oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bristol City 1-3 (Assombalonga)

5 hours ago, Jamie-H said:

Gibson and Ayala getting it off Clayton/Leadboots and launching it towards opposition corner flags for our forwards to force mistakes

Eh? I don't remember that at all. 

We weren't Brazil of 1970 but we weren't a long ball team either.

• Like 1
  • Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just leaving this here:

I feel like I have to keep pointing this out- karanka got us from relegation to 12th in this first half season loaning only ayala. In his first full season he got us into the play off final spending l

Who do you think you are kidding Bristol City, If you think the match is won? We are the boys who will stop your little game. We are the boys who will make you think again. 'Cause who do you t

Posted Images

My memory is that we were constantly trying to retain possession by passing sideways and backwards much to the fans frustration on many occasions. Even today Clayton still gets tarnished with that brush. Friend and Nsue used to get down the flanks and put crosses in or link up with say Adomah or Stuani but long balls launched to corner flags would have had Karanka going nuts.

• Like 4

Regardless of what happened four years ago, we are consistently being outplayed in midfield now, meaning that defence is exposed and forwards limitations even more obvious...maybe it is confidence, maybe it is ability, but in every good team we have had, there was someone who "ran" the midfield...and in this team there isn't .... 

• Like 3

Some excellent points about Karanka but things went wrong for whatever reasons and many on here were relieved when he finally went.

Coming back from where we were to where we are now is totally different and going back to the game yesterday once again we showed we were a team of individuas and not really a team.

We did dominate during the first half and had we scored perhaps there would have been a better outcome but until Roberts decides to include others then we should not be surprised at our results.

Trouble is we no longer have time to mess about anymore, and another thing is that draws may not be enough, as a team who have drawn so many this season we need to get max points.

Just to point out, all the people saying that Karanka shouldn’t come back because it won’t be the same...

Jose came back and won the league with Chelsea, as an example. I think in the championship we need to learn how to defend and be organised, then put the building blocks in place of a team. 

id rather have Karanka back with some money to spend than Warnock personally. 

2 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

My memory is that we were constantly trying to retain possession by passing sideways and backwards much to the fans frustration on many occasions. Even today Clayton still gets tarnished with that brush. Friend and Nsue used to get down the flanks and put crosses in or link up with say Adomah or Stuani but long balls launched to corner flags would have had Karanka going nuts.

Thats pretty much how I remember it too. Very "safety first" football that was mostly frustrating and annoying to watch. But teams found it very difficult to break us down and when we did manage to score, we usually won.

EDIT:

Just checked his stats and apparently his record with us reads P161 W80 D39 L42

So even allowing for that horrendous season in the PL, he still had a 50% win rate (near as dammit).

Source: https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aitor-karanka-leaves-middlesbrough-both-12749948

Edited by AnglianRed
  • Like 2
12 hours ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

We got it wrong in the prem but isn't it widely agreed that recruitment was the biggest problem for us

Fans generally look at the January window but I think the recruitment in the summer was wrong as well. 

We should have come into the premier league with the clear vision of trying to survive but expecting that we would go down.

With that mindset we should have signed players who were better than we had but whi would stay if/when relegation occurred. 

The signings of Negrado, Valdes, Fischer and de Roon were never going to stay following relegation meaning you were rebuilding again.

We shouldn't have been afraid to do a Burnley and bounce for couple of seasons. Instead Gibbo's interview raised expectations to a level which was matched by big name temporary signings.  

But that's really always been Gibsons modus operandi chuck money at the problem and sign names. It worked with Robson and McLaren but the games passed us by now and we aren't in a position to do that in the top league because everyone else is now super rich.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Just to point out, all the people saying that Karanka shouldn’t come back because it won’t be the same...

Jose came back and won the league with Chelsea, as an example. I think in the championship we need to learn how to defend and be organised, then put the building blocks in place of a team. 

id rather have Karanka back with some money to spend than Warnock personally. 

Well as I recall the parting was fairly amicable, so its not beyond the realms of possibility.

However I would hazard a guess Aitor would want full control over transfers, to build a squad of players he felt he could work with.

Don't forget he ended up alienating a significant part of the dressing room last time, with those bust-ups with Downing & Bamford, among others.

Given his actions over recent years, I'm not sure Gibson would be able to keep his nose out.

16 minutes ago, Duckand said:

Just want to add what I've been saying to my wife ever since Monk went bad. I miss Karanka. I do, and I'd love to see him back. 

Careful - she might start to get jealous! 😁

• Thanks 1

If you had asked me 18months ago I would of said I wouldn't want Karanka back because we still had players and staff at the club that would cause waves.

With the likes of Clayton, Friend, Gestede all moving on there isn't really anybody other than Leo and few back room staff that would remain at the club so I could get on board with the reappointment of Karanka. 

I think it would give the fans a massive lift and feel good factor around the place which is massively important as the fans have been divided for a long while now.

Leo would have to move on unfortunately because I can't see how their relationship can be fixed after what happened previously.

Would be interesting to see if Gibson had the *** to swallow his pride and reappoint the man who gave the fans the best memories in the past decade.

12 hours ago, Neverbefore said:

Yeah I think we didnt replace adomah with a premier league upgrade (if only we had today's adama at that stage) in the system and it killed us. It meant we had to shift Gaston out wide and play a 433 instead of aitors preferred 4231. 

I think a lot is made of his falling out with people as well but I cant recall anyone actually coming out and confirming the problems and where they actually came from - youd think someone from the squad or coaching staff would have but it's been entirely positive anytime I see any of our players from then reference ak - ak even nominated gibson to do the keep up challenge a couple of months ago so I'm not sure things were as bad in that department as they were made out.

I always thought that we should have seen the season out with him and replaced any of the players that there were unresolvable issues with - as weve seen then its much easier to replace a player than it is to replace a manager.

Well he got told to stay away from training for a reason.

"Growing behind-the-scenes tension came to a head on Friday morning when Karanka left Middlesbrough’s training ground near Darlington early and angry after storming out of an acrimonious squad meeting. During it he is understood to have told the players he did not want to manage them any more. On Friday evening he had another meeting with club officials to try to settle the dispute.

On Saturday moirnng morning Karanka turned up to take a light training session ready for the departure to south London but his presence was regarded as too divisive and Boro executives told him to go home".

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/12/aitor-karanka-middlesbrough-future-doubt

If everything was hunky dory between him and the players, why was this so widely reported (also in the Gazette, BBC etc.)?

Are you suggesting it was some sort of campaign of misinformation by Gibson, to give him a pretext to sack Aitor?

• Like 1

There was tension already from the Downing and Rhodes signings. Neither of which were hugely successful.

Imagine if Karanka had been given that money to spend how he wanted? 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, AnglianRed said:

Well he got told to stay away from training for a reason.

"Growing behind-the-scenes tension came to a head on Friday morning when Karanka left Middlesbrough’s training ground near Darlington early and angry after storming out of an acrimonious squad meeting. During it he is understood to have told the players he did not want to manage them any more. On Friday evening he had another meeting with club officials to try to settle the dispute.

On Saturday moirnng morning Karanka turned up to take a light training session ready for the departure to south London but his presence was regarded as too divisive and Boro executives told him to go home".

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/mar/12/aitor-karanka-middlesbrough-future-doubt

If everything was hunky dory between him and the players, why was this so widely reported (also in the Gazette, BBC etc.)?

Are you suggesting it was some sort of campaign of misinformation by Gibson, to give him a pretext to sack Aitor?

I wouldn’t be surprised if all news outlets had their info from the Evening Gibson. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1