Jump to content
oneBoro Forum
Smogzilla

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka Deadline Day - super mega ultra extra time

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Just back from the game.

Desperate for some creativity but positive signs are there.

Think we're 3 to 4 players away from having a decent little team.

Set pieces we look shaky on that's for sure.

Crosses are dreadful.

McNair needs to be in midfield has much more of an impact.

Get a left footed CB, a winger and a No.10 and we'll be challenging for playoffs.

If i tell you this now I am hoping the disappointed will be less for you when it does not happen.

We are NOT signing a winger this transfer window. And you will be lucky if we get a no.10 either. 

Btw i am not itk. I am just repeating what our manager has said several tines in terms of what positions he targeting.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

This isn't me saying we don't play long balls but people go on like it's our game plan to just throw it forwars and that all our attacks come from just pump it up to the strikers, hence the Akpom can he head the ball comments. Honestly at times I wish we were more direct

Also look at the stats today, we had more possession and played less long balls than Bournemouth

I'd disagree I think a large part of our game plan, is launching it forwards (aerially), hence why we are in the top 5 for aerial duels. I also think another large part of our gameplan is to play it wide for the likes of Spence and Johnson to whip crosses in. 

True that today's statistics seem to buck the trend a bit, I hope it continues to move that way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tobermory said:

Where are you playing the winger and #10 in a 352 formation?

I'd replace Johnson with a winger and some end product then have a No.10 who we can bring off the bench or start depending on the formation like we did with Browne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

If i tell you this now I am hoping the disappointed will be less for you when it does not happen.

We are NOT signing a winger this transfer window. And you will be lucky if we get a no.10 either. 

Btw i am not itk. I am just repeating what our manager has said several tines in terms of what positions he targeting.

I wouldn't be surprised if we did get a number 10 type. Someone they can fit into the current formation, but that adds creativity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

If i tell you this now I am hoping the disappointed will be less for you when it does not happen.

We are NOT signing a winger this transfer window. And you will be lucky if we get a no.10 either. 

Btw i am not itk. I am just repeating what our manager has said several tines in terms of what positions he targeting.

That's fine but a big reason we have lost against Watford and drew today is due to a lack of creativity and a winger with a good delivery because Bournemouth were really poor and a team with a few creative players would have caused them a lot of problems. It's so frustrating cause we're two creative players and a left footed CB away from having a good bloody team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

This isn't me saying we don't play long balls but people go on like it's our game plan to just throw it forwars and that all our attacks come from just pump it up to the strikers, hence the Akpom can he head the ball comments. Honestly at times I wish we were more direct

Also look at the stats today, we had more possession and played less long balls than Bournemouth

I think Warnock wants us to play as much in the final third of the pitch as possible.  If we can win it back higher up the park, as we did today, then we won't need to be as direct.  If we can't then we will be.  I don't believe that Warnock simply wants us to throw it long over and over again just for the sake of it though, that's not what I'm saying.   Today was maybe the first time we've had a higher pass success than the opposition since Warnock arrived.  That to me is because we completely knocked Bournemouth off their game rather than because our passing was better.  It was still a relatively low mark at 62%.  Essentially, we forced them to play our game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RiversideRed said:

That's fine but a big reason we have lost against Watford and drew today is due to a lack of creativity and a winger with a good delivery because Bournemouth were really poor. 

I respect your opinion on how you feel our shortcomings can be addressed. And i agree with you.

However, i feel we are all now wasting our time to say we need x y and z given what Warnock has said. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RiversideRed said:

Just back from the game.

Desperate for some creativity but positive signs are there.

Think we're 3 to 4 players away from having a decent little team.

Set pieces we look shaky on that's for sure.

Crosses are dreadful.

McNair needs to be in midfield has much more of an impact.

Get a left footed CB, a winger and a No.10 and we'll be challenging for playoffs.

Rather than a left footed CB, we should be signing a left back.  We're persevering with a poor left wing back rather than just replacing him with a genuine left back and then moving to 4 at the back, which we could do quite easily.  Then you can add your wingers etc.  It's completely daft to be forced into a system in order to accommodate a poor player, and that's exactly what I think we're doing at the moment.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

The stats that matter? How do they matter any more or less

Cos they were from me! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think Warnock wants us to play as much in the final third of the pitch as possible.  If we can win it back higher up the park, as we did today, then we won't need to be as direct.  If we can't then we will be.  I don't believe that Warnock simply wants us to throw it long over and over again just for the sake of it though, that's not what I'm saying.   Today was maybe the first time we've had a higher pass success than the opposition since Warnock arrived.  That to me is because we completely knocked Bournemouth off their game rather than because our passing was better.  It was still a relatively low mark at 62%.  Essentially, we forced them to play our game.

That's pretty much all I was getting at to be honest, I don't think Warnock has any intention for us to be a long ball side it more came from us not being able to play the game that was asked of us

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I think Warnock wants us to play as much in the final third of the pitch as possible.  If we can win it back higher up the park, as we did today, then we won't need to be as direct.  If we can't then we will be.  I don't believe that Warnock simply wants us to throw it long over and over again just for the sake of it though, that's not what I'm saying.   Today was maybe the first time we've had a higher pass success than the opposition since Warnock arrived.  That to me is because we completely knocked Bournemouth off their game rather than because our passing was better.  It was still a relatively low mark at 62%.  Essentially, we forced them to play our game.

Serious question. But what constitutes a long ball in terms as counting for the stats. 
would goal kicks, free kicks clearances. Or is it any ball over a certain distance that doesn’t fall into one of those categories. Also is it a set distance and if so what is that distance

 Apologies if this has been asked/answered before I’m just curious 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Uwe said:

Serious question. But what constitutes a long ball in terms as counting for the stats. 

Basically, whatever I decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Uwe said:

Serious question. But what constitutes a long ball in terms as counting for the stats. 
would goal kicks, free kicks clearances. Or is it any ball over a certain distance that Forbes fall into one of those categories. Also is it a set distance and if so what is that distance

 Apologies if this has been asked/answered before I’m just curious 

But seriously, it is length of pass, yeah, as I understand it, not sure what the exact distance is, but it's long, as opposed to say, short.  Who is Forbes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...