oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

6 hours ago, Tarmo said:

Dougie Freedman, Forest’s manager at the time, would be reluctant to play Burke in midweek games, for example, as there was not enough time to prepare him or drill into him what was required.

That probably says a lot more about Freedmans glaring managerial shortcomings than it does about the player. I’d much rather have Burke on a permanent than Roberts on loan. Get Burke back on track and we could have decent sale in the future. We’re not going to get promoted next season so we will be left searching for a new player when Roberts leaves anyway. But let’s get them both then. On each wing with Tav in the middle behind Britt/Fletcher. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Tarmo said:

”Coaches speak of Burke as being blessed with rare pace, power and quick feet, but too often he lacks the tactical discipline to harness his God-given talents…

Academy head Gary Brazil and his staff worked hard to nurture the raw talents of a young man with explosive power, but little idea of how to make the most of it. There was a feeling Burke himself never quite knew what he was going to do next out on the pitch, which was sometimes a positive and sometimes not.

Sounds a lot like how Traore used to be when he was with us. 

Though looking at that clip, he can at least put a decent ball into the box.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Duvel said:

I don't know if I'm being a bit naive here but how much drilling do you need to give a winger? 

I know you need to have some tactical awareness but unless you want him back defending and covering the full back all game then I'm not sure how much drilling needs to be done. 

Like Traore you probably need to play to his strengths, if he is blessed with pace then let him work up and down the line rather than overcomplicate things. If you are doing that then I think its a position where you need less tactical awareness than others. 

Its football you're not teaching him quantum physics.

It depends on how you approach wingers. If you're playing a front 3 with wingers then maybe less prep needed and more freedom given. But any other formation with wingers, you're almost certainly asking them to do more than that, even in a 4-2-3-1.

And of course there's no guarantee Burke was always playing as a right winger. He's played left side and up top or behind a striker too. That's continued this season with Alaves too, apparently. Which is surprising given he's apparently not a very versatile player. I wonder if he's just a victim of his own hype in that regard and just needs someone to actually teach him how best to use his pace in one position on the pitch.

• Like 1

Traore was nigh on hopeless when he had to track back and defend, if you play him in a position where he doesn't really need to defend like Wolves do then its not a big issue. 

My problem with Traore was always his decision making in the final 3rd and the quality of his final ball. To be honest I wasn't sure he was ever going to learn to get that right. 

In hindsight it probably wasn't a lack of ability with Traore it was more down to a lack of composure. Darren Campbell apparently worked wonders with him on slowing himself down and taking a split second before delivering a cross. Pulis also deserves a lot of credit, he said himself that Traore was a lad who lacked confidence which Pulis managed to improve. 

I think with Traore a lot of the improvement has come from Pulis and Nuno learning how to use him. I don't think he's suddenly turned into a player with a great tactical awareness, he's just being utilised properly. If he was asked to play right wing and spend the whole game tracking back and picking up players he'd look lost again. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

It depends on how you approach wingers. If you're playing a front 3 with wingers then maybe less prep needed and more freedom given. But any other formation with wingers, you're almost certainly asking them to do more than that, even in a 4-2-3-1.

And of course there's no guarantee Burke was always playing as a right winger. He's played left side and up top or behind a striker too. That's continued this season with Alaves too, apparently. Which is surprising given he's apparently not a very versatile player. I wonder if he's just a victim of his own hype in that regard and just needs someone to actually teach him how best to use his pace in one position on the pitch.

I haven't saw enough of Burke to be honest but yeah I agree with you.

People used to slag Adomah off but i think he was as valuable defensively for us as he was going forward. Some wingers are really good doing a job at both ends of the pitch. 

What I was thinking is that if Burke has the raw pace and potential  that people say then you've got to tailor your tactics to fit his strengths.......... Or like you say, maybe he just isn't that good 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

With Warnock saying he hoped to get a signing over the line this week, wonder if we get a name today, hope so

The closest right now is apparently Charlie Goode he's considering contract offers from us (Northern Echo) and presumably QPR (FootballInsider). Given what Warnock said about pushing for a decision from people we'll probably know one way or the other today or tomorrow on him, the story saying he was set for QPR was a good 3 days ago either their source had really good insight on Goode wanting a London return or they were over confident of beating Warnock despite Jepson/Curle's links to Northampton and that 'exclusive' will age poorly.

Pione Sisto is apparently available for under 2,5 million pounds from Celta Vigo as he’s gone a bit cold there and has one year left. Is apparently in talks with his old danish club. Has unreal ability but needs stability and a helping hand. Maybe the championship is too hard for him and he wants to go home for security but that’s a deal with some real value for money. Just shows that there are some real bargains on the continent. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Pione Sisto is apparently available for under 2,5 million pounds from Celta Vigo as he’s gone a bit cold there and has one year left. Is apparently in talks with his old danish club. Has unreal ability but needs stability and a helping hand. Maybe the championship is too hard for him and he wants to go home for security but that’s a deal with some real value for money. Just shows that there are some real bargains on the continent. 

Literally anyone that is Danish is a bargain in your eyes. 

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, Borodane said:

I like Pione Sisto. Started off really well at Celta. With a bit of patience and guidance, reckon he'd do well in English football. Would need to work on his strength and ability to hold off defenders and challenges, but has quick feet, does well with set pieces and has a decent shot on him.

• Like 1

Sisto’s status as a footy manager legend won’t help his chances of coming here after Warnock gave the stats guys a public dressing down 😂

half of Boro twitter and Facebook were slating that sort of approach when really it can work well. Look at Brentford. Think you need to find some sort of middle ground though, especially with someone like Warnock. The video boro put up yesterday was a good insight I thought. 

• Like 2

Harry Arter is after making his move to Fulham permanent despite not playing enough games to force the agreed deal through.

Strikes me as the sort of CM Warnock likes, if he is looking to put his own stamp on the spine if the team. Workmanlike, does the simple things well, rarely makes mistakes, very vocal. His previously agreed price was £4m, but I doubt Bournemouth would get that now.

2 minutes ago, Tarmo said:

Sisto’s status as a footy manager legend won’t help his chances of coming here after Warnock gave the stats guys a public dressing down 😂

half of Boro twitter and Facebook were slating that sort of approach when really it can work well. Look at Brentford. Think you need to find some sort of middle ground though, especially with someone like Warnock. The video boro put up yesterday was a good insight I thought. 

You need to know what are the important stats and which aren't.

The data is there for every club it's how you analyse the data that matters. 

He is hoping to have tied up one more deal by the end of the week, with Northampton Town skipper Charlie Goode currently considering the offer of a move to the Riverside, but accepts there may be a need to “wheel and deal” in order to enact more significant changes.

Northern Echo

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)