oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

Just now, Brunners said:

I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if he likes players already here as his wingers. I absolutely wouldn't be surprised if he sees Spence as his go to RW, for example. He clearly doesn't think he's a RB.

The problem is spence isn't a RW as seen by his performances at the end of last season. I really hope warnock isn't planning to play him there

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Found this on Sadlier 

Not bad on a free, swear just from those clips he looks so much better than Jordan Jones or is it just me? Defending and goal keeping looks better as well tbh 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, BoroJake said:

The problem is spence isn't a RW as seen by his performances at the end of last season. I really hope warnock isn't planning to play him there

I obviously don't know what Warnock is thinking; but I think it's a pretty likely option, honestly.

1 hour ago, Changing Times said:

That's not what I was saying exactly.  You seemed to be saying it was good that he knew his own mind and turned down our stats guys recommendations.  I was pointing out that his own judgement isn't exactly infallible with the example of Gary Madine.  I have no idea what he's doing other than he was quite happy to say that he'd asked agents to recommend some players to him, something I'm not a big fan of.

I mean given what our own scouts and recruitment turn out, it can't be much worse to ask agents what's available through their networks in particular positions, all this is doing really is widening the net a little in the hope we find something good. No guarantee of quality but maybe names we wouldn't have thought of looking at and maybe at least if he finds a player in that group who he likes, he's already begun the conversation with the agent.

Though the fact remains as you've said, he's only gonna sign players he thinks are worth it and that ultimately means the same person who thought Gary Madine was worth £6m is making those calls. I have my own hesitations that come with him being in charge of what our squad will be left with when he leaves, as I've made pretty clear. But the alternative I guess is that he gets stuck with players he didn't want and has to make the most of a squad he can't do anything with for a year which then becomes completely pointless.

I just hope we find a balance between what Warnock can do good with and ensuring whoever comes in next actually has something they can work with too. Otherwise, what on Earth is he doing here?

20 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

Charlie Goode I feel will be a real coup for whichever teams gets him.

You and I have very different definitions of the word "coup"! I certainly wouldn't call signing a defender who hasn't performed above league 2 level at 25 for 1mil or more a coup! That's not to say he won't go on to be a good signing, but certainly not a coup at this stage. 

• Like 2

Warnock mentioned player swaps can happen, would love us to offer Marcus Browne to Oxford for Rob Dickie probably have to throw in a little bit of money as well 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Warnock mentioned player swaps can happen, would love us to offer Marcus Browne to Oxford for Rob Dickie probably have to throw in a little bit of money as well 

Maybe he meant Fry and Gibson? 

1 hour ago, Jamie-H said:

Mentioned he's looking at the 3-4 prem loan targets the one he really wants club said they wouldn't have an answer until 25th of August. Said he loves the 'lower divisions' has a few players in mind from there mentioned his signings at Cardiff specifically Curtis Nelson as the talent that you can find down there.

Not seeing any clients of that Spanish agent that I'd take to be honest that are realistic on our budget anyway, the French agent NDiaye has a few wingers and a 6 foot 3 24 year old Ligue 2 striker who just scored close to 15 goals Ibrahim Sissoko his clients I can see a few we could look at.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/meissa-ndiaye/beraterfirma/berater/1881

What's significant about the 25th August?

7 hours ago, Tom said:

Mejias will probably stay around I reckon. Seems to be content as 3rd choice without rocking the boat too much, and is maybe doing coaching badges or something while he's here. I would guess he's probably among the lowest earners too. 

Stojanovic will be moved on if anyone is.

Pears is yet to sign a contract extension, think I read somewhere that we had an option of extending his current contract by a year. 
Weird that we haven't heard anything from the club, regarding this at all.

31 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

I mean given what our own scouts and recruitment turn out, it can't be much worse to ask agents what's available through their networks in particular positions, all this is doing really is widening the net a little in the hope we find something good. No guarantee of quality but maybe names we wouldn't have thought of looking at and maybe at least if he finds a player in that group who he likes, he's already begun the conversation with the agent.

Though the fact remains as you've said, he's only gonna sign players he thinks are worth it and that ultimately means the same person who thought Gary Madine was worth £6m is making those calls. I have my own hesitations that come with him being in charge of what our squad will be left with when he leaves, as I've made pretty clear. But the alternative I guess is that he gets stuck with players he didn't want and has to make the most of a squad he can't do anything with for a year which then becomes completely pointless.

I just hope we find a balance between what Warnock can do good with and ensuring whoever comes in next actually has something they can work with too. Otherwise, what on Earth is he doing here?

I think my issue is along similar lines of what happens next but from a different perspective.  We can't 'sort out' the recruitment by effectively bypassing it or reducing it's influence.  I just don't see how that makes sense.  Either the staff are good or they are bad.  If they are good then really they should be listened to and if they are bad then they should be replaced.  But obviously I have no idea what the process is behind the scenes.  Do people just randomly recommend players on their own initiative or is it more focused than that.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Changing Times said:

He also sanctioned a £6m deal for Gary Madine.  I wonder if that was one that Cardiff scouts had recommended to him or not.  I can't think of much worse than a manager getting agents to find players and I really don't see how that improves anything at our club in the short or long term.

Screams short term to me.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)