oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Just now, Brunners said:

Sure, in a regular off season, but there isn't time to give people weeks to decide.

Yes there is, because absolutely ever club is in the same situation.

If you look at 6 weeks before the opening day of the season last year, that would make this the equivalent of the 20th June last year. Most transfers are made in July and August. We don't need to panic, its just going to lead to more bad decisions.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

You said if we're winning there will be a feel good factor all around the club.  There wasn't one under Pulis because the football was awful.  If the same thing happens this season it will get the same response.  Well, actually, it might not, if no bugger is there watching the games!

Obviously it’s related to the situation the club are in and what expectations there is. The team under Pulis was massively underachieving, and we weren’t winning as many games as we should have. We should have been challenging for automatic promotion. This season we should be happy if we are challenging for play offs. (Which is why I said if the team is winning, which they would be if challenging, the fans should be happy).

6 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Yes there is, because absolutely ever club is in the same situation.

If you look at 6 weeks before the opening day of the season last year, that would make this the equivalent of the 20th June last year. Most transfers are made in July and August. We don't need to panic, its just going to lead to more bad decisions.

Well each to their own. I would prefer we don't make the same mistakes we always make and wait the entire window on one player.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Brunners said:

But we would have already had a months worth of transfer window to do dealings, so it's still not the same thing...I don't understand you sometimes, you're not making any sense.

To do what dealings?  How many transfers are ever done by that time?  Look at our recent transfer history under several managers, including both purchases and sales.  Very few deals are done before July and nobody is talking about being pushed for time then.  It's exactly the same amount of time then as there is available now.  I thought it was pretty straight forward to understand to be honest?  I can't really put it any more clearly than that.

I said on Twitter today the same thing I'll say here: For the first time in probably about 8/9 years, since Mowbray's team, I don't really mind who we lose, and it's actually quite refreshing. Too often I've gone into the transfer windows worried that if we lost a player, we'd either not replace them, or replace them badly. This has been the case with Gibson, Traore, Randolph, Stuani, Ramirez... the list goes on.

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

As with any player sale, it's who you replace them with that matters really.  That part of it is what we've been getting wrong all too often.

Absolutely right. But so many of our players have underperformed recently that I am quite relaxed about losing any of them (for the right money, obviously). Of course, it would be a shame to see young talent like Spence and Tavernier go, but for 90% of our squad, how much worse could replacements be? It's not like losing 3 players of the season in a row as referred to by the first 3 names I listed.

While the last few years have made me wary of trusting Boro's transfer strategy, I do feel a kindling of anticipation for this summer, mainly because we might actually end up with a balanced squad by the end of it, and because there might even be some kind of plan in place. 

• Like 7
Just now, Brunners said:

Well each to their own. I would prefer we don't make the same mistakes we always make and wait the entire window on one player.

Again, no ones suggesting that mate. I'm just saying all transfers are different and need different approaches. Taking a blanket approach (either way) will always limit the quality we can get. Our scouting and negotiation teams are the problems here, not whether we give players deadlines to sign or not.

If he's dead serious on that Monday deadline he has to be talking primarily about free agents when he says it's all up to the players unless we're out there triggering release clauses under the radar. 

I wont be heartbroken if we miss out on Kieffer Moore we have about 3 strikers in Scotland we've been linked with for a year in Dykes/Kalmeri/Cosgrove who are similar and cost less. We've been 'patient' Boro in the transfer market for 7 years it's got us Kai Kamara, Guedioura, Marvin Johnson and god knows who else I've scrubbed from my brain because we sit by the phone waiting on players decisions or like last summer willow in self pity because that Dutch winger had his head turned by that Bundesliga club.

6 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Obviously it’s related to the situation the club are in and what expectations there is. The team under Pulis was massively underachieving, and we weren’t winning as many games as we should have. We should have been challenging for automatic promotion. This season we should be happy if we are challenging for play offs. (Which is why I said if the team is winning, which they would be if challenging, the fans should be happy).

You don't think the terrible football had any part to play then?  People were just unhappy because our expectations were too high?  I hated the football and the results didn't make up for it.  Sitting in the ground under Pulis, even during wins, it was pretty clear to me that people sitting around me weren't enjoying themselves at all and I don't believe that was because of their lofty expectations.  I certainly didn't have any expectations on us storming to promotion, I just wanted to watch some decent football and I reckon I saw it at most twice under Pulis, maybe three or four times at a push.

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

I said on Twitter today the same thing I'll say here: For the first time in probably about 8/9 years, since Mowbray's team, I don't really mind who we lose, and it's actually quite refreshing. Too often I've gone into the transfer windows worried that if we lost a player, we'd either not replace them, or replace them badly. This has been the case with Gibson, Traore, Randolph, Stuani, Ramirez... the list goes on.

Absolutely right. But so many of our players have underperformed recently that I am quite relaxed about losing any of them (for the right money, obviously). Of course, it would be a shame to see young talent like Spence and Tavernier go, but for 90% of our squad, how much worse could replacements be? It's not like losing 3 players of the season in a row as referred to by the first 3 names I listed.

While the last few years have made me wary of trusting Boro's transfer strategy, I do feel a kindling of anticipation for this summer, mainly because we might actually end up with a balanced squad by the end of it, and because there might even be some kind of plan in place. 

My biggest issue with the prospect of selling younger players over the past couple of years is that we'd have been doing it to fund the wages of the older, experienced players, who just weren't worth it in my opinion.  So not only would be losing players with potential but that money would be going to players who weren't really going to offer us much when it came down to it.  As some of them have now buggered off that's at least less the case now.

It's worth considering something though.  I mentioned a couple of times that in the season that Cardiff got promoted under Warnock, their wage bill went up by £6m.  If you have parachute payments or you actually get promoted then that's not an issue.  If you don't (like us) or you fail to go up after taking the same approach then you have a problem.  Something we know all about after the last couple of years.

We'll see what happens and we'll see what Warnock is allowed to do here.  I hope it's not like Monk where we were overpaying (wages) for players that we'd have difficulty shifting if things didn't go so well.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

If he's dead serious on that Monday deadline he has to be talking primarily about free agents when he says it's all up to the players unless we're out there triggering release clauses under the radar. 

I wont be heartbroken if we miss out on Kieffer Moore we have about 3 strikers in Scotland we've been linked with for a year in Dykes/Kalmeri/Cosgrove who are similar and cost less. We've been 'patient' Boro in the transfer market for 7 years it's got us Kai Kamara, Guedioura, Marvin Johnson and god knows who else I've scrubbed from my brain because we sit by the phone waiting on players decisions or like last summer willow in self pity because that Dutch winger had his head turned by that Bundesliga club.

The guys been in management for god knows how long. He knows how the system works and I doubt he is going to be setting 1 week deadlines to people who might have to uproot in the current circumstances. Lazy journalism.

1 minute ago, TAPOUT said:

The guys been in management for god knows how long. He knows how the system works and I doubt he is going to be setting 1 week deadlines to people who might have to uproot in the current circumstances. Lazy journalism.

Well he said it himself so its nothing to do with the journalism.

But I am thinking its a pr thing to get fans on his side by sounding like he's going to do the opposite of what previous managers are viewed as doing. The more I think about it the less I believe he means what he said.

2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Well he said it himself so its nothing to do with the journalism.

But I am thinking its a pr thing to get fans on his side by sounding like he's going to do the opposite of what previous managers are viewed as doing. The more I think about it the less I believe he means what he said.

Wheres the quote neverbefore. I havent seen it and thoght I had read everything on newsnow. Forget thet mate. Apparently he has been on 5live and said it. Really surprised 

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)