oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

The only problem with Hugill is we would have the same attack as 2 seasons ago when we scored 1 more than this season. Personally I would have him instead of the 2 we have but as I dont expect anybody to be interested in Britt or Fletcher it doesnt really make sense to me.

• Like 1

I can’t get my head round people that are insistent on bringing Marcus Maddison in. No doubting he’s a good League 1 player but there is obviously a reason why he hasn’t had one club approach him since becoming a free-agent. We’re talking about someone that didn’t pull up any trees in his short spell in the Championship, is reportedly asking for ridiculous wages crazy and to be honest if you’ve seen the way he acts like a spoilt 14 year old boy on social media you wouldn't want him anywhere near our team. 

1 minute ago, TAPOUT said:

The only problem with Hugill is we would have the same attack as 2 seasons ago when we scored 1 more than this season. Personally I would have him instead of the 2 we have but as I dont expect anybody to be interested in Britt or Fletcher it doesnt really make sense t

I would not look at it that way. Pulis was to blame for how Hugill performed not Hugiill himself. Play to his strengths and he good for double figures at this level. Preston and QPR shown that. Albeit I dont think Warnock will be targeting him.

6 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

Means we're less likely to be hanging on to them in a post-Warnock era where these players might be useless, I don't mind that. I'd rather we signed a bunch of experienced players on short term contracts right now to cover for squad depth, at least give the next manager some freedom to operate without being stuck trying to get rid of half of them next season.

The potential problem with the short term outlook though is next year we have 4 players out of contract as it is. Personally I would be happy with them all leaving, but if we need to get more in due to the short term contracts potentially given this summer its another difficult / expensive summer. Ideal for someone new potentially coming in and really stamping his ethos on the club, but really difficult to sign the players he wants, as we are seeing now.

6 minutes ago, Tobermory Whitby said:

6 goals in 37 games.

He was not a great striker for us at all and the dives he took were criminal... but it's worth saying he spent most his time under Pulis 10 miles away from his teammates and he had little to no quality service.

If he was to come back to this squad right now, he'd probably give us about the same as he did first time round. If we get some creative players in, there's no reason he can't achieve more than he did that season.

Whether that's good enough for what we want to achieve this season is a another matter.

Just now, CWC said:

I can’t get my head round people that are insistent on bringing Marcus Maddison in. No doubting he’s a good League 1 player but there is obviously a reason why he hasn’t had one club approach him since becoming a free-agent. For someone that didn’t pull up any trees in his short spell in the Championship, the wages he’s asking clubs are supposedly crazy and to be honest if you’ve seen the way he acts like a spoilt 14 year old boy on social media you wouldn't want him anywhere near our team. 

There is probably some truth in that but he must be getting desperate so I reckon he is going to accept an average championship contract soon. Maybe even less with some incentives built in.

Wages are very difficult to predict in these times as clubs are very tight it seems and the window is open for almost two months still. Personally I would take (depending on finances/wages obviously)

Roberts back on loan/permanent depending on price

Ibe for the other wing (maybe he's getting desperate but you'd imagine a prem team to come in for him)

Madisson to give us something different behind the strikers

If Warnock really wants a big striker I'd take either Fletcher or Martin on short deals so we're not lumbered with them. Hell I'd even take Zohore on loan if it's cheap.

In defence I'd have a good look at Abdul Mumin who is a free agent. Big talent who is looking for a bigger challenge now. I suspect he'll end up in Belgium though or perhaps the Bundesliga.

I have no idea for right back if it has to be a cheap option.

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

He was not a great striker for us at all and the dives he took were criminal... but it's worth saying he spent most his time under Pulis 10 miles away from his teammates and he had little to no quality service.

If he was to come back to this squad right now, he'd probably give us about the same as he did first time round. If we get some creative players in, there's no reason he can't achieve more than he did that season.

Whether that's good enough for what we want to achieve this season is a another matter.

I don't disagree with you, which is why I posed the stats without comment. 

I'm wary of recommending or commenting on anyone in our current position.

I've looked at players I thought we should go for [on loan], like Grady Diangana, who did well with West Brom last season, but he is being linked with moves to Prem clubs for prices that stagger me.  

There must be academy players in Prem teams who can do the sme though, some hidden Brewsters and Wilsons... We just need to avoid the Nmechas.

I mean people talking about 10s and Maddison doesn't match with the holding midfielder hunt or orthodox wingers we're after with a bit of pace and energy. Last time we got Hugill we paid an extortionate 7 figure loan fee wouldn't touch him with a bargepole spend the loan fee getting a fresh face in permanently.

I think it'll be 433 most of the time, if Fletcher and Britt both stay past October we'll see Fletcher become a part time winger at times again I think there will be heavy rotation in the front positions game to game and the 'spark' from midfield will probably come in the form of McNair if he stays bombing forward or Saville. I think we're probably 2 wingers short if Johnson leaves assuming Warnock thinks Fletcher's up to doing a job there.

For me we need 2 wingers, a striker, a holding midfielder, a CB and I guess a GK I'd want a playmaker type in the midfield 3 who can take set pieces and pop off some shots but without departures I don't see it happening. 

Hugill wasn't great when he was here before, and as much as Pulis has to take a lot of the blame, the player himself also has to take some responsibility for it. 

I'm sure he has it in him to have a better season than he did last time, but at the same time, it wouldn't be a signing that I'd be especially inspired or excited by.

It would be interesting to see him and Fletcher playing together, I don't recall it happening too many times in his season here.

8 minutes ago, TLF10 said:

I would not look at it that way. Pulis was to blame for how Hugill performed not Hugiill himself. Play to his strengths and he good for double figures at this level. Preston and QPR shown that. Albeit I dont think Warnock will be targeting him.

No, I wasn’t blaming Hugill. As I said I would have him before the 2 we have.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, TAPOUT said:

The potential problem with the short term outlook though is next year we have 4 players out of contract as it is. Personally I would be happy with them all leaving, but if we need to get more in due to the short term contracts potentially given this summer its another difficult / expensive summer. Ideal for someone new potentially coming in and really stamping his ethos on the club, but really difficult to sign the players he wants, as we are seeing now.

True, though the alternative is we're just paying useless players big wages with little return for the next few years. I think the new manager will prefer the challenge of a clean slate than having to worry about having to sell before buying, as then you've got 2 difficult sides of the window to deal with, like trying to buy a house in a chain vs. a first time buy.

It doesn't make the challenge of negotiating for new players any easier and does mean we have more slots to fill, but we will at least have a pretty clean wage bill to operate from.

Definitely not an ideal scenario either way, though, as you're saying. You'd hope we can balance it so we sign some players this summer who can be useful beyond this season.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)