oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

Where though?  Last night whilst waiting for my son to finish training I was looking at whoscored and there are very few, if any strikers available with a decent scoring record that has the physicality and mobility / work ethic we need. Gnanduillet is older than Moore, less mobile and basically a lamppost. I dont necessarily think a stellar goalscoring record is vital. Someone made a point about Firmino earlier in the week. He is in single figures but without him Liverpool arent as good.

My point more is that Moore has had one successful season in the championship, I think its more a personal thing that I have never been that impressed but players who can hold up the ball and trouble a defence and maybe add 10 goals surely isnt the holy grail?

2 minutes ago, "KM" said:

I really don’t see the problem in signing older players as long as they do a job. Warnock has already said that this squad has no leaders so the likelihood is we will be bringing in a couple of older/seasoned Championship players like Grant Hall. 

There isnt any problem with that. We need some experience but it doesnt seem to be the profile the club is looking at.

Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

My point more is that Moore has had one successful season in the championship, I think its more a personal thing that I have never been that impressed but players who can hold up the ball and trouble a defence and maybe add 10 goals surely isnt the holy grail?

Thats a fair point but who is there?

1 minute ago, TAPOUT said:

Thats a fair point but who is there?

That's not really up to us to see though, we aren't going to come up with people on here but managers should have the contacts or knowledge to see players who can either be adapted into the role or ones in leagues we might not be too aware of

I don't think you can always tell by stats alone too, as Warnock alluded to

2 hours ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Just to add onto my post from yesterday, in the interest of fairness I have also created a graph to show the Boro midfielders too.
I haven't included Wing (as he tends to operate further up the pitch, I also can't seem him being an effective holding mid) and I also haven't included Tavernier as according to WhoScored he has played 9 games in centre mid. In my own opinion I would not even consider Tav for a holding role, as he has other qualities that far outweigh him holding in the middle of the park. Personally I can see him developing into a Lampard esc role/play style.

image.thumb.png.cf3e3b4c6b46e67fb04895b9c6f1b5fe.png

Disclaimer: Howson (as we know) has played a lot of games at right-back and centre-back which may skew his stats slightly. The same can be said for McNair who has played in a back 3 a lot.
I have also kept the graph on the same intervals as the previous graph, so it's going upto 3.5 (per game) in intervals of 0.25. Stewart has 3.4 tackles per game for reference.

Loving the stats DFDS. I think the Howson numbers are definitely impacted by his spell in defence during the season, the number of clearances is an obvious outlier. However regardless of where Howson or McNair played, none of our midfielders are anywhere near Stewarts figures (tackles, fouls, etc) so a completely different type of player than we have. He's obviously a destroyer/anchor type of DM, and that type of player would presumably open up space for other midfielders to shine in a central 3. 

9 minutes ago, boroie said:

Expecting Hugill to be back soon, and the spin that he has 'unfinished business' and was always our number 1 target

You joke, but he's better than Moore and I actually would have him back.

Get him to cut out the diving and he fits the bill.

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

You joke, but he's better than Moore and I actually would have him back.

Get him to cut out the diving and he fits the ticket.

Had a good season at QPR, I wouldn't be against it

6 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

That's not really up to us to see though, we aren't going to come up with people on here but managers should have the contacts or knowledge to see players who can either be adapted into the role or ones in leagues we might not be too aware of

I don't think you can always tell by stats alone too, as Warnock alluded to

Its funny though that its ok to pull apart a player that we were interested in but not to suggest an alternative in the current climate. Theres hardly a conveyor belt of players available. This isnt a dig at anyone btw.

A few names I came up with that seem reasonable fits for our budget and fit Warnock's physicality demand.

Ross Stewart - Ross County striker last year of his contract

Lyndon Dykes - Livingston striker has a 2 million pricetag but can probably get for less, Barnsley inching up in bids latest one was 1.2 million the unnamed bid we have no details on

Ibrahim Sissoko - 15 goals in 25 Ligue 2 games, same agency as Bamba/Sala and Warnocks pal Willie Mckay

Outside of a left field pick from a European league I don't really see much else out there in England that would be within our budget, available and fit what Warnock wants in a striker. This is me guessing the 'top' target not necessarily saying that a Gnanduillet or whoever would not fit the bill I don't think those types would be viewed as better than Moore.

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)