oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

2 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

We went up with Kike here for half a season, Nugent scoring 8 goals, Stuani on the wing and Rhodes who was the worst striker on the ball I've seen 

Difference was we had Adomah, Downing and Gaston 

I wouldn't put Britt or Fletcher in that promotion winning team. 

Neither Kike or Nugent were prolific for us but they did a job for the team, they were polar opposites to Britt and it worked for us. 

I'd put Rhodes in a similar bracket to Britt he was a goal scorer but very little else and our form dipped when he came in. 

This is where I think the Britt debate gets lost in the stats, people defend him based on his goal scoring record but there's more to the argument than just stats. 

If Britt scores 20 and the team gets 40 is that better than a Kike type striker getting 10 and the team scoring 50? What you bring to the team is sometimes just as important as the goals you score. 

• Like 5
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

It was diggerlad.  I suspect that number must have come down considerably, if it was true in the first place.

Myself and lurker got the same information from the same person. Personally, I think that figure was rubbish or his agent is living in dream land. If that figure is true, then I wouldn't be going anywhere near that deal. 

No way will Fry wanna go to Burnley after what happened to Ben Gibson there, true he will get bigger wages. If we sign Hoilett and Moore we have plenty of experience together with Hall. I would like us to try and get younger players like Amos ect

7 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Myself and lurker got the same information from the same person. Personally, I think that figure was rubbish or his agent is living in dream land. If that figure is true, then I wouldn't be going anywhere near that deal. 

Classic agent openers haha. Deluded beyond belief some of them. Not on the same planet

• Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

maybe its because several big clubs have shown interest, derby, stoke, boro cardiff etc, probs things he can raise the price. 

23 minutes ago, Duvel said:

With a couple of creative players and a good manager we are a top 8 team. 

Do you think we could get promoted with Britt and Fletcher in our team though? I'm not sure. 

Yes. If we had Roberts, Hoilett and 1 other wide player. Plus a central midfielder/ no.10.

I'm not saying we don't need more strikers. We are light in almost every position. But we do need to sort the supply and creativity out first and foremost.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I wouldn't put Britt or Fletcher in that promotion winning team. 

Neither Kike or Nugent were prolific for us but they did a job for the team, they were polar opposites to Britt and it worked for us. 

I'd put Rhodes in a similar bracket to Britt he was a goal scorer but very little else and our form dipped when he came in. 

This is where I think the Britt debate gets lost in the stats, people defend him based on his goal scoring record but there's more to the argument than just stats. 

If Britt scores 20 and the team gets 40 is that better than a Kike type striker getting 10 and the team scoring 50? What you bring to the team is sometimes just as important as the goals you score. 

Come on 

-----------------Britt

Adomah----Gaston----Downing

-------Clayton----Leadbitter

Friend---Gibbo---Ayala---Nsue

------------------Dimi

^doesn't get promoted but with Nugent in there it does? Nugent missed sitters and several 1v1s in the back end of the season 

We've finished in the play offs with Britt under Pulis and he scored 15 and assisted 2 as opposed to Nugents 8 goals and 8 assists in an automatically promoted team

I just don't understand the hate Britt gets on here, only way people will appreciate him as a player is when he leaves the club 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Come on 

-----------------Britt

------------------Dimi

^doesn't get promoted but with Nugent in there it does? Nugent missed sitters and several 1v1s in the back end of the season 

We've finished in the play offs with Britt under Pulis and he scored 15 and assisted 2 as opposed to Nugents 8 goals and 8 assists in an automatically promoted team

I just don't understand the hate Britt gets on here, only way people will appreciate him as a player is when he leaves the club 

That team had balance, width and creativity with a strong spine.

Viva la Karanka

9 minutes ago, LewisBoroPalfrey said:

Come on 

-----------------Britt

------------------Dimi

Well we only had Ramirez for half a season, with a full season of his second half form then thats a different argument. 

I think with Britt starting that season rather than Nugent then we wouldn't have got promoted. We went up on goal difference so literally a point less and we don't go up. 

In my opinion Britt wouldn't have been suited to play as a lone striker. He couldn't hold the ball up like Kike and his movement and workrate was nowhere near as good as Nugents. 

I don't hate him, I just don't think he's suited to play as a lone striker which is the modern way in football. His goal scoring record has always been decent but I expected more from him for what we paid. 

2 hours ago, Jamie-H said:

If we want a 'proven' near 20 goal Championship striker look at Adams/Maupay/Watkins pricetags

Before becoming "Proven" those 3 were signed for a combined fee of less than £6 Million by Brentford and Birmingham respectively. Watkins from the lower leagues (Exeter), Adams from Sheffield United (after they were promoted back to Championship) and Maupay from the French 2nd Division.

Personally I think we should go the route of looking for a 20/21 (like the 3 above where when they signed), giving them time to develop and play as 3rd choice behind Britt (Proven) and Fletcher (who has just scored 10+ this season).

But then Warnock is probably not in the same frame of mind when it comes to playing style as I am and he's probably not thinking long term as it stands.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Before becoming "Proven" those 3 were signed for a combined fee of less than £6 Million by Brentford and Birmingham respectively. Watkins from the lower leagues (Exeter), Adams from Sheffield United (after they were promoted back to Championship) and Maupay from the French 2nd Division.

Personally I think we should go the route of looking for a 20/21 (like the 3 above where when they signed), giving them time to develop and play as 3rd choice behind Britt (Proven) and Fletcher (who has just scored 10+ this season).

But then Warnock is probably not in the same frame of mind when it comes to playing style as I am and he's probably not thinking long term as it stands.

I agree we could utilise European leagues better but look in League 1 there's no standout young strikers and the 'best' striker in the league Toney is priced at 8 million! I think, and the club as well apparently, that getting a new striker on the books permanently is a priority right now so the League 1 options available right now are bleh and I don't see Warnock looking abroad even if he says he is.

Reality for us is our 2 senior contracted strikers are our higher earners, we have no intention of extending on their current terms and if you're them why accept reduced terms at their ages so the conundrum is they're probably both available but the club knows it needs to commit to a new striker this summer so that we at least have one on the books next summer otherwise we'll be extorted for any striker we go for and be in an awful position going into that pre season.

1 hour ago, diggerlad07 said:

Fry refused to leave last summer and in January as he had only just bought a house in Nunthorpe. Not sure if it's still the case but he doesn't want to leave as he's a home boy. Very strange career decision but it wouldn't be the 1st time (Matt le Tissier 

1 hour ago, Skinemrippers said:

I loved Kike! 

I really wish we look abroad for some signings like Kike.  As we need to be doing what Brentford do scout the lower leagues of European football to undercover potential future stars on the cheap. That we can then sell for 30+ million 😁

Edited by DurhamRed
  • Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)