oneBoro Forum

Boro v Bristol City 1-3 (Assombalonga)

Haha Aitor has fully derailed this match day thread. Someone needs to copy all the Karanka messages and stick them in the "next manager" thread discussion

• Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just leaving this here:

I feel like I have to keep pointing this out- karanka got us from relegation to 12th in this first half season loaning only ayala. In his first full season he got us into the play off final spending l

Who do you think you are kidding Bristol City, If you think the match is won? We are the boys who will stop your little game. We are the boys who will make you think again. 'Cause who do you t

Posted Images

1 minute ago, TLF10 said:

Haha Aitor has fully derailed this match day thread. Someone needs to copy all the Karanka messages and stick them in the "next manager" thread discussion

He was always causing problems @TLF10 😀

• Haha 2

Contrary to reports and what people have  heard and read, Stewart Downing was not player and reason that Aitor Karanka left.

Downing and Karanka didn't get on but apparently they always settled differences privately.

The player who had confrontation with Karanka which divided the group was in fact Grant Leadbitter and Victor Valdes. Subsequently, they were both dropped from the 1st team and the club came out with that both players were 'injured'. Karanka took the side of Valdes over his captain and ultimately that was what cost him the job and him losing the dressing room.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fabio-could-return-middlesbrough-against-12919823

Im unaware of what happened when Karanka walked out after the Rotherham defeat unfortunately. I asked questions at the time time to a player and he wasn't prepared to give any information out.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, diggerlad07 said:

Contrary to reports and what people have  heard and read, Stewart Downing was not player and reason that Aitor Karanka left.

Downing and Karanka didn't get on but apparently they always settled differences privately.

The player who had confrontation with Karanka which divided the group was in fact Grant Leadbitter and Victor Valdes. Subsequently, they were both dropped from the 1st team and the club came out with that both players were 'injured'. Karanka took the side of Valdes over his captain and ultimately that was what cost him the job and him losing the dressing room.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/fabio-could-return-middlesbrough-against-12919823

Im unaware of what happened when Karanka walked out after the Rotherham defeat unfortunately. I asked questions at the time time to a player and he wasn't prepared to give any information out.

What did Leadbitter and Valdes fall out over? I’d heard that Valdes acted like he was doing us a favour by signing and felt he was too big for us

8 minutes ago, RealSlimSladeyy said:

What did Leadbitter and Valdes fall out over? I’d heard that Valdes acted like he was doing us a favour by signing and felt he was too big for us

Valdes was just a pure k**b apparently and was blaming everyone that wasn't in his click saying they weren't good enough.

Leadbitter obviously took offence and it just kicked off at a training session.

I am sure Leadbitter did a interview with the northern echo or gazette shortly afterwards talking about the divide and problems but he didn't mention any names . I am sure someone will be able to find it.

Edited by diggerlad07
  • Like 3

I went out and had my first beer after 4 month voluntary absence and it was nice to be out with my sons and son in-law on what we hoped BORO would top off the day with 3 points. Well we all know it went pear shape in 6 mins and progressively got worse. 
It was quite noisy in the pub but it seemed to me every time they went to the BORO game the panel were having a laugh. Were they actually taking the mick out of us? 

Edited by sanddancer

I remember at the time some random fan on a forum noticing Valdes house had a moving van outside and said he’d heard he’d done a runner back to Spain but it was laughed off and ignored. I’m pretty sure he never played again.

1 hour ago, diggerlad07 said:

Interesting if true.

Valdes was clearly a ***. Its not hard to see that. But when you say "karanka took his side" this could mean anything. I mean let's face it, leadbitter wasnt good enough for the prem - he was consistently out of his depth and his legs had started going and hed started to pick up injuries. It may well have been that karanka just agreed with Valdes that he wasnt good enough and that's where the split came? 

7 hours ago, Duvel said:

Eh? I don't remember that at all. 

We weren't Brazil of 1970 but we weren't a long ball team either.

We used our possession primarily as game management and concentrated it mainly around halfway which caused quite the disquiet from fans at the time, rarely were our goals the result of the possession, either we forced a turnover in midfield and released our quicker players down the wing to deliver it or we pushed up on channel balls forced opposition errors and scored. Most of the time we won by 1 goal margins it would frustrate fans no end because inevitably we'd spend the last 10 minutes 'hanging on'. I'm not here to slate Karanka but when people reminisce about his time they act like we played pretty football when the reality was we used Nugent as a battering ram, fed crosses in the box and were perfectly ok ceding possession to opponents by kicking it deep in their half to force errors and turnovers high up the pitch.

Karanka can't come back anyway he probably still has the knife wounds from the frenzy that came at him when he left, he and the evil Victor Orta are to blame why we aren't a Premier League side still after all absolutely no one else involved in that seasons shambles that are still at the club thank god...

A bit of a sour taste of the story of Leadbitter, Valdes and Karanka being true. I’d have liked to think that Karanka would have backed his captain who was a leader. Yes, Valdes might be the more accomplished player in terms of prestige. But Grant would run through walls for us and played through injections. I can understand from a dressing room point of view how it would be upsetting for your manager to choose Valdes over Leadbitter. 

Maybe Aitor knew he had to keep Valdes on side else we’d be left with Bad Guzan to try and keep us up... 

I don’t agree that players were signed without AKs consent, but I don’t think that Gibson would let a manager have free reign over transfers. I hope Warnock would advise Gibson that he needs to let go of the reigns in terms of recruitment. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, TheJew said:

There was tension already from the Downing and Rhodes signings. Neither of which were hugely successful.

Imagine if Karanka had been given that money to spend how he wanted? 

Thats why I feel if he were to return, Gibson would have to give him more control to make the signings he wanted and generally let him run the footballing side of things.

4 hours ago, AnglianRed said:

Thats why I feel if he were to return, Gibson would have to give him more control to make the signings he wanted and generally let him run the footballing side of things.

Karanka would make a good DoF, he’s football through and through and just as obsessive about detail as bielsa. If I was Gibson and had to ‘hand the reins’ over to someone I trusted then Karanka would be up there. Either him or Mowbray I feel would be equally as good. Obviously I have no idea if they have any flaws that we don’t know about.
Only thing that would worry me is karankas obsession with signing Bojan and Jesé, maybe he could have got a tune out of them who knows, but looking back I think they would have been disastrous signings to try and keep us up.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, LinoJo3 said:

Karanka would make a good DoF, he’s football through and through and just as obsessive about detail as bielsa. If I was Gibson and had to ‘hand the reins’ over to someone I trusted then Karanka would be up there. Either him or Mowbray I feel would be equally as good. Obviously I have no idea if they have any flaws that we don’t know about.
Only thing that would worry me is karankas obsession with signing Bojan and Jesé, maybe he could have got a tune out of them who knows, but looking back I think they would have been disastrous signings to try and keep us up.

In his defence, both were made to appear to be available, had a good pedigree and were creative players which we were desperately needing. Similarly to how Gaston added the spark to our attack, I feel that they would have done the same. Not smashing it, but enough to keep up up. 

The money was there if we wanted to get them surely? If we offered 7.5m for Gestede and 4.5m for Guidieora couldn’t the recruitment team have put more on them coming? All ifs and buts of course. I agree with the Bamford signing as that was in mind of going down. But the other two were just disasters.