oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

2 hours ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I was thinking the same thing, Johnson was signed by Monk and since then we have gone through Pulis, Woodgate and Warnock. In fairness to him he isn't and never was a LB but got on with it. When he is further up the pitch on the wing he gets good crosses in and has set up goals which is more than a lot of other wide players have done for Boro over the past few seasons. He provides delivery and supply and is pretty good at it, but he stinks as a LB but I'd guess he would probably agree.

We signed Bola and Browne last summer and had to jettison them so new signings don't always work out. Bola didn't even make the squad let alone the bench last night despite being available. Buying one decent Player with Johnson in the squad breathing down his neck makes more sense to me.

6 assists in 70 odd games at this level, mostly as a winger. He's proven for a long time he's not good enough. And he's 29, he's not getting any better.

I'm genuinely flabbergasted that this is even a debate. Even gestede has been more productive for us!

• Like 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Johnson is wasteful/ineffective as a winger and a liability as a left back. Hes reasonably capable at wing-back but I don't see us using that formation much going forward. 

I admire his professionalism for sticking around but the squad isn't losing much if he moves on.

• Like 1

I don’t think there is any possibility that a Prem club is going to make a big move for Fry. He isn’t a Prem player and I don’t think he has shown enough to suggest that he can strengthen a Prem squad 

Only players I would keep for the New season:

Stoj, Dijk, Saville, Tavernier, Fletcher, Spence and Coulson.. 

Pears, McNair, Howson, Britt, Brown and Fry, could be used, but I wouldnt mind them being sold.. 

Johnson, Wing Bola, Mejias I would sell.. 

I might want to sign Friend on a short time contract, Kinda pas as you play.. 

I would keep Roberts and not Nmecha.. 

Any good youngsters about ready to play champo? 

5 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

6 assists in 70 odd games at this level, mostly as a winger. He's proven for a long time he's not good enough. And he's 29, he's not getting any better.

I'm genuinely flabbergasted that this is even a debate. Even gestede has been more productive for us!

He has played for a series of failed Boro Managers with varying tactics and preferences during a disrupted and unsettled spell at the club. To me his deliveries are as good as Downing's were in his second spell and indeed probably more consistent. If Gestede was played at LB he would probably have been better than he was as at CF, he certainly couldn't have been any worse.

Bola has been ignored by Warnock so he c;early rates him above him even though he was signed as a LB. At 29 he isn't going to get any better but he is a lot better than what we have or have recruited during his time here and certainly not as bad as some are making out. 

2 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I don’t think there is any possibility that a Prem club is going to make a big move for Fry. He isn’t a Prem player and I don’t think he has shown enough to suggest that he can strengthen a Prem squad 

It certainly might help if he's not being coached by an amateur. He still has potential but he definitely needs some guidance and lo and behold, I think it's clear Woodgate was not the coach he needed. I certainly wouldn't buy him based on his performances this season but there's no doubt in my mind that the lad can still go on to do great things if the right team take him on and give him a chance.

• Like 3
9 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

He has played for a series of failed Boro Managers with varying tactics and preferences during a disrupted and unsettled spell at the club. To me his deliveries are as good as Downing's were in his second spell and indeed probably more consistent. If Gestede was played at LB he would probably have been better than he was as at CF, he certainly couldn't have been any worse.

Bola has been ignored by Warnock so he c;early rates him above him even though he was signed as a LB. At 29 he isn't going to get any better but he is a lot better than what we have or have recruited during his time here and certainly not as bad as some are making out. 

Tav played left wing the last few games and has looked head and shoulders above anything that Johnson has ever shown for us. Coulson, while inconsistent, has also had better games in that position than Johnson at his best. He's definitely not better than what we have never mind what we could bring in.

• Like 1
Just now, Neverbefore said:

Tav played left wing the last few games and has looked head and shoulders above anything that Johnson has ever shown for us. Coulson, while inconsistent, has also had better games in that position than Johnson at his best. He's definitely not better than what we have never mind what we could bring in.

Tav played LW in a few games but didn't warrant a start for whatever reason. He spent last night following Bannon around but he hasn't had to play LB. That said I think Tav is probably the best player in the squad at the minute.

Coulson is supposed to be a LB yet Warnock clearly didn't trust Coulson. With regards to what "we could bring in" I've just sprayed coffee all over my keyboard, you clearly have more faith in Gary Gill and co. than I do!

Has Johnson departed the club now the extra time period is now over or have we offered an extension on his previous contract?

If he has then the debates mean nothing but in my mind if he does stay for an extra year then we could have a decent player on our hands and certainly will help towards strength in depth.

3 minutes ago, Downsouth said:

Has Johnson departed the club now the extra time period is now over or have we offered an extension on his previous contract?

If he has then the debates mean nothing but in my mind if he does stay for an extra year then we could have a decent player on our hands and certainly will help towards strength in depth.

I think that still remains to be seen. Warnock seems to like Johnson for what it's worth. I suspect we might well offer him a new deal. I reckon George might get one too.

4 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

Tav played LW in a few games but didn't warrant a start for whatever reason. He spent last night following Bannon around but he hasn't had to play LB. That said I think Tav is probably the best player in the squad at the minute.

Coulson is supposed to be a LB yet Warnock clearly didn't trust Coulson. With regards to what "we could bring in" I've just sprayed coffee all over my keyboard, you clearly have more faith in Gary Gill and co. than I do!

Not all of our signings have been terrible since the return to the championship. 

Wing and Spence plucked out of obscurity and will probably earn us some money.

Randolph and now stoj look like two good signings.

Howson, Saville and mcnair have had varying degrees of inconsistent success. 

Dijksteel starting to come good hopefully 

Christie and Braithwaite were very good players who we mismanaged.

Assombalonga and fletcher, both good signings who we paid far too much for. 

Roberts a decent loan singing. 

Johnson was signed by monk to help a mate out and has shown no where near enough quality to get into any side in the top half of the championship. We need to cut our losses on him and move onto someone who at least has a chance of showing that quality - because we know now that Marv will never get there. 

Re: Bola. A few people have mentioned the Warnock clearly didn’t fancy him as he never made a squad, but wasn’t it the case that he couldn’t play because he’d been on loan in league one to the end of the season so was “unavailable” even though he wasn’t?

Doesn’t make him a better player though but I think he’s surely worth another look with a decent manager.

Just now, marvin said:

Re: Bola. A few people have mentioned the Warnock clearly didn’t fancy him as he never made a squad, but wasn’t it the case that he couldn’t play because he’d been on loan in league one to the end of the season so was “unavailable” even though he wasn’t?

Doesn’t make him a better player though but I think he’s surely worth another look with a decent manager.

My understanding was that Browne couldn't feature because he was involved in Play Off games and for some reason the EFL then wouldn't allow any Play Off players on loan to play for their own clubs for the remainder of the season. I know Stubbs couldn't play because he had played for too many clubs out on loan in one season so was ineligible. As far as I know Bola was available having only played for Boro and Blackpool.

4 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Not all of our signings have been terrible since the return to the championship. 

Wing and Spence plucked out of obscurity and will probably earn us some money.

Randolph and now stoj look like two good signings.

Howson, Saville and mcnair have had varying degrees of inconsistent success. 

Dijksteel starting to come good hopefully 

Christie and Braithwaite were very good players who we mismanaged.

Assombalonga and fletcher, both good signings who we paid far too much for. 

Roberts a decent loan singing. 

Johnson was signed by monk to help a mate out and has shown no where near enough quality to get into any side in the top half of the championship. We need to cut our losses on him and move onto someone who at least has a chance of showing that quality - because we know now that Marv will never get there. 

I guess we have had some great signings then and have just been very unlucky except in the case of Johnson. As Eric Morecambe once said, all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order. 

Clearly we disagree about Johnson and probably even more so about the state of our recruitment.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)