oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

15 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

You are right like Smogzilla, it's not enough time to make an accurate assessment of him, in fairness.

He has done quite well at League one wether he can make the step up I am not sure. 

The little we have seen if him he hasn't shown anything. But then few people did under Woody. 

Edited by GrimsbyBoro
  • Like 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

I think Browne had something but temperamentally he was very suspect. That may have been over just eagerness to show off his skills or poor coaching from the dug outs or more than likely a bit of both. Bola just looked woefully out of his depth.

Now in balance and in fairness to them I think that Warnock could improve both of them, question is whether it will be to a standard that is good enough for the Championship. Out of the two I think Browne the more likely to make it but like CT I do have a feeling in my water that there is just something missing. It may have been external, a lack of organisation in the team and consequently personal discipline and not playing to a structured plan. One thing Warnock does excel at his having a plan and sticking to it, synergy with his sides is a strong point.

West Ham fans seemed genuinely annoyed that they sold him so clearly there is something to work on. If anyone is going to find it and smooth off those rough edges its a Manager with 40 years experience.

1 minute ago, TAPOUT said:

So because people have a different opinion to you they live under a rock? Tell me how Boro have progressed with the players we have in the past 18 months. To make it easy for you you dont have to mention either goals scored or position in the table.

to arrive at the opinion you arrived at, i.e the players are to blame for the current suggests that you have clearly not been following whats been happening at the club.  like i said we finished 6th and 7th with largely the same squad we had for the current season. it seems quite evident that this seasons failures come from Woodgate and also the failure to sign players in weak areas i.e wingers and creative mid. 
Again im not saying the players are blameless but its fairly clear the manager (Woodgate was to blame). for example warnock has come in and take 12 points from a possible 24 with 50% win ratio in his first games. with this points to games stretched over a full season we'd have finished 8th with 69 points. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, tmcc said:

see i dont get this you dismiss jones and windass and then your proposal is Lopes from hull. i would argue that hes even more of a risk than the other two based of the fact that one hes never really set the world alight in that he's played 142 games and scored 5 goals, he only scored twice last season. do we need another winger who cant score?
Also how much is gonna cost? wigan paid 1.5 million and Hull paid even more than that ,so it stands to reason they may want at least a few million for him. 
I dont doubt that he may be good player and come good but as i pointed out above he constitutes more of a risk and in our current position i dont think we can take such risks. 

Lopes is a CM

1 minute ago, Will said:

Lopes is a CM

fair enough, i assumed since the discussion was about potential wingers to sign,he was one. ill change my point then we are over saturated in midfield and should be the last area we look and again his stats aint good, 2 goals and 3 assists from 40 games, meh. 

2 minutes ago, tmcc said:

fair enough, i assumed since the discussion was about potential wingers to sign,he was one. ill change my point then we are over saturated in midfield and should be the last area we look and again his stats aint good, 2 goals and 3 assists from 40 games, meh. 

What I’d say to that is, are you happy with our current midfield options? Because I’m not, and I don’t think Warnock is. 

Lopes is completely different to our current midfielders and would offer something that we don’t have currently.

Browne would need to make a huge improvement for him to become a decent player for us,  because I honestly felt he has offered very little the times I've seen him play, he's been very poor, I hope I'm proved wrong but I don't see it.

Just now, Will said:

What I’d say to that is, are you happy with our current midfield options? Because I’m not, and I don’t think Warnock is. 

Lopes is completely different to our current midfielders and would offer something different.

yeh i agree with you on that one, dont rate mcnair, saville wasnt great but has actually looked good under warnock so i dont mind him staying. do agree the players we have are quite generic but is lopes the player we need, i didntt know enough about him (I didnt even know his position)  to comment fully. But based on his career to date i still think he would constitute a risk. 

8 minutes ago, tmcc said:

to arrive at the opinion you arrived at, i.e the players are to blame for the current suggests that you have clearly not been following whats been happening at the club.  like i said we finished 6th and 7th with largely the same squad we had for the current season. it seems quite evident that this seasons failures come from Woodgate and also the failure to sign players in weak areas i.e wingers and creative mid. 
Again im not saying the players are blameless but its fairly clear the manager (Woodgate was to blame). for example warnock has come in and take 12 points from a possible 24 with 50% win ratio in his first games. with this points to games stretched over a full season we'd have finished 8th with 69 points. 

Well you are completely wrong about me. I have been watching the club as a whole very closely and understand fully the problems faced by Woodgate as a rookie manager And a poor one at that. I expected a hell of a lot more from senior pros, who seemEd to think that in our position they can go on the pitch and do what they feel is their job and no more. Howson getting deliberately sent off v Cardiff after signing his option is a disgrace. We weren’t guaranteed safety at that point. But you seem happy with people like that.

• Like 1

Browne hit the post or crossbar 4-5 times and missed a few sitters with the majority of those 'near misses' coming off the bench I'm more than open to seeing more of him under Warnock to be honest same as Bola.

I'd hope whatever 'creative midfielder' we sign can take set pieces it's my only ask because our current options for corners and free kicks are really bad.

• Like 5
25 minutes ago, tmcc said:

where do i begin.

Again you missed my point, i made the point that the players were decent players, your main point again is behind the fact we overpaid, something i never denied and agree with so stop making it. also most of  your post seems to be attacking monk, iv never once defended monk and agree he was crap, the point im making that you keep failing to see is that the players he signed were good players, over priced yes, but good players. 
Just because

monk didnt get them to play well dosent make them bad players or signings, i think it highlights the ineptitude  of monk, BECAUCE as you quite rightly pointed out another manager came in and got this exact same group of players to move up the table into the playoffs highlighting their ability when managed properly.

"mate you just been awarded an honorary degree is stupidity congratulations"  firstly i think you meant in, secondly how old are you 12?

Again you missed my point. I NEVER MISSED IT AT ALL.

You seem to be having trouble understanding how the basics of football works. i'll break it down a bit for you.

When a club signs players for the team. they are signed to do a job for the team that the manager wants as part of his plan to improve the performance on the pitch. you dont just look at players and sign anyone who is decent and hope it works. so when judging signing of a player you have to consider this.

Example 1: fletcher, signed by monk to play in a front 3. but was useless, couldnt kick straight or trap a bag of cement. Not a decent player infact he was terrible.

Example 2: braithwaite, signed my monk to play in a front 3 left side. but struggled to make any impact at all under him. then later quit on us.  Not a decent player at all.

Example 3: Bitt, signed by monk(forget the fee) to play in a front 3 and score goals. however quickly we realised he is useless, unless he has someone playing with him in a front 2. not a decent player in this situation. a bad player to sign to play as a lone striker, very bad signing. 

to simplify it like you did doesnt make any sense whatsoever. fletcher is a decent player because he's okay player 3 years later ffs man, your mad. he was *** *** when we signed him. shotton has always been ***, christie is still ***. braithwaite is *** and dont even dare say barcelona signed him so must be a decent player lmao. they signed him because they could only sign domestic players and only him they could get. britt has been *** for us to. but thats not all his fault. 

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

Well you are completely wrong about me. I have been watching the club as a whole very closely and understand fully the problems faced by Woodgate as a rookie manager And a poor one at that. I expected a hell of a lot more from senior pros, who seemEd to think that in our position they can go on the pitch and do what they feel is their job and no more. Howson getting deliberately sent off v Cardiff after signing his option is a disgrace. We weren’t guaranteed safety at that point. But you seem happy with people like that.

Again never defended the players and said there blameless, but what your alluding to is clearly an issue with the manager as its the managers job to get players to play and instill them with the right attitude and belief, Woodgate clearly couldnt do that and so far the evidence seems to suggest that Warnock can. 
Also senior pros can only do so much when faced with tactical ineptitude, again it boils down to poor management. 

2 minutes ago, tmcc said:

Again never defended the players and said there blameless, but what your alluding to is clearly an issue with the manager as its the managers job to get players to play and instill them with the right attitude and belief, Woodgate clearly couldnt do that and so far the evidence seems to suggest that Warnock can. 
Also senior pros can only do so much when faced with tactical ineptitude, again it boils down to poor management. 

Again its opinion, you say Warnock is getting a tune out of them. Well you cant have been watching us v Hull, Bristol City, QPR and Cardiff. I have faith in Warnock though as he has said he needs to bring in players to help the young lads.

27 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

West Ham fans seemed genuinely annoyed that they sold him so clearly there is something to work on. 

Honestly pay little attention to what fans think about sales.

Clubs im  this country would have expected world beaters when signing Poritt, Morris and Chapman.

• Like 2
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)