oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

2 hours ago, thatoldchestnut said:

I cant believe it. Talking about selling one of our few young exciting prospects. Give over. We will have plenty of gaps in the squad to fill as it is.

Exactly the reason to sell at an inflated price.  Gives us cash to fill those gaps.  

Djed's looked decent at times, but I wouldn't drop £10M on him.  Better to take the cash now, with a sell on, for an easy profit for a kid with no ties to the area, than watch him plateau at ours and the price drop.

4 minutes ago, macapes said:

Exactly the reason to sell at an inflated price.  Gives us cash to fill those gaps.  

Djed's looked decent at times, but I wouldn't drop £10M on him.  Better to take the cash now, with a sell on, for an easy profit for a kid with no ties to the area, than watch him plateau at ours and the price drop.

Or, now bear with me here, what if he doesn't plateau and next season he's worth £20m?

16 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Or, now bear with me here, what if he doesn't plateau and next season he's worth £20m?

Well, he's not worth 10 now, that's a possible price a Premier League team might gamble on him becoming worth that in a couple of years. 

So, we take, say twice his value now or take a chance that he has a good season, that he develops under our excellent coaching, as so many young players have in recent years and gone on to become Premier League stars, and hold on to him to sell at 20M.

Meanwhile, we still need 2CBs, LB, LW, possibly a CDM and a CF.

10M now, in cash, plus a sell on, is of far more worth than a hypothetical 20M in a year. 

I'd have much preferred the money for Fry we were talking about last time we had this conversation (and invested properly into the team) than his plateauing performance and development over the past 12 months.

I'm always hesitant of accepting any value for a player when the argument is "We can use that money to replace them and better". Some of you haven't been paying attention to our transfer dealings, have you? What gives anyone the idea that putting money into our recruitment finances is going to lead to a net positive in terms of players in our squad?

If we were smart, we'd be willing to sell players with a high value with a longer term strategy behind big money. As it is, we'll sell to give Warnock funds to work with. Then in a year's time when he's gone and those players aren't what we need any more, we can... keep them on the contracts we've given them because we can't get shot of them. Again.

• Like 4

If someone out there pays us 10 million for Spence I'd take it, we have Dijksteel for that position who is a good age and even for competition there's Naughton/Lichaj/Gunter out there available on frees for shorter term. If we sell Spence for 10, Britt for 5/7 and McNair for 6/7 that's a 20 million plus pot right there give Warnock 12 million to spend from it and it's a healthier budget than most Boro managers have had and our wage bill will be back to Karanka levels so much more room to move in the free agency market as well.

We should take the Brentford approach sell assets high, don't let say 6/7 contracts run down because you think Woodgates the messiah for example, then reinvest a large chunk of the collective pot of money you recoup across multiple positions supplement then with smart frees/loans.

1 hour ago, macapes said:

Well, he's not worth 10 now, that's a possible price a Premier League team might gamble on him becoming worth that in a couple of years. 

So, we take, say twice his value now or take a chance that he has a good season, that he develops under our excellent coaching, as so many young players have in recent years and gone on to become Premier League stars, and hold on to him to sell at 20M.

Meanwhile, we still need 2CBs, LB, LW, possibly a CDM and a CF.

10M now, in cash, plus a sell on, is of far more worth than a hypothetical 20M in a year. 

I'd have much preferred the money for Fry we were talking about last time we had this conversation (and invested properly into the team) than his plateauing performance and development over the past 12 months.

Fry leaves now and we are left with no CBS at all...

I'd more inclined to sell Spence with a sell on clause.

Spence is nowhere near £10million player. Good going forward but defensively he is shocking, yes he can improve on that but given that he was wanting a move back to London previously then I would take the money and rebuild the squad with quality and experience as that's what this club requires.

• Like 4
13 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

If someone out there pays us 10 million for Spence I'd take it, we have Dijksteel for that position who is a good age and even for competition there's Naughton/Lichaj/Gunter out there available on frees for shorter term. If we sell Spence for 10, Britt for 5/7 and McNair for 6/7 that's a 20 million plus pot right there give Warnock 12 million to spend from it and it's a healthier budget than most Boro managers have had and our wage bill will be back to Karanka levels so much more room to move in the free agency market as well.

We should take the Brentford approach sell assets high, don't let say 6/7 contracts run down because you think Woodgates the messiah for example, then reinvest a large chunk of the collective pot of money you recoup across multiple positions supplement then with smart frees/loans.

Do we think that we'll only have half of incoming funds to spend? I would have thought with the cost cutting from the last 12 months and the drastic drop in the wage bill we'd be able to put all of the money into the squad again.

12 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Do we think that we'll only have half of incoming funds to spend? I would have thought with the cost cutting from the last 12 months and the drastic drop in the wage bill we'd be able to put all of the money into the squad again.

For us to be remotely sustainable going forward I'd advocate for spending half of what we get in or maybe a little over half. I want us to cut the nonsense of 5/6 million for players, if we go that big it should be on 1 position the standard in this league means you just don't need to walk around with high cost squads Warnock built his Cardiff squad from frees and a couple of 1.6 million pound signings (Danny Ward from Rotherham, another bargain signing). Madine was their Jordan Rhodes a big money January signing with the idea his goals will push them to the Prem I kind of ignore the Madine signing when judging Warnock's transfers it was like Rhodes for us on paper it made sense to them at the time in reality the guy struggled to repay the fee with his goal return.

If we bring in 20 million and our wage budget year over year is cut in half I'd hope we'd restrain our spending maybe identify an absolute key striker/winger and put a 6/7 million fee aside for them but besides that there's no reason a 6/7 million budget at this level shouldn't be enough for Warnock to build out a decent squad. I hope Warnock has his eyes out already for some free's if he can find us a gem like Mendez Laing for nothing I'd be very happy.

Looks like the next big defender coming out of the danish league is Sebastian Hausner. 19 years old and looks so classy. Similar size to Fry but much quicker. Good footballing brain too. One to keep an eye on for any club who wants to invest in future stars. Plays for his hometown club though so will need a good move to be priced away. Other players we could realistically look at is Casper Højer who plays left back and Mustapha Bundu who plays right wing. Højer could be available at around 2-2,5 million pounds and Bundu at about 3,5. I watch these players every week as they play for my team here, and they are definitely good enough for the championship and certainly much better than what we currently have. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, diggerlad07 said:

Fry leaves now and we are left with no CBS at all...

I'd more inclined to sell Spence with a sell on clause.

Spence is nowhere near £10million player. Good going forward but defensively he is shocking, yes he can improve on that but given that he was wanting a move back to London previously then I would take the money and rebuild the squad with quality and experience as that's what this club requires.

Wasn't talking about now.  Was talking about Fry being the last player to have been linked to a big money move, last year, which we ignored.  And his value hasn't exactly soared.  I'd have sold him then.

Spence is the same thing. Take the money now.  Bird in the hand.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Looks like the next big defender coming out of the danish league is Sebastian Hausner. 19 years old and looks so classy. Similar size to Fry but much quicker. Good footballing brain too. One to keep an eye on for any club who wants to invest in future stars. Plays for his hometown club though so will need a good move to be priced away. Other players we could realistically look at is Casper Højer who plays left back and Mustangs Bundu who plays right wing. Højer could be available at around 2-2,5 million pounds and Bundu at about 3,5. I watch these players every week as they play for my team here, and they are definitely good enough for the championship and certainly much better than what we currently have. 

I saw you mention Bundu before so had a look on YouTube, would definitely have him here reminds me of Adomah 

Just now, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

I saw you mention Bundu before so had a look on YouTube, would definitely have him here reminds me of Adomah 

He’s got the potential to be much better. Raw pace and very good technique. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I'm always hesitant of accepting any value for a player when the argument is "We can use that money to replace them and better". Some of you haven't been paying attention to our transfer dealings, have you? What gives anyone the idea that putting money into our recruitment finances is going to lead to a net positive in terms of players in our squad?

That's a whole other issue though, the quality of our scouting/recruitment setup.  Though I suppose you have to given them credit for Spence at least.

Do I think we'd buy well?  No.  Do I think we stand a better chance with some money in pocket of filling all the positions we desperately need?  Yes.  Does keeping Spence make up for a lack of CBs, LB, LW or CF?   Nope.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)