oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

24 minutes ago, TheJew said:

I'd be tempted to put McNair in defense. 

Pears (need a new keeper)

Djiksteel (or spence)

McNair (need another CB)

Fry (need another CB)

Coulson (need another LB)

McNair (or Saville)

Howson

Robert's (Need another winger)

Wing (need another ACM)

Tav (need another winger)

Fletcher (or Britt) (need 2 more forwards)

Based on the above and how I would set the team up we would need an additional NINE players!!!

I am a fan of simply sticking people in they lesser position jist because we are short there. Rather we just signed players for the gaps and played everyone in they best position. Obv when injures hit its good to have versatile player which is why if Paddy was sold i would want a very good fee. Defo above £5m we paid for him.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

2 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:

Paddy and Howson have been by far our best players this season so I find it astonishing that fans would think it's a good idea selling him.

He can play CM or CB so versatility is good and exactly what's required with us going to have a paper thin squad next season.

Money talks I suppose but I'd want at least double what we paid for him after a impressive season.

I think it's recency bias again, Paddy was our player of the season for the first half playing in CM. Then he got moved to CB and did really well there too, but when he moved back to CM his performances dropped off a cliff for a while. He's picked up here and there but far more inconsistently than he was playing to start the year.

Maddo was saying yesterday about adding players to our core. The senior pros left under contract will provide a core of mediocrity. This has been demonstrated over the past 2 or 3 seasons. Saying Mcnair has been the best midfielder is like asking who was the most effective striker between Ricketts, Ogbeche or Lee Miller. Our current crop of midfielders have been poor for us. Results and performances prove that. If we get half of what we paid for Mcnair we will have taken Stokes eyes out. His performances have shown he doesn't want to be here. None of our midfield 3 would get into any top half championship teams. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, diggerlad07 said:
2 hours ago, TLF10 said:

James Chester as an experienced CB option? Released by Villa I believe and currently on loan at Stoke but they not certain to sign him as they have a host of CBs. Seems he over his injury issues.

Yeah I'd be all over that type of signing. Excellent leader and I remember we were linked with him last summer.
I really hope we get Cedric Kipre from Wigan....

For what it's worth I was browsing the Stoke forum when we played them and Stoke fans hate Chester.

Listen there's definitely sales we can and need to push like McNair I'm fully on board with selling players to increase the budget but Warnock got promoted on a total spend of 11 million and 6 of that was on Gary Madine!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Cardiff_City_F.C._season

Cardiff's squad is the perfect example that for all the talk every year about how much harder the Championship is and how you need 7/8/9/10 million pound players to get out of it with the right mix of Championship/League 1/SPL signings you can easily build a competitive *ithouse team. I'd venture a guess Warnock will get full backing especially if we sell on McNair and Britt he needs numbers like he needed at Cardiff so he knows he can't throw more than a couple million on 1 player which I've always advocated for.

We'll see but I'm optimistic, Warnock's already talking about needing new players in by the start of PRE SEASON yet alone start of next season I don't get the sense he'll be waiting around till deadline day like Pulis so there's a glimmer in this horrible season for me that we might be set for an actually good summer window under him but I'll shut up because I don't want to jinx it.

Edited by Jamie-H

Id happily take 10mil for mcnair and Saville from Michael o Neill (he loves them both) and keep Spence. Its far easier to find half decent midfielders for this division (we've had about 20 of them over the last 3 seasons) on a budget than it is a promising young wing back. Much bigger wage saving too and I don't think we'd miss either in any shape or form.

• Like 3

I would happily sell McNair if we could get at least our money back. Like the rest of our midfielders he just not much of anything. Just average at everything. Sell him, give his spot to Tav and spend the money on a decent winger. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

Listen there's definitely sales we can and need to push like McNair I'm fully on board with selling players to increase the budget but Warnock got promoted on a total spend of 11 million and 6 of that was on Gary Madine!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Cardiff_City_F.C._season

Cardiff's squad is the perfect example that for all the talk every year about how much harder the Championship is and how you need 7/8/9/10 million pound players to get out of it with the right mix of Championship/League 1/SPL signings you can easily build a competitive *ithouse team. I'd venture a guess Warnock will get full backing especially if we sell on McNair and Britt he needs numbers like he needed at Cardiff so he knows he can't throw more than a couple million on 1 player which I've always advocated for.

We'll see but I'm optimistic, Warnock's already talking about needing new players in by the start of PRE SEASON yet alone start of next season I don't get the sense he'll be waiting around till deadline day or there's a glimmer in all this for me that we might be set for an actually good summer window under him but I'll shut up because I don't want to jinx it.

That’s a shame cause Pulis’ method of waiting until the end of the window for bargains worked so well

10 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Id happily take 10mil for mcnair and Saville from Michael o Neill (he loves them both) and keep Spence. Its far easier to find half decent midfielders for this division (we've had about 20 of them over the last 3 seasons) on a budget than it is a promising young wing back. Much bigger wage saving too and I don't think we'd miss either in any shape or form.

If it’s that easy to find decent midfielders then why haven’t we had a good midfield since Clayton/Leadbitter/Forshaw?

The balance has to be right. Howson and Saville is a solid base for me, Howson sat deeper, Saville box to box and we need to get someone more creative in there. But this has been the problem since Karanka. 

Honestly I am open to the club selling any player within the squad inorder to raise the funds for a major summer overhaul. As the squad we have currently simply isn't good enough to push for promotion. We literally need to recruit 10+ players this summer in every single position. So all salable assets need to be sold! 

9 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I think out of our entire squad I'll only be disappointed if tav goes. 

I must admit, 6 months ago he could have gone as well but his enthusiasm since the restart has swung me a little. I would probably keep Coulson as well. I think with more constructive coaching he could be effective. 

On the subject of our goalkeepers I definitely think we need to strengthen.

Pears has been at the club for ages now and hasn't really shown any signs of being a top keeper, he flaps a lot and doesn't have any particular strengths.

Stojanovic is a good shot stopper but scares the *** out of me every time a cross comes in, I fear he's just going to be Mejias Mk. II

Is Mejias even still at the club? Genuinely can't remember him playing in a single game since he returned.

1 minute ago, Denzel Zanzibar said:

Is Mejias even still at the club? Genuinely can't remember him playing in a single game since he returned.

Tottenham in the cup.

Cost us the game in the replay within seconds.

• Sad 1
1 hour ago, Brunners said:

I think it's recency bias again, Paddy was our player of the season for the first half playing in CM. Then he got moved to CB and did really well there too, but when he moved back to CM his performances dropped off a cliff for a while. He's picked up here and there but far more inconsistently than he was playing to start the year.

He's a real threat with his power and driving force. Got a good set piece on him and has a good shot.

Constantly wins us free kicks in dangerous areas which is going to be key under Warnock.

Overall I think he's a decent CM and has a good season. We would struggle to do better with out current status.

Say we get £5million, then Warnock or whoever the manager is will get around £2million of that to spend. Break it down, who do you think we could get for £2million that is a regular international that would be willing to come to a team that's only just avoided relegation? 

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)