oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

7 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

I think the Hugill bashing is harsh tbh. He played Pulis tactics in a boro side devoid of creativity. It’s no wonder his stats aren’t great. That said, all strikers at boro don’t have good stats. Apart from Bamford from when we actually had a creative influence in the team of Tomlin and Gaston. 

If we sort out our creativity we will score more goals.  It amazes me how each window we fail to address this. But each season I hold out hope that this window will be our time 😂

It's frankly pathetic that each window we've not solved it despite it having been proven from our successful years in the Championship to be the difference maker to turn draws into wins. We'll bring in striker after striker, hoping their goal records will improve or even be consistent with the past, never pushing on to sign the players that actually make the difference in the final third and point the finger at the strikers for not producing the same goal records in a Boro shirt.

If these players are demanding more and we say no, we need to really buck our ideas up a bit. I'm not saying bend over for them but can't keep forever blaming wage demands and agents for our failure to compete when signing creative players, we can't just not sign them at all because the better ones won't accept our offers too.

If the club had any sense, they'd be trying to find these players where we are the step up for them and give them a coach who'll actually improve them. As it is, we want immediate answers to the most problematic questions without bloody paying for them 'cause they don't think Boro is as nice as Barcelona.

• Like 2
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, tmcc said:

but  the season starts in 4 weeks, is 4 weeks enough time to get the 6 or so player we need to gel together?  

Probably, most of the players don't return to training for another 2 weeks.

I don't think we'll make 6 signings in the next 2 weeks though, so it's going to be an issue but it is every season.

Bar last year almost every club has signed players after the season has started.

@wilsoncgp I agree. Sometimes you have to pay a little extra for those sought after positions. For all the money we’ve wasted on players in the past who don’t fit the style or who came for a pay day, we seem to get really put off by a creative players price tag / demands. 

So we've signed one player and some people are melting down.

Good to see boro are thinking it through, working way through the highs and lows of transfer market and know we have two months left. 

In Warnock I trust. He hasn't come out frustrated yet. We haven't been drawn into bidding wars etc.

Let's also not forget money is tight everywhere months have gone by and teams have had no revenues from gate receipts. Look at rest of championship not as if everyone has gone crazy yet

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Probably, most of the players don't return to training for another 2 weeks.

a 2 week pre season fills me with nothing but confidence. 

• Haha 1

I wonder if there would be this kind of backlash if warnock hadn't been all Billy big balls about getting the targets in early and telling them to bugger off if they dont sign within a week. 

I did say at the time that I felt it was an empty pr stunt to get fans on his side and it wouldn't actually reflect our strategy, but it seems to have been believed by a lot of fans and now its getting a bit tetchy because it hasnt worked out like he said.

An advantage someone like a Lyndon Dykes might have for Warnock is he's already done his pre season because of the timing of the Scottish league and he's already firing in competitive games where you see the League 1 lads and free agent Grant Hall needing the extra week or so fitness work so as the month ticks down I think free agents become less and less likely.

I think like Karanka did when he went on pre season trips to Spain, Warnock will probably be very eager to push on next week before the Cornwall camp starts and get multiple bodies in.

You look at the squad set to return to Rockliffe on Monday and it is in abysmal shape no offence to Stubbs but we have basically 2 CBs Fry and Hall we have the 2 GKs but apparently 1s off at any moment is he happy giving Stoj a full pre season as no.1 even though he's clearly eyeing a new GK?

Then in wide areas it's basically Tavernier and Browne I guess Coulson if needed, the midfield just looks stale there is no natural holder in there at all except Liddle surely he'll want to get his system going from the first friendly? Then up front it's Fletch, Britt and probably Burrell we have serious gaps if we're talking about building a new spine and drilling a system in the next 5 weeks.

No panic yet but you'd think things will need to move along on incomings/outgoings before we get down to Cornwall in a week and a halfs time.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Neverbefore said:

I wonder if there would be this kind of backlash if warnock hadn't been all Billy big balls about getting the targets in early and telling them to bugger off if they dont sign within a week. 

I did say at the time that I felt it was an empty pr stunt to get fans on his side and it wouldn't actually reflect our strategy, but it seems to have been believed by a lot of fans and now its getting a bit tetchy because it hasnt worked out like he said.

it wasnt so much that it was believed, more that its what we need to do. As we all know, were in need of 6/7 players, the sooner you can sign them the better. Leaving signings to late in the window makes it harder as the price goes up and also the selling club has less time to look for a replacement. also, Boro's track record of pulling of signings late in the window is pretty poor/none existent.  
I hope im wrong, and i havnt given up hope yet, im just starting to get a worrying feeling of same old same old as its literally the same format as previous windows. 

7 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

It definitely gave the suggestion that things were trying to move quickly. Maybe if we'd got a bunch of those targets in, we'd have felt much better. But now we're past that stage of say, the free agents and whatnot, now we're back into the hard negotiation work and things will generally die down with one or two bits of 'exciting news' here and there for the next 2 months.

22 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Maybe it just means that our number one targets have turned us down so we’ve now moved on to the next targets. 

1 minute ago, "KM" said:

Maybe it just means that our number one targets have turned us down so we’ve now moved on to the next targets. 

Maybe. I think it was just public posturing myself. But I dont think it helped the expectations of the fans either way. 

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)