oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

McNair has not been good in 2020. He started this season well and he had some good games sweeping up in the middle of defence when Woody switched to wing backs, though that's not what he's meant to be in this squad to do. I think we'd be lucky to get what we paid for him. I'm just not sure what it is with him, the lad isn't offering enough right now in my eyes and given Warnock is almost certainly the man going forward, I don't think he fits in a great deal beyond his versatility.

In 2020 before Warnock, please tell me any Boro players other than possibly Howson that could come out with any sort of plaudits? The whole team has been shocking and results show that.

Howson, McNair and Fletcher are the only players that have had a good season in my eyes, we should be using them as foundations and building round those sort of players and not selling them.

Spence, yes people get a little bit excited because he has a bit of pace and is direct, but he's a RB that can't defend. We have moved him forward and tell me what he's offered in a more advanced role? £10million, I'd snap anyone's hand off for that sort of money.

• Like 3
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

In 2020 before Warnock, please tell me any Boro players other than possibly Howson that could come out with any sort of plaudits? The whole team has been shocking and results show that.

Howson, McNair and Fletcher are the only players that have had a good season in my eyes, we should be using them as foundations and building round those sort of players and not selling them.

Spence, yes people get a little bit excited because he has a bit of pace and is direct, but he's a RB that can't defend. We have moved him forward and tell me what he's offered in a more advanced role? £10million, I'd snap anyone's hand off for that sort of money.

I agree, but I also think Saville has been our best midfielder for the 2nd half of the season, so I think you can add him to the list of players that have had a good season. Completely agree on Spence. Don’t see the fuss about him tbh, at least not yet.

The thing about McNair for me anyway I never thought “yes” (fist pump) he’s starting. The same could be said about all our midfield. So for me everyone is up for sale not saying sell everyone as we need to build a team around a core but no one stands out as a ‘must stay’ person

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

Think someone else mentioned it in the thread, but you look at all our midfield options and you don't really know what any of them are. They are jack of all trades masters of none.

Exactly. You could possibly keep one of them and buy 2 others with different attributes. They may compliment each other then but they are all pretty much underwhelming as it stands. I would prefer them all going though. New engine required I think. 

38 minutes ago, BoroSmoggie said:

I agree, but I also think Saville has been our best midfielder for the 2nd half of the season, so I think you can add him to the list of players that have had a good season. Completely agree on Spence. Don’t see the fuss about him tbh, at least not yet.

Yeah saville has been good since November when we stopped playing him as a box to box. I actually really rate Saville as well, but fans give him stick because of his transfer fee and he had 1 good goal scoring season at Millwall.

• Like 1

Anyone who actually went to the Luton game at home and thinks that Mcnair and Saville are the core to build around have short memories. Add Howson to the mix and watch us at Hull away and Bristol City and Cardiff at home and that is what some are advocating will help us get better. It's not going to happen. 

9 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

Anyone who actually went to the Luton game at home and thinks that Mcnair and Saville are the core to build around have short memories. Add Howson to the mix and watch us at Hull away and Bristol City and Cardiff at home and that is what some are advocating will help us get better. It's not going to happen. 

They’re international players, think it’s more the failings of the team as a whole than them in particular. Definitely need more creativity in there but Howson, Saville and McNair are good championship players. 

As pointed out by @diggerlad07 who are you gunna get better with the money/attraction we have? Different matter if a good financial offer comes in then by all means sell but I don’t trust our recruitment to do any better. 

I remember McNair being insanely good, I can’t remember if it was the start of this season or the end of last season. He was driving with the ball through midfields, getting shots off and goals and creating chances aswell. I do agree though that he’s hot and cold, maybe not one you can rely on?

Other players to get credit would be Tav, Fletcher and Coulson.

8 minutes ago, Tarmo said:

They’re international players, think it’s more the failings of the team as a whole than them in particular. Definitely need more creativity in there but Howson, Saville and McNair are good championship players. 

As pointed out by @diggerlad07 who are you gunna get better with the money/attraction we have? Different matter if a good financial offer comes in then by all means sell but I don’t trust our recruitment to do any better. 

Well the Hull midfield were probably all free transfers and I would not say we looked any better than them. The same could be said of the Luton midfield or that of Barnsley. 

27 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

Well the Hull midfield were probably all free transfers and I would not say we looked any better than them. The same could be said of the Luton midfield or that of Barnsley. 

As I said you could blame that on the teams failings rather than them specifically as players. You could point out several games in which McNair was our best player at the start of the season, Howson all season and Saville has been solid all season imo. 

28 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

We drew at home to Spurs this season, does that mean our midfield as good as there's?

You seem to be indicating we lose matches based on on our midfield selections which is completely nonsense when it's a team game.

Don't keep clean sheets, don't score goals and you don't win games unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

We drew at home to Spurs this season, does that mean our midfield as good as there's?

You seem to be indicating we lose matches based on on our midfield selections which is completely nonsense when it's a team game.

Don't keep clean sheets, don't score goals and you don't win games unfortunately.

Well the midfield are a massive part of the team. Leaving the defence overexposed as they lack pace and positional sense to prevent counter attacks and cannot create much as we are amongst the lowest scorers. If you have been happy with what our midfield have served up for us this season and advocate the same personnel in there for next year then great. I hope you enjoy the entertainment. I would prefer improvement myself. 

10 minutes ago, Tarmo said:

As I said you could blame that on the teams failings rather than them specifically as players. You could point out several games in which McNair was our best player at the start of the season, Howson all season and Saville has been solid all season imo. 

It's all opinions Tarmo. I look at where we are and see them as part of the problem as opposed to part of the solution. Agree to disagree 👍

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

Well the midfield are a massive part of the team. Leaving the defence overexposed as they lack pace and positional sense to prevent counter attacks and cannot create much as we are amongst the lowest scorers. If you have been happy with what our midfield have served up for us this season and advocate the same personnel in there for next year then great. I hope you enjoy the entertainment. I would prefer improvement myself. 

I never said there couldn't be improvement, but I think we have massive problems that require dealing with 1st as a priority over midfield.

I think playing Howson RB, Johnson LB, Friend CB (playing players out of position) is what has left us exposed.

We lose games as a team and you cant just pinpoint the midfield. Some of the goals we have conceded this season has nothing to do with our midfield and it's the team as a whole.

Take Cardiff game as example 

1st goal - free header - not midfield problem

2nd goal - Was the biggest embarrassment you could conceded from your own attacking free kick. Basics and not midfield problem.

This has been the case all season so to blame it just on the midfield is incredibly naive as its more or less the whole team who has underperformed.

Keeper - We need a commanding keeper and good shot stopper

X2 full backs

X2 Centre backs

X2 Widemen

X1 Striker

Saville, Howson, McNair, Wing are good championship players. I think we will struggle to get better personally especially after the season we have had to endure mate.

Edited by diggerlad07
  • Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)