oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Ah yes. The risk to reward mantra. People were also saying that when we made cheap risk free signings in the Prem like Fischer, Bernardo, Barragan, Guzan and that turned out a disaster because they weren’t good enough for the league but they were cheap. 

3 of those are from the European leagues you said we should be targetting for cheap signings.

You get duds and successes in every league.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Ah yes. The risk to reward mantra. People were also saying that when we made cheap risk free signings in the Prem like Fischer, Bernardo, Barragan, Guzan and that turned out a disaster because they weren’t good enough for the league but they were cheap. 

Yeah, you were one of those bloody saying it!  To me, when I was saying they weren't risk free at all 😡

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Fischer, Bernardo, Barragan, Guzan

Fischer was a perma crock who once had great potential, Bernardo was already crocked when we signed him, Barragan I suspect was a makeweight, a Bogof, for us loaning Negredo from Valencia. Barragan also had an injury background and ended up in court with his previous club Deportivo who tried to terminate his contract over it. Villa fans nicknamed Guzan, "Bad" which should have been screamingly obvious to our "Scouts".

None of those were risk to reward, although our recruitment probably thought they were being clever. They were just plain stupid and obviously stupid at the time. We were gambling instead of solidifying our Premiership status. Fischer on his own would have maybe been a risk worth taking but not all four of them. Moving forwards heaven only knows what Guedioura and Gestede were supposed to be six months later other than liabilities albeit Bamford was worth the money but not for what was needed there and then.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Im not going to defend boros transfer track record, cause as we both know they have been terrible. But to dismiss signing cheap players and free transfers cause we've been bad at them in the last few years is ridiculous. I mean, we've also spent millions of terrible players,most loan signings have been poor, by your logic we shouldn't sign anyone as clearly it hasnt worked. 

joking aside, I understand your pessimism based on our track record, but we now have a manager in warnock with track record of doing on the cheap. i mean in the seasons leading up to their promotion, cardiff had a net spend of 4 million on players. Other clubs have also done it, in the 4 seasons leading up their promotion, Sheffield united had a net spend of 6 million and more impressively Brentford have made 46 million profit in sale over the last 4 seasons  and have still been challenging for promotion. both clubs signed players from predominately lower leagues or journeyman who wernt to be past it.  

My main point would be that, yes boro have signed poorly over the last few seasons, but we now have a shrewd manager who has a track record of not only doing things on a budget but turning sides around.  Theres plenty of evidence it can be done and plenty of evidence of suggest warnock is the man to do it.  
EDIT: so rather than the doom and gloom about signing a player from league 2, lets maybe try trusting that a manager with over 40 years experience in game might know what he's doing. 

Edited by tmcc
  • Like 1
26 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Yeah, you were one of those bloody saying it!  To me, when I was saying they weren't risk free at all 😡

I think I only said that about Fischer because I had really high hopes for him and thought he was ready for a bigger league. But like a lot of players coming out of Holland he was no way near good enough. The rest I didn’t care much for and never thought would help our cause. 

This surely means a big name such as Fry, Britt is off if we’re spending £2m for a third striker when he wants to play a lone striker in a 4-3-3. Especially when we still need a new defence and at least a couple of wingers.

8 minutes ago, DevKWat said:

This surely means a big name such as Fry, Britt is off if we’re spending £2m for a third striker when he wants to play a lone striker in a 4-3-3. Especially when we still need a new defence and at least a couple of wingers.

Britt surely has to be off, if not that money should absolutely be going on creative midfielders/wingers 

Doesn't matter that much who starts up front if you can't hurt teams with pace and create chances 

Both Britt and Fletch are better strikers imo and Moore's 28 next month, much rather some free agent target man like Gnangduillet from Blackpool 

The Kieffer Moore thing has been a free for all there are 2 named clubs who've paid his release clause (Millwall, QPR) and as of last night it was reported 2 other championship clubs met it and it was up to the player. Apparently it's a bit of a ticking time bomb even for Wigan they have a 1 million pound payment to Barnsley for Moore owed at the start of August so while the release clause takes it out if their hands they'll probably be pushing Moore to decide ASAP.

I don't see why we'd be favourites for him not too fussed over him, QPR so far seem to be the Aston Villa of a couple of years ago where we're chasing the same targets which probably wont be too competitive once they cash in on Eze. It hasn't been a secret we've been trying to find a 1-2 million pound striker for a couple of years like Isaac Vassell. At Cardiff he had Zohore, Madine and Ward with the gymnast going we're definitely a striker short and Nmecha proved that the loan market probably isn't the answer for us and with Fletcher/Britt's contract situations we need someone who we know will be here 21/22 before clubs next summer say 'hey they dont have any strikers at all'.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)