oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

20 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I'd disagree I think a large part of our game plan, is launching it forwards (aerially), hence why we are in the top 5 for aerial duels. I also think another large part of our gameplan is to play it wide for the likes of Spence and Johnson to whip crosses in. 

True that today's statistics seem to buck the trend a bit, I hope it continues to move that way.

Definitely agree regarding whipping crosses in, so far this season going off limited stats we are joint top for crosses per game, 14th for long balls and 23rd for short passes.

Which off the limited information suggests we quickly try to get it wide and then into the box, if only our wing backs could cross the ball!

• Like 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

But seriously, it is length of pass, yeah, as I understand it, not sure what the exact distance is, but it's long, as opposed to say, short.  Who is Forbes?

image.gif.e95fe23ad74521493d64506577166003.gif

• Confused 1
Just now, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Definitely agree regarding whipping crosses in, so far this season going off limited stats we are joint top for crosses per game, 14th for long balls and 23rd for short passes.

Which off the limited information suggests we quickly try to get it wide and then into the box, if only our wing backs could cross the ball!

Another reason why we should get actual wide attacking players and play 4 at the back.  If that's where your attacking play is focused then surely they should be your best attacking players?  You can't say that about Johnson and Spence, you just can't.

4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I don't think he does it for the sake of it but I do believe we could build up our play differently and be less direct if we wanted to.  It's when you see us playing a lot from back to front that I don't like because we choose to do it if you see what I mean?  When it's not being forced then I think we're doing it and often giving the ball away too cheaply as a result.  I don't think Warnock minds that if we can then pressure them and win the ball back a lot further up the field.  I understand why he wants to do it, it's just not my particular cup of tea.

I think that's fair enough and a lot would agree, I think we would be more on board with it if it worked as it did at Cardiff but it's early days.

Honestly I'd just like to see us win a few games again this season and be less of a walk over

Here's Warnock's dilemma on 4 at the back formations, the reason we have a back 3 is to stop our god awful fullback options from costing us as much defensively which they 100% do in a back four, the flipside of this is he has discovered one of the more effective wide CBs in the entire league in Dijksteel whilst protecting the slower Hall in the centre of the 3, the system also lessens our vulnerabilities on the counter attack the only goals we give up are usually gifts either individually, from a set piece or both.

The people crying out for wingers would basically want the 1 of the 2 strikers sacrificing and after inevitable injuries Johnson and Fletcher holding down the wings it would make us no better in my opinion the system we have suits our players and lets us put in the variety of central midfield options we have into use.

We just need 2 wingbacks in my opinion, a top end creative central midfielder who can take set pieces and a massive lump as a striker option then we'd be well set to challenge in the Top 6.

Edited by Jamie-H
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Another reason why we should get actual wide attacking players and play 4 at the back.  If that's where your attacking play is focused then surely they should be your best attacking players?  You can't say that about Johnson and Spence, you just can't.

Warnock doesn't think the players we have are good enough to play as fullbacks in a back four and for some reason doesn't think we can buy them, I agree it's very strange though

Just now, Changing Times said:

Hey Uwe, you big cheat!

CHEAT!

Yeah I had a bit of a technical issue and my memes weren’t loading properly which led to confusion 

image.gif.ac003a8319d70c9aaf1f043e19e0e9fe.gif

2 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Warnock doesn't think the players we have are good enough to play as fullbacks in a back four and for some reason doesn't think we can buy them, I agree it's very strange though

I think Dijksteel would be fine.  If he can play in the middle then I don't see what the issue would be at full back?  If anything, his weakness last season seemed to be going forward, and you'd think he'd have less of that to do under Warnock than whatever Woodgate was trying to do.  The left back position I can see his reluctance although I still think Coulson could be develop into a good attacking full back.

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

You could see the shift in our targets early in the summer it was Murphy/Hoilett and a couple of wingers then around that time he went on TalkSport saying he tried to get Bolingoli on loan as a LB. 

Then a few weeks later Marvin Johnsons given the number 3, Dijksteels a CB and Warnock omits all talk of wide signings. He's not wrong to assess our squad as suiting the 532 and given Dijksteels form as a wide CB why sacrifice him to RB in a back four whilst exposing Hall?

I think his problem now is to win games consistently with this system we need wingbacks that have consistency to their delivery because they get plenty of the ball in our attacks they're just ultra-wasteful.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Jamie-H said:

I think his problem now is to win games consistently with this system we need wingbacks that have consistency to their delivery because they get plenty of the ball in our attacks they're just ultra-wasteful.

Just to add to this Johnson has attempted 17 crosses in our opening 2 games and has been successful with 1 so far (6% success). Spence has attempted 6 and 1 has been successful (17%). 

If we stick with wingbacks, those percentages need to be much higher.

• Like 7

I don’t think we are really that far from being able to play a 4-3-3. Dijksteel looks perfectly capable of playing RB. We’d need a left back though definitely. Then we would need a right winger and a left winger, but we would no longer really need a 4th striker

36 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

McNair helped massively when he pushed up into midfield too. 

I hope Paddy does get moved in to midfield alongside Howson and Tav. I also feel he is better there and them 3 together give us a good balance. Morsy is challenging Howson for the DM role though which is good.