oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

In the 9 league games Warnock has been in charge, our wingbacks have the grand total of 0 goals and 1 assist.

So both playing to a similar standard. It’s not good enough from either of them,  the abuse one of them gets is disproportionate mind you. 
I’m not Johnson’s biggest fan by any stretch but I think he’s playing better than Spence at the moment. 

• Like 3

Johnson is an average Championship player. We’re an average at best Championship club because of the poor decision-making at the top of our club. If any serious criticism is to be directed anywhere for us having players not good enough to get us promoted such as Johnson, it should be at Gibson and Gill, and absolutely not at Johnson for playing to the level of an average Championship player.

• Like 3
25 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

So both playing to a similar standard. It’s not good enough from either of them,  the abuse one of them gets is disproportionate mind you. 
I’m not Johnson’s biggest fan by any stretch but I think he’s playing better than Spence at the moment. 

I think the biggest difference is 1 of the wingbacks is a 20 year old lad, who has probably played less than 30 games in senior football.

The other is a player 9 years senior and has played over 100 games at League 1/Championship level. Who also cost the club allegedly £2.5 Million.

Think its stretching it a little calling Johnson a average championship player. Average league 1 player maybe.

Imo another couple of reasons for the Johnson dislike apart from him being crap are he seems to have some sort of hold over Warnock where he'll play him anywhere to get him on the pitch. The other reason is that hes serving as a massive cockblock to Coulson who was our best youngster last season. Ofc those aren't really Johnsons fault, but I'm gonna hold it against him anyways 🙃

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

I think the biggest difference is 1 of the wingbacks is a 20 year old lad, who has probably played less than 30 games in senior football.

The other is a player 9 years senior and has played over 100 games at League 1/Championship level. Who also cost the club allegedly £2.5 Million.

Whatever any player costs a club is absolutely nothing to do with them and should not be used as a stick to beat them with. Make any other point you want Dan but the cost shouldn’t come into it 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

37% passing accuracy against Watford.  The only player worse than that on either side was Bettinelli.  No outfield player that started the game on either side had a lower accuracy than 54%.  Two subs - Wing (50%), Navarro (42.9%) had lower than that but still higher than Johnson.  It's just one stat of course but it's quite interesting.  Some of it is clearly because they are being told to just play it forward, and some of it is because of him crossing the ball, but it's not really good to have a player who gives the ball away almost two out of every three times that he has it.  Not making major or blatant mistakes shouldn't be confused for playing well.  It's also worth pointing out though that he isn't the only player not playing well.

17 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Whatever any player costs a club is absolutely nothing to do with them and should not be used as a stick to beat them with. Make any other point you want Dan but the cost shouldn’t come into it 

True, a player is removed from the fee that is being paid for him. And it doesn't have a bearing on their on pitch performance. But it does go show our (MFC's) inefficiencies in the transfer market. Especially in our current climate, where we are clearly having to rein spending in.

I did make the point about Johnson having more first team experience, so you'd expect him to be performing at a higher level than Spence.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DanFromDownSouth said:

True, a player is removed from the fee that is being paid for him. And it doesn't have a bearing on their on pitch performance. But it does go show our (MFC's) inefficiencies in the transfer market. Especially in our current climate, where we are clearly having to rein spending in.

I did make the point about Johnson having more first team experience, so you'd expect him to be performing at a higher level than Spence.

Fair enough and I do accept your point about experience 👍

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dan1234 said:

Think its stretching it a little calling Johnson a average championship player. Average league 1 player maybe.

Imo another couple of reasons for the Johnson dislike apart from him being crap are he seems to have some sort of hold over Warnock where he'll play him anywhere to get him on the pitch. The other reason is that hes serving as a massive cockblock to Coulson who was our best youngster last season. Ofc those aren't really Johnsons fault, but I'm gonna hold it against him anyways 🙃

He's played like 2 positions 

Alan Rickman Shrug GIF

• Haha 1

Even with wingbacks though, we’re not exactly blessed with people who are good in the air. Britt and Fletch are okay, but not amazing. I think they do an okay job, but that’s not really their game. 

If we are going for wingbacks then we need to make sure that the players in the box are good in the air. But we still lack creativity in the midfield and wide areas and it doesn’t look like it’s being addressed 😞

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Even with wingbacks though, we’re not exactly blessed with people who are good in the air. Britt and Fletch are okay, but not amazing. I think they do an okay job, but that’s not really their game. 

If we are going for wingbacks then we need to make sure that the players in the box are good in the air. But we still lack creativity in the midfield and wide areas and it doesn’t look like it’s being addressed 😞

I do agree with this generally, but when you look at the service from both sides over the last 3 games.. it doesnt really matter how good the players are in the air. Also, we never have more than 1, max 2 players in the box for crosses due to strikers being dragged out wide to try to win long balls.