oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

1 minute ago, diggerlad07 said:

Complete surprise to me. Although initially I was told that we had hoped to have Stewart and 1 more signed before the Cornwall trip but I wasn't given the name of the other player. I asked but either he didn't know or wasn't allowed to tell me.

Do you think or know if we want to sign some wingers? Are we hopeful of Stewart? Thanks mate. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Jamie-H said:

One way to look at this for those sceptical, we bid 2 million and close to 20k a week for Moore instead we're getting Sanogo on a free on similar wages that frees up whatever money we allocated to Moore for his fee, hopefully we put into a creative wideman with pace.

One thing today proves if Sanogo signs is perhaps Warnock is casting a far wider net than given credit for.

He did say in his initial interview that the club had a scouting network in France. He might have liked what we showed him also. 

4 minutes ago, Weasel said:

I've said it on here before but there is so much talent in France and I'm glad we're scouting there lately. So many gems and hidden bargains to be found for reasonable prices from Ligue 1 and 2.

Theres a lot of talent kicking around in all of the European leagues and in the second tiers of France, Germany, Spain, Italy etc. I guess it costs more and is a bigger chew to send scouts over, but you'd think a club of our size would be able to have satellite scouts set up or something.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Dan_Boro_Till_I_Die said:

Do you think or know if we want to sign some wingers? Are we hopeful of Stewart? Thanks mate. 

I have no information on wingers unfortunately but I was well informed that even though Warnock prefers 4-3-3 formation that he was really considering going wing back formation next season because we would only need 3-4 players whereas 4-3-3 it would take a complete overhaul.

Roberts is an option on loan if a permanent doesn't materialise but I suppose he can play as a winger or number 10

Stewart - He's been given deadline  by us to decide but he talked to Swansea over the weekend as well as 1 more team. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, TAPOUT said:

Fletcher is limited from what I see and I think people will be saying ‘ there’s a player in there somewhere’ all his career. He doesnt bring players into the game and gives defenders an easy game. Britt has never been part of a successful team anywhere in his career. His stats can look good at an individual level. I think that is because you have to set the team up for him to show his best. You cant blame him for that. I mean that was what he was all about, poaching, back to goal in the box. I dont think modern teams play like that, where you have to carry a man for him to show his best. I am not slagging him off. There have been games where he has absolutely put a shift in and tried to do things outside the box. Unfortunately it was wasted energy as it did the team no good and its not his thing. Both our strikers are hamstrung by our midfield. I mean Andy Peake had more energy than these. They were all bought as goalscoring midfielders who arrive late into the box and get shots off. Britt and Fletcher dont allow them to do that. Maybe with a big man who can be more of a team player will allow us to see one of them in a better light. 
You can say lots about Pulis but failure to organise a team isnt one. Woodgate obviously based his playing style after reading a book on chaos theory as to this day I could not see what he was trying to do, so I’ll give you that one.

Fletcher lead the line fantastically at times last season, even under Woodgate, he's much better than when he first joined us. So I don't know who's still asking whether there is a player in there somewhere. I think it's pretty clear what he's capable of now. Not bringing other players into games is nonsense too, some of his best play last season involved interchanging with other players. He might not be your bog standard target man but I'm glad of that to be honest.

Britt, I'm closer to agreeing with you on that one, he had a pretty dreadful season under Woodgate and well, we definitely never saw the best out of him when Pulis came in, though the idea he needs a team built around him is hopefully not a thought process that comes from watching him play on his own for a year. Any striker needs creative players to support them, Britt isn't alone in that. But back to last season, where for so long he was poor... until Warnock came in and he was probably about as good as I've ever seen him play. Held up the ball, battled with defenders, lead the line really well and importantly scored goals again.

We've had 'big men' lead the line for us and it's yielded probably less overall than when Britt and/or Fletch have been in the side. Hugill, though admittedly under Pulis again, did no better than Britt and well, we've had 3 seasons of Gestede on and off and he didn't really do a great deal either. Sanogo's scoring record is about as good as Gestede's is, if you discount his 33 goals across 2 years at Blackburn which so many would do since then and neither of them have been very well known for assists either.

Pulis couldn't organise a *** up in a brewery. His teams weren't organised, they were chaotic bundles of players shoved in at one end of the pitch. After watching that *** for 18 months and having only a few years ago seen Karanka's defending, we should all recognise Pulis for what he is. He's a fraud. It wasn't organisation that kept our defences from being breached as much at others, it was just numbers. More numbers than the others. We still conceded crap goals, we still conceded goals from set-pieces and we still couldn't score from them. Karanka has more knowledge of defensive organisation in his left-thumb than Pulis has.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, diggerlad07 said:

I have no information on wingers unfortunately but I was well informed that even though Warnock prefers 4-3-3 formation that he was really considering going wing back formation next season because we would only need 3-4 players whereas 4-3-3 it would take a complete overhaul.

Roberts is an option on loan if a permanent doesn't materialise but I suppose he can play as a winger or number 10

Stewart - He's been given deadline  by us to decide but he talked to Swansea over the weekend as well as 1 more team. 

Wing backs makes sense, because we have players suited to that already in Spence, Coulson, Johnson etc. Would prefer the 433 myself but can see why he might go another route if the signings don't come in!

I normally hate 3-5-2 formation. If it doesn't click it's a horrendeous tactic. But I suppose Warnock is experienced enough to know how to make it work. I can't see it being pleasant for the eyes though.

5 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I normally hate 3-5-2 formation. If it doesn't click it's a horrendeous tactic. But I suppose Warnock is experienced enough to know how to make it work. I can't see it being pleasant for the eyes though.

Wed need at least another 2 CB and not lose fry

2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I think a 3-5-2 can be a pretty good formation and appears to fit our current squad well. Inter, Atalanta, Sheffield and Wolves are good examples of where it can be effective. I don't think a formation is inherently boring or exciting it's all down to the makeup of the players in it and the tactics a manager employs. Atalanta and Sheffield are probably the two extremes on the attacking and defensive side of the formation. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Wing backs makes sense, because we have players suited to that already in Spence, Coulson, Johnson etc. Would prefer the 433 myself but can see why he might go another route if the signings don't come in!

Me too. 

Makes sense why are getting linked CB's and CM as well. 

Dijksteel/Spence - I'd be happy with that at RWB

But I don't know why but I just don't feel comfortable with Johnson/Coulson at LWB so would like to us to sign someone bit more defensively especially incase we drop into a back 4.

17 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Fletcher lead the line fantastically at times last season, even under Woodgate, he's much better than when he first joined us. So I don't know who's still asking whether there is a player in there somewhere. I think it's pretty clear what he's capable of now. Not bringing other players into games is nonsense too, some of his best play last season involved interchanging with other players. He might not be your bog standard target man but I'm glad of that to be honest.

Britt, I'm closer to agreeing with you on that one, he had a pretty dreadful season under Woodgate and well, we definitely never saw the best out of him when Pulis came in, though the idea he needs a team built around him is hopefully not a thought process that comes from watching him play on his own for a year. Any striker needs creative players to support them, Britt isn't alone in that. But back to last season, where for so long he was poor... until Warnock came in and he was probably about as good as I've ever seen him play. Held up the ball, battled with defenders, lead the line really well and importantly scored goals again.

We've had 'big men' lead the line for us and it's yielded probably less overall than when Britt and/or Fletch have been in the side. Hugill, though admittedly under Pulis again, did no better than Britt and well, we've had 3 seasons of Gestede on and off and he didn't really do a great deal either. Sanogo's scoring record is about as good as Gestede's is, if you discount his 33 goals across 2 years at Blackburn which so many would do since then and neither of them have been very well known for assists either.

Pulis couldn't organise a *** up in a brewery. His teams weren't organised, they were chaotic bundles of players shoved in at one end of the pitch. After watching that *** for 18 months and having only a few years ago seen Karanka's defending, we should all recognise Pulis for what he is. He's a fraud. It wasn't organisation that kept our defences from being breached as much at others, it was just numbers. More numbers than the others. We still conceded crap goals, we still conceded goals from set-pieces and we still couldn't score from them. Karanka has more knowledge of defensive organisation in his left-thumb than Pulis has.

And yet despite Fletchers fantastic leading of the line we were the league’s lowest scorers? Interesting outlook. Nevertheless we all see things a little differently. As for Pulis, we had the best defence in the league in his full season. People can state their intense dislike of the man but to deny that takes a degree of organisation is just blinkered denial.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, smogsterking the Inspirati said:

We are long overdue an unflattering signing that surprises and pays off so I'm always hopeful the next guy (maybe Sanogo) can be that guy. I wonder what sort of reaction Uwe Fuchs would have got when we signed him. 

Or Bernie Slaven.

28 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

Thanks for the info. 

2 minutes ago, BoroAbroad said:

Yes, we already know we're linked with Sol Bamba.

As an aside, the Hartlepool Mail's transfer gossip format is horrific, done deliberately to ensure maximum clicks per article.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)