oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

3 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

My understanding was that Browne couldn't feature because he was involved in Play Off games and for some reason the EFL then wouldn't allow any Play Off players on loan to play for their own clubs for the remainder of the season. I know Stubbs couldn't play because he had played for too many clubs out on loan in one season so was ineligible. As far as I know Bola was available having only played for Boro and Blackpool.

You might be right! I just presumed that it was applied as anyone out on loan until the end of the season would be unavailable to the parent team, until the end of the season.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

I don't really get the Stojanovic love just yet. Pulled some good highlight saves off but he looks like he's daydreaming whenever the ball is in the air, which can't be helping the defence. 

Wouldn't mind someone a bit more reliable but it isn't a priority given the other areas of need!

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

My understanding was that Browne couldn't feature because he was involved in Play Off games and for some reason the EFL then wouldn't allow any Play Off players on loan to play for their own clubs for the remainder of the season. I know Stubbs couldn't play because he had played for too many clubs out on loan in one season so was ineligible. As far as I know Bola was available having only played for Boro and Blackpool.

I'm reading up and I don't actually think that returning loan players could play for us.

Morrison, Shotton and Clayton signed waivers, so were still technically on our books and then we had Meijas too.

We'd be able to name a full bench without them, so I'm not sure they'd be eligible.

We only ended up without a full bench at the end because Warnock didn't fancy playing Clayton or Morrison and didn't want to try and force Shotton.

23 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

I guess we have had some great signings then and have just been very unlucky except in the case of Johnson. As Eric Morecambe once said, all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order. 

Clearly we disagree about Johnson and probably even more so about the state of our recruitment.

I think our recruitment is crap mate. I just think its very easy to get a better player than Johnson because he's garbage.

1 hour ago, wilsoncgp said:

I think that still remains to be seen. Warnock seems to like Johnson for what it's worth. I suspect we might well offer him a new deal. I reckon George might get one too.

To be honest I would not mind with both players because George of late has shown glimpses of George of the past and who knows now certain players are no longer around well you never know do you?

30 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

I'm reading up and I don't actually think that returning loan players could play for us.

Morrison, Shotton and Clayton signed waivers, so were still technically on our books and then we had Meijas too.

We'd be able to name a full bench without them, so I'm not sure they'd be eligible.

We only ended up without a full bench at the end because Warnock didn't fancy playing Clayton or Morrison and didn't want to try and force Shotton.

This explains who was and wasn't available and why:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-efl-tweak-loan-rules-18491967

Based on that Bola was available because the League he was playing in had been curtailed.

I can’t believe Friend and Johnson are in talks to be kept on. 

Being good professionals shouldn’t be a reason to keep players on. 

Friend has been an unbelievable servant to the club and rightly deserves the plaudits and praise that he will get when he does leave. But he has been passed it for nearly 2 years now. It’s time to move on. Sign him up as a coach if we want his presence around the changing room but I don’t want to see his name on the team sheet next season. 

I’ve already put my feelings forward regarding Johnson. If he’s staying on as a very low cost (I mean less than £2k per week) bit part player to cover the left side than fair enough. But as has been stated by others, he’s a terrible left back and a League 1 standard left winger so, like with Friend, I don’t want to see his name on the team sheet next season. 

With regards to Fry, I thought it would be inevitable that some sort of swap deal would happen with him and Gibson. Is that a no-go?

4 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

This explains who was and wasn't available and why:

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/what-efl-tweak-loan-rules-18491967

Based on that Bola was available because the League he was playing in had been curtailed.

The rules were that they were only eligible if you couldn't name a full squad without them, and we could.

I assume that they didn't want to risk any punishment for including ineligible players with the grey area when Shotton ruled himself out and Warnock told Clayton and Morrison to leave.

11 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

The rules were that they were only eligible if you couldn't name a full squad without them, and we could.

I assume that they didn't want to risk any punishment for including ineligible players with the grey area when Shotton ruled himself out and Warnock told Clayton and Morrison to leave.

The Gazette must have had it wrong then as well as me? 

"But left-back Bola is back from Blackpool and training at Rockliffe and will be available under the rules.

And Berwick Hills raised striker Walker will also be eligible after a successful spell at Crewe.

Midfielder Ben Liddle also meets the criteria to be involved after returning from a loan spell at Scunthorpe after League Two was suspended."

3 minutes ago, Redcar Rioja said:

The Gazette must have had it wrong then as well as me? 

"But left-back Bola is back from Blackpool and training at Rockliffe and will be available under the rules.

And Berwick Hills raised striker Walker will also be eligible after a successful spell at Crewe.

Midfielder Ben Liddle also meets the criteria to be involved after returning from a loan spell at Scunthorpe after League Two was suspended."

It's the Gazette.

I'd be more surprised if they got it right.

From the BBC:

In full, the specific circumstances that would make a returning loan player eligible are:

That the player is returning from a curtailed division

The transferee club has not qualified to participate in a play-off competition

Without including the player on the team sheet, the transferor club would be unable to fulfil all available places on the team sheet

The transferor club gives priority to its under 23 players, scholars and other academy players who have made at least one first-team appearance in a league match (or a Premier League match) for the transferor club

The player has not been on loan to more than one club during the 2019-20 season 2019-20

Okay, like I said before I'm flabbegasted by the number of people who want to keep Johnson on, so I decided to see if there was something in the stats that is getting past the eye test so I took myself off to whoscored. This is not pretty reading.

So across the last 3 years, Marvin has made 66 league appearances (3700 mins) between Boro and Sheff Utd. Of these he's made 18 appearances at left back, so that excuse goes out the window - he has played as a winger for the majority of the time. His attacking stats look like this - 

Goals - 2

Assists - 5

Shots per game - 0.7

Key passes (chance created) per game - 0.9

Dribbles per game - 0.9

Passes per game - 19.9 

Pass success rate - 65.5%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crosses per game - 0.8

So across his time with us he hasnt managed to maintain an average of 1 per game of any attacking contribution. Added to that, he loses the ball more than a third of the time he tries to pass it. He contributes to a goal approximately once every ten games.

This got me interested in the stats of another left winger that we released last year in downing- with very few arguments against it - just as a reference point. This is from the 17/18 season, due to it being the most comparable in terms of appearances (42 - 3426mins) - 

Goals - 3

Assists - 7

Shots per game - 1.9

Key passes (chance created) per game - 1.8

Dribbles per game - 0.6

Passes per game - 36.8

Pass success rate - 83.2%

Crosses per game - 1.7

In conclusion - we happily let downing go (which I also felt was the right decision) with literally double the production rate of Johnson, and we didn't feel it was good enough - yet for some reason people want to see Marvin stay on? I really don't get it.

I still can't get over that successful pass rate.

• Like 5
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)