oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

If Warnock want's to play a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 we're going to need wingers. Marvin as depth is as good as we're going to get, at least he's fast and has a pretty accurate cross on him and has already had the time to get familiar in what will be a strange preseason.

• Like 2
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Marvin Johnson is the equivalent to a new signing. 😁

(Although I think this post is very much tongue in cheek) 

This is just not true. A new signing is equivalent to a new signing or at a push a injured player coming back after a long lay off. Not a player who was involved the whole of our worst performing season (points wise) in recent memory. 
I know you have some sort of affiliation to Marv but many people myself included he needs to go a long to even level out for what he did against Hull. Then push on to become an asset. 
The point in trying to make is he’sa squad player at best and a meh signing and a year deal seems about right. 

However if he’s been unlucky with playing under managers that don’t utilise his strengths and Warnock is the man that unlocks I fully expect you to come on here with the I told you so attitude. And personally I really hope that happens and I’ll be the first to hold my hand’s up 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Tobermory Whitby said:

I'm not sure I completely agree with the above.

I know we are not Liverpool, but Warnock has stated that he wants to play 433.

Liverpool's fullbacks, Alexander-Arnold and Roberson got 13 and 12 assists respectively last season, and that's the kind of input you need from fullbacks in a 433.  The DCM provides cover for attacking fullbacks.  Or should do. 

Yes I get that those two full-backs exceptional...

I don't know how Trent compares to the rest of the Liverpool team but when I watch him he's almost like their playmaker at times, I'd guess he must create more than virtually anyone else for them. 

He's got to be one of the best right backs in the world so I think our chances of finding a right back as influential as him (even the championship version) must be virtually impossible. 

59 minutes ago, Mfcdanny said:

You cant build a team around a left back thats for sure. So warnock isnt gonna change his system that is proven just to accommodate coulson. Hes definatly not a winger imo. So for me he needs to work on his defending. He looks great going forward from deep but you could see that teams used to target our left back position when him and bola were playing. Theres definatly a player there but hes one of them who hasnt got a nailed down position so most managers will look at him and say the same 

I agree you can't build a system around a left back but that is precisely the argument used by Boro's lawyers when we took Liverpool to court over the tapping up of Christian Ziege.

People moaning about Johnson staying being the end of Coulson should not worry. If Coulson good enough he will play. Warnock tends to play players on merit. He signed left back Greg Cunningham for £4m when Cardiff got promotes but stuck with Joe Bennett in PL. I assume because he felt Bennett merited it more than Cunningham.

Therefore if Johnson gets in ahead of Coulson it says more about Coulson than it does about anyone else imo. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Uwe said:

(Although I think this post is very much tongue in cheek) 

This is just not true. A new signing is equivalent to a new signing or at a push a injured player coming back after a long lay off. Not a player who was involved the whole of our worst performing season (points wise) in recent memory. 
I know you have some sort of affiliation to Marv but many people myself included he needs to go a long to even level out for what he did against Hull. Then push on to become an asset. 
The point in trying to make is he’sa squad player at best and a meh signing and a year deal seems about right. 

However if he’s been unlucky with playing under managers that don’t utilise his strengths and Warnock is the man that unlocks I fully expect you to come on here with the I told you so attitude. And personally I really hope that happens and I’ll be the first to hold my hand’s up 

It was tongue in cheek but I'm pleased he's staying, of course. 

I think he did really well at the back end of the season and under Warnock will continue to improve. 

We are short on numbers as it is, and it's only an initial 1 yr deal. Makes sense to me.

Not keen on Marvin Johnson resigning, I think he was woeful at times this season. His positioning was poor, tackling rash and his deliveries when he eventually made it forward we’re more often than not really bad. He did an occasional good ball in, but it was rare. 

I was hoping we would let him go, but I suppose in the current climate it makes sense to keep him if he knows the set up and is a known quantity. 

The length of his deal to next season highlights to me that he will be moved on when the market it freed up. 

So that’s now Coulson, Browne and Johnson for LM?

Can't give the source up I'm afraid, apparently his last contract was £3500 p/w so can't imagine the terms being too unfavourable, i was told he would be down from Durham for talks this week 

42 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

People moaning about Johnson staying being the end of Coulson should not worry. If Coulson good enough he will play. Warnock tends to play players on merit. He signed left back Greg Cunningham for £4m when Cardiff got promotes but stuck with Joe Bennett in PL. I assume because he felt Bennett merited it more than Cunningham.

Therefore if Johnson gets in ahead of Coulson it says more about Coulson than it does about anyone else imo. 

Agreed. Coulson looked good as a wing back but realistically not many teams play that formation, needs to bulk up a bit and improve defensively if he wants to be a proper full back. Until that happens he’ll have to make do with coming off the bench probably. He’ll get chances though not like Pulis and Harrison etc. Same with Spence, I’m not worried about his game time. If he stays that is. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8623657/Charlton-Athletic-sign-Conor-Washington-free-transfer-Hearts.html

"Have interest from Middlesbrough for GK Dillon Phillips"

Only us mentioned in relation to Phillips seems pretty credible that he's high on Warnock's list of GKs if not at the top.

The price mentioned earlier today from Blackburns local is they understand Charltons pricetag to be 800k. Not sold on Phillips myself from his highlights stuff seems to just hit him alot and end up back in a dangerous area but if Warnock gets him I'll back it.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)