oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

12 minutes ago, TheJew said:

Anyone will be better than Gestede.

Basically this, and for a fraction of the price. 

if he’s coming in to be first choice I’d be concerned but surely that’s not the case. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Well, at least we're not Reading...

Lies, damned lies and statistics, as the saying goes.  
yes we’ve cut wages a lot since then. But we’ve also had income cut drastically - this was second year of parachute payments wasn’t it?  £35m of our income, or over 60% of it. So really the figures are meaningless as far as comparing us with some of the others. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Oh right, someone should get in touch with all these stats websites and let them know they dont count in that case 

It’s not that they don’t count, but you do have to look at the circumstances surrounding stats to get a better idea. You could argue that he only scored in 1 game out of 8 in the championship or that he failed to score in 7 games it all depends where your bias lies. 
When we signed Aphonso Alves he had a good scoring record in the Dutch league, but 7 of those goals came in one game. 
I don’t know if signing Yaya is a good idea or not, but I’d look beyond statistics. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

That's a lot of pages discussing a player we've only been linked with by one outlet. We badly need a real signing.

Like Kevin Stewart who was once described as a good player by Jurgen Klopp in 2016? 

1 hour ago, Skinemrippers said:

I’ve not seen this forum happy with any linked players yet - just fantasy ones that we don’t have a hell in hopes chance of getting! 
I think we need a good season to re-establish ourselves as a decent prospect with promotion ambitions. Last season was horrific. 

Got to say I’m jealous of Swansea though. Two very good progressive managers since relegation and they seem to be building something exciting. Both very brave appointments as well. I read that we considered Steve Cooper last season but plumped for Woodgate instead 😩

Yep total fantasy players such as Luke Freeman, Patrick Roberts, Stewart and a guy from Mansfield. Personally I think Sanogo would add something to the team and wouldn’t be a terrible signing on a free.

26 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

Fletcher is limited from what I see and I think people will be saying ‘ there’s a player in there somewhere’ all his career. He doesnt bring players into the game and gives defenders an easy game. Britt has never been part of a successful team anywhere in his career. His stats can look good at an individual level. I think that is because you have to set the team up for him to show his best. You cant blame him for that. I mean that was what he was all about, poaching, back to goal in the box. I dont think modern teams play like that, where you have to carry a man for him to show his best. I am not slagging him off. There have been games where he has absolutely put a shift in and tried to do things outside the box. Unfortunately it was wasted energy as it did the team no good and its not his thing. Both our strikers are hamstrung by our midfield. I mean Andy Peake had more energy than these. They were all bought as goalscoring midfielders who arrive late into the box and get shots off. Britt and Fletcher dont allow them to do that. Maybe with a big man who can be more of a team player will allow us to see one of them in a better light. 
You can say lots about Pulis but failure to organise a team isnt one. Woodgate obviously based his playing style after reading a book on chaos theory as to this day I could not see what he was trying to do, so I’ll give you that one.

To me Fletcher's the complete opposite of that, one of his strengths is he does bring people into the game and the season just gone showed that 

Also I'd disagree with this myth that a "big man" would get better out of our midfielders than Britt or Fletch

We tried the big man route with Hugill in a Pulis team in 18/19 

Hugill P37 G6 A2 PPG 1.41

Britt P42 G14 A0 PPG 1.55 

So even when playing under the same manager with the same system and same players we were a better team with Britt on the pitch than Hugill and that's statistically and with the eye test. 

The main problem is the wingers and attacking midfielders, this is again evidenced by Hugill last season at QPR playing with Eze, Bright and Chair he more than doubled his goal tally in the league. 

At the end of the day a Striker's main job is to put the ball in the net and while some strikers are better at creating their own chances than others, they all rely on service from the rest of the team. Ours is horrific and will remain horrific if we don't address the same problems plaguing the squad for the past 4 years 

14 minutes ago, BillyWoofs_shinpad said:

It’s not that they don’t count, but you do have to look at the circumstances surrounding stats to get a better idea. You could argue that he only scored in 1 game out of 8 in the championship or that he failed to score in 7 games it all depends where your bias lies. 
When we signed Aphonso Alves he had a good scoring record in the Dutch league, but 7 of those goals came in one game. 
I don’t know if signing Yaya is a good idea or not, but I’d look beyond statistics. 

To be fair even if you take those 7 goals out he still scored 27 in 30 😁 but yes I get your point

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, "KM" said:

Like Kevin Stewart who was once described as a good player by Jurgen Klopp in 2016? 

at least my hatred of marvin Johnson is based on actually having seen him play haha

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, scottpilgrim said:

Unlike them Sanogo has already played in the Championship and was a flop.

Ive argued with Lewis and KM this weekend that Bamba and Stewart are not bad signings due to the state we are in, but Sanogo would def be a bad signing. 

If he is replacing Britt of Fletcher we are massively trading down and I say that as someone not a fan of either, and we would need to spend the money on guaranteed goals.

If he is coming as 3rd choice I would rather us attempt to get a loan from a prem club. We might end up with a Nimley or Nmecha or we could end up with a Bamford, there is a risk. With Sanogo though its slightly better than Nmecha guaranteed.

he scored 3 goals in 8 games for charlton athletic. they are the only champo games he has. i really think saying he was a flop in the champo is a wrong statement to make. he was a flop in te premier league though. 21 games zero goals as bad as bamford 😄 

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Well, at least we're not Reading...

Reading... wtf? 

Also surely Derby and Wednesday need to get their comeuppance at some point, albeit too late for the teams that went down instead of them this season. 

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)