out with him and replaced any of the players that there were unresolvable issues with - as weve seen then its much easier to replace a player than it is to replace a manager.

• Like 3

I love to read the complication and complexity people think football is but it is only born and touted from those who can’t play a simple game. It’s football and either you are good, average or poor and we are s@@t at performing the basics. 
At 6 mins in we are a goal down because we can’t defend and we can’t score. Now you would think a group of average players would sort themselves out, talk to each other,cover the weakness and correct the faults no not the BORO we go on play the clowns for what we are known and get hammered.

Don’t even kid yourselves or preach to me we are not a club fragment who has signed players who can’t perform the basics of the game.