oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

30 minutes ago, BearSmog said:

I imagine the English leagues will fall in line with this. This is the latest news from the Premier League...

'PL clubs delay vote on transfer window dates'

http://www.skysports.com/share/12024594

That's good allows more time and proper planning imo despite who may or not be manager next season.

The two guys already mentioned this would not be Warnock targets I would imagine maybe Woodgates?

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

I understand the new manager is going to get a sizeable amount to spend in the summer, due to high earners leaving and no real spending on transfers in the last 12 months.

I'm not sure how much cv19 will have impacted this, but that was the noise coming out of the club in Jan. Survival in Championshop is paramount mind.

I'd also prefer us to look outside of the UK. I look at Brentford etc and they seem to sign some fantastic players from overseas at a fraction of the cost.

A Said Benrahma or two wouldnt go a miss. Or a Mahrez if we go back to when Leicester were scouting Europe for bargains.

I think if Warnock stays on we will not see any more centre midfielders come in. He has repeatedly said we are light in defence, in wide areas and 1 striker light up top but well stocked in the middle.

I think Friend and Marvin might stay. 

What do we need imo if no one else leaves bar Shotton & Clayton is

2 centre backs.

1 left back

2 wide men

1 striker

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TLF10 said:

I think if Warnock stays on we will not see any more centre midfielders come in. He has repeatedly said we are light in defence, in wide areas and 1 striker light up top but well stocked in the middle.

I think Friend and Marvin might stay. 

What do we need imo if no one else leaves bar Shotton & Clayton is

2 centre backs.

1 left back

2 wide men

1 striker

And the rest. On your plans that would likely only be two strikers as the club will want rid of Assombalonga.

1 hour ago, thatoldchestnut said:

And the rest. On your plans that would likely only be two strikers as the club will want rid of Assombalonga.

Haha that is why i said if no one leaves bar Clayton and Shotton who are out of contract. 

I'm expecting one or two experienced "leaders" being brought in in the summer likely to be in defence. I think the positive thing is there will be a fair few players available on frees or on the cheap that would cover these areas. This would free us up to spend more of the budget on the creative side of the team.

Theres a lot or ifs and buts especially around staying up and assuming Warnock is manager. Hopefully with the lack of spending over the last couple of years and we should be in quite a strong position with players not able to hold clubs to ransom  in the current climate.

Warnock in Gazette today talks about club having forward thinking defenders but not a defender defender. I think we might see a no nonsense old school CB being targeted this summer if he stays on. Not sure if Ben Gibson falls in to the category for Warnock.

Looking at his previous clubs he had Sean Morrison at Cardiff, Chris Morgan at Sheff Utd, Richard Woods at Rotherham etc etc.

I feel a Dani Ayala with a better injury record (and some might say attitude) would be a Warnock defender.

Whilst I normally get really excited about transfers, I can’t help but feel we are going to make mistakes of buying Warnock type players and make the same mistakes as Pulis did. When Pulis left we were left with players of “a certain mould” who either fit or didn’t fit in. 
Whilst I’m happy for Warnock to judge the characters of the players, if he isn’t managing next season, I hope he wouldn’t influence our recruitment of the players. It’s a fair enough point to say we don’t have an out an out central defender who can “defend”, but what if the new manager / coach wants his centre backs to both be ball playing defenders? We then run the risk of buying a player and waste money on them if they are not to be used. 

For me, we need to get survival asap. Once done, we need to thank Warnock and look for a long term appointment. Once established, we need to let them come in and have the freedom to build a squad in their vision that the club and fans can all get behind. This will take time and hopefully the next 3 seasons will see us challenging for the play offs once again.

What we cannot afford to do is get it wrong and go back to the drawing board as we have done since Karanka left. Pulis and Warnock are not long term appointments for a football club. Woodgate was too inexperienced for the job both long and short term, so we need to find a happy medium of experience and shelf life. 

• Like 2

Just read the article, Warnock has given his ideas and the recruitment team are going to have a look. Therein lies the problem, our recruitment team are ***. British players with no resale value in coming. 

Free agents (with Championship exp)

Ryan Fraser

Niclas Elisson

Jake Cooper

1 year left 

Wily Boly

jack cork

ryan Bertrand 

Christian Benteke

patrick van aanholt

steve cook 

Michael antonio

jeffrey schlupp

just a quick google search and on transfer market with players who would fit our recruitment model in the past. I’d love for us to look abroad though. I feel there is more talent out there than only looking domestically. 

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)