oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

I think Lewis Wing is a luxury player, but one thing he does do is make opposition defenders sit up and take notice when he's <>30 yards from goal, because everyone now knows he can score worldies.

I wouldn't make him a regular starter, but he could surely play a role as an impact sub as defenders tire, and suddenly they have to marshall our strikers and a shot-happy Wing as well.

If his value is only a couple of million, I'd hang onto him for another season and see if Warnock can get more out of him. Jamie Vardy was non-league for a while, but he's turned into a pretty impressive player in his later years. 

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Just now, RiseAgainst said:

I think Lewis Wing is a luxury player, but one thing he does do is make opposition defenders sit up and take notice when he's <>30 yards from goal, because everyone now knows he can score worldies.

I wouldn't make him a regular starter, but he could surely play a role as an impact sub as defenders tire, and suddenly they have to marshall our strikers and a shot-happy Wing as well.

If his value is only a couple of million, I'd hang onto him for another season and see if Warnock can get more out of him. Jamie Vardy was non-league for a while, but he's turned into a pretty impressive player in his later years. 

Since I've been digging into whoscored, interestingly enough his ratings when coming off the bench are absurdly lower than when starting. when he starts in AM he has an awesome rating well north of 7, when in CM it's about 6.6 or something (I closed the window) but when coming off the bench it's like...6.1. Lots of factors could go into that; but suggests he never has much impact as a sub (although he isn't helped by getting 5 minutes at the end of games since NW came in)

Just now, Mr_Maz said:

With Wing, its important not to forget that this was essentially only his 2nd pro season.  

Yep and 2nd season syndrome is a legitimate thing that affects athletes across a myriad of sports. It is really this next year that will make or break Lewis Wing.

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

Since I've been digging into whoscored, interestingly enough his ratings when coming off the bench are absurdly lower than when starting. when he starts in AM he has an awesome rating well north of 7, when in CM it's about 6.6 or something (I closed the window) but when coming off the bench it's like...6.1. Lots of factors could go into that; but suggests he never has much impact as a sub (although he isn't helped by getting 5 minutes at the end of games since NW came in)

Whoscored isn't a great source for this kind of thing. Their ratings often don't pass the eye test. For example, ravel morrison is our 9th best player of the season going by his stats - ahead mcnair, saville, wing and britt amongst others. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised by how quickly some people are writing him off, given his obvious talent.

Yes, hes had a difficult season, but we've all seen what he is capable of - when Pulis played him we looked a far more ambitious and positive team with him in it.

He's a forward thinking player, who can score goals from both close and long range - that's a fairly rare talent and it should be nurtured and developed.

I wouldnt be at all surprised to see other clubs, some bigger than ours, looking at him.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Whoscored isn't a great source for this kind of thing. Their ratings often don't pass the eye test. For example, ravel morrison is our 9th best player of the season going by his stats - ahead mcnair, saville, wing and britt amongst others. 

I agree. Stats can be misleading aswell. If that's all you went off then there would be no need for scouts. I prefer to give my opinion on watching them play and Im not a huge fan of wing. Like few others have said on here....take away the great strikes and he dosnt offer much else on a regular basis. Same goes for Mcnair for me. He either looks like one of the best players on the pitch or looms like he's never kicked a ball before. We need some consistent midfielders brought in imo

1 minute ago, Jonny Ingbar said:

I'm surprised by how quickly some people are writing him off, given his obvious talent.

Yes, hes had a difficult season, but we've all seen what he is capable of - when Pulis played him we looked a far more ambitious and positive team with him in it.

He's a forward thinking player, who can score goals from both close and long range - that's a fairly rare talent and it should be nurtured and developed.

I wouldnt be at all surprised to see other clubs, some bigger than ours, looking at him.

Again the phrase "writing off" comes up! I think its fair to talk about players weaknesses and the pros and cons of selling a player - this isn't writing off. I don't think anyone would be upset if he's still here next season and we will all hope he can realise his potential.

However he's just coming off a season where he didn't look that effective besides his goals and if we can capitalise on the fact he scored those goals and get a good fee for him so we can bring in someone who can more consistently effect a game then we should absolutely be doing that. If we can't get a fee of over what we value him then happily keep hold and try to improve those other aspects of the game. 

• Like 1

Wing has talent and without his goals this season we would possibly have gone down. Once the midfield mix is more balanced I think he will be more effective. As someone above stated though, I am not 100% sure he is a Warnock type player. 

7 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I'm not making them the be all and end all; especially not the rating bit of it; just thought that was interesting. 

I'm not even against selling Wingy, 2-3m and I'd snap your hands off. 

Having said that, if we hold onto him, or hell - if he moves somewhere else - it's this coming season that will define his career IMO, not the one just gone. 

I think even the most die hard Wing hater has to admit he was horribly misused at times, especially when forced to play the deep midfield role.

Wing is a number 10, he needs to be in and around the box, who else would you want the ball dropping to 5 yards outside the box ? Tipy tap walk it in/pass out wide hit the first man cross or  shoot on sight

1 minute ago, Brunners said:

I'm not making them the be all and end all; especially not the rating bit of it; just thought that was interesting. 

I'm not even against selling Wingy, 2-3m and I'd snap your hands off. 

Having said that, if we hold onto him, or hell - if he moves somewhere else - it's this coming season that will define his career IMO, not the one just gone. 

I think even the most die hard Wing hater has to admit he was horribly misused at times, especially when forced to play the deep midfield role.

Don't disagree with any of that. Like I said I only want us to sell if we get above market value on him due to his goals this season. I think another championship side will pay 5mil or more for him in a panic having seen he scores goals in this division. We got over 5mil for reach didnt we? Some similarities between the two i think.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

Don't disagree with any of that. Like I said I only want us to sell if we get above market value on him due to his goals this season. I think another championship side will pay 5mil or more for him in a panic having seen he scores goals in this division. We got over 5mil for reach didnt we? Some similarities between the two i think.

For 5m I'd drive him wherever he's going myself, and I say this as one of his biggest fans.

From the piece in the EG  https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/tactics--transfers-behind-neil-18695051 

"At Cardiff, there was the way he wanted to play and then there was his preferred personnel - the timing was different," explains Booth.

"Almost straight away you could see how he wanted them to play, to run hard, to be very defensively disciplined, to counter attack at pace.

"He got the most out of what was at his disposal. The style was definitely there and the determination.

"Then he got the personnel in that summer. That was when he said I think we can mount a serious bid for promotion.

"He got rid of people who couldn't play his way."

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)