oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

20 hours ago, Brunners said:

While I appreciate your opinion, he wasn't great in any of the 3 games you mentioned, but calling him the worst played on the pitch is harsh IMO. Using whoscored ratings as a guide (not perfect I know, but it gives a consistent rating) he was the worst rated player on the pitch in 1 of the 3 games you mentioned, and that was a joint award.

Against Cardiff, Howson & Pears both rated lower.

Against QPR, Howson rated the same

Against Bristol City, Stojanovic, Johnson, Fry, Spence, Howson & McNair all rated lower than Saville.

He isn't pleasing on the eye in games, but he's been quietly effective at what Warnock has asked him to do, by and large.

I find this interesting. And I am wondering why it seems to have been somewhat overlooked?
This coupled with the Midfield stats show Howson to be our worst Midfield player. Yet a lot of folk seem to rave on about him?

I admit I have not had the opportunity to watch games this season so it is difficult to judge for myself. But looking at the stats I am wondering what the fixation with Howson is?

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, BoroAbroad said:

I find this interesting. And I am wondering why it seems to have been somewhat overlooked?
This coupled with the Midfield stats show Howson to be our worst Midfield player. Yet a lot of folk seem to rave on about him?

I admit I have not had the opportunity to watch games this season so it is difficult to judge for myself. But looking at the stats I am wondering what the fixation with Howson is?

folk like him because he is pretty on the ball, has nice faints and looks pretty. in reality he was the last man for that pathetic goal we conceded against cardiff. the deepest player and was just bumbling about left side. when dijksteel pressed forward he just stood there (no sense of danger) when the ball fell to tomlin he spotted the massive gap and put murphy clean through. my grip was. if its so obvious to tomlin wtf is howson doing and seeing? i can tell you exactly what hes doing, he's stood there not arsed thats what hes doing. not a fan of him in defensive positions at all hes proper lackadaisical. hes the type of player i can imagine a talker like me would have to shout at all game to keep him right. but people think hes good lol. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Dynamo Kev said:

folk like him because he is pretty on the ball, has nice faints and looks pretty. in reality he was the last man for that pathetic goal we conceded against cardiff. the deepest player and was just bumbling about left side. when dijksteel pressed forward he just stood there (no sense of danger) when the ball fell to tomlin he spotted the massive gap and put murphy clean through. my grip was. if its so obvious to tomlin wtf is howson doing and seeing? i can tell you exactly what hes doing, he's stood there not arsed thats what hes doing. not a fan of him in defensive positions at all hes proper lackadaisical. hes the type of player i can imagine a talker like me would have to shout at all game to keep him right. but people think hes good lol. 

In way of an explanation (not a defence) but Jonny is NOT a defender. He’s done ok as a right back but certainly he’s nowhere near good enough against a player of Tomlins ability. 
I like Howson and think he would be much better in a Leadbitter/Clayton role 

• Like 1

I think that is unfair on Howson. Tomlin is a player who’s main attribute is seeing and playing passes that others don’t. Howson didn’t have the best game that day, but the last 2 seasons he has been our most consistent if not best player in my opinion. He’s been played out of position most that time. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, BoroYorkie said:

I think that is unfair on Howson. Tomlin is a player who’s main attribute is seeing and playing passes that others don’t. Howson didn’t have the best game that day, but the last 2 seasons he has been our most consistent if not best player in my opinion. He’s been played out of position most that time. 

Its been a problem with several members of the squad, with both Woody and Warnock asking midfielders to play in defence and vice versa...and we wonder why they have been ineffective so often?

Its all very well saying they should be able to adapt, but if their specific skill sets are in a particular position, whether that be defending, winning the ball, being a midfield general / playmaker, or running with the ball, then its not that surprising they've performed below par.

Especially when you factor in the frequent changes to the starting XI and formation.

Hopefully, whoever survives the Summer rebuild will be able to play in their favoured positions and get a chance to show what they can do, when used properly.

• Like 1

If you want to rate Howson as a midfielder you need to take out the games that he played at RB and in defence. That's like rating Britt for the games Pulis stuck him on the wing. I want Howson to play in midfield only and hopefully Warnock will recruit well enough to stop playing people out of position.

• Like 1

just to clarify i judge howson on his ability as a footballer. when he played in defense he was actually better than when he played in his actual position in midfield. imo.

i'm not his biggest critic but i do not think he should be untouchable because he has been better than most. he was still not good enough and the example in the cardiff game was one of those instances. he was in midfield that day and covering at the back during an attacking set piece and totally switched off. because tomlin is soooo good at spotting gaps, creative etc has nothing to do with it. the titanic could of been put through the gaping hole in our defense. collectively we were shocking not just him.

2 minutes ago, Smogzilla said:

5 million Euros seems a bit steep for a player with only 3 senior appearances to his name, but sounds like he has some interest. 

5 minutes ago, Borodane said:

5 million Euros seems a bit steep for a player with only 3 senior appearances to his name, but sounds like he has some interest. 

Only a year left on his contract aswell. The 5 mil figure looks like journalist guesswork to me.

Unfortunately with our midfield, it hasn’t been fit for purpose since we moved away from the 4231 and centre defensive midfielders. 

I feel the players we have recruited have been because they’ve been available for a good price at the time, rather than fitting into how we play. 

Guidieora 7.5m

De Roon 9.5m

Howson 6m

Saville 7m

McNair 5m

Wing free

Since we got promoted, that has been our permanent central midfield options. De Roon was probably the best (in my opinion) but left after one season. After this, it’s really just so poor in terms of quality and different attributes they bring to a midfield. I hope we address the midfield because it hasn’t been fit for purpose for a long time. Mainly because under Pulis we didn’t have one 😂 *hooooooooof*

This is where I feel a director of football or technical director would be beneficial to us to oversee this type of direction with signings. 

Howson seems like a good pro and someone who is good around the dressing room and I thought he did a decent job at centre back when we needed him to fill in. 

Saying that I think he's massively overrated on this board as a midfielder. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

Unfortunately with our midfield, it hasn’t been fit for purpose since we moved away from the 4231 and centre defensive midfielders. 

I feel the players we have recruited have been because they’ve been available for a good price at the time, rather than fitting into how we play. 

Guidieora 7.5m

De Roon 9.5m

Howson 6m

Saville 7m

McNair 5m

Wing free

Since we got promoted, that has been our permanent central midfield options. De Roon was probably the best (in my opinion) but left after one season. After this, it’s really just so poor in terms of quality and different attributes they bring to a midfield. I hope we address the midfield because it hasn’t been fit for purpose for a long time. Mainly because under Pulis we didn’t have one 😂 *hooooooooof*

This is where I feel a director of football or technical director would be beneficial to us to oversee this type of direction with signings. 

Guidieora was 3.5m and even at that price was too steep never mind being a good price at 7.5m.

Howson was 5m.

De Roon fee was 8.8m. When club had a fall out with EG they decided to randomly confirm fee they paid for him.....a year after he signed for us

13 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Other than if fry goes in a Gibson/Fry swap I cant see us spending that sort of money on one player. We need too many players, with little cash. It looks like frees and lower league signings mainly to bulk up the squad this year.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)