oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

5 minutes ago, TheJew said:

There's a lot of free agents not moving at the moment. The covid shut down is a reality check to football salaries in general.

It could very likely mean a lot of short term one year deals agreed.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, TeaCider24 said:

Probably, most of the players don't return to training for another 2 weeks.

I don't think we'll make 6 signings in the next 2 weeks though, so it's going to be an issue but it is every season.

Bar last year almost every club has signed players after the season has started.

Warnock said players return this coming Monday. 17th Aug.

4 hours ago, boroie said:

Loving the stats DFDS. I think the Howson numbers are definitely impacted by his spell in defence during the season, the number of clearances is an obvious outlier. However regardless of where Howson or McNair played, none of our midfielders are anywhere near Stewarts figures (tackles, fouls, etc) so a completely different type of player than we have. He's obviously a destroyer/anchor type of DM, and that type of player would presumably open up space for other midfielders to shine in a central 3. 

It is a shame that the stats per position aren't really available as that would help show a better picture to how well (Statswise) Howson and McNair performed in the midfield. Stewart is certainly streets ahead in terms of number of tackles and interceptions, but one obvious downside, is that his fouls committed stats are also much higher. But I suppose, that is a natural occurrence however, as being involved in more tackles is likely to cause the probability of fouls being committed to jump up. He has played less minutes (1968) than both Howson (3657) and McNair (3281) too, so potentially if he had played a similar amount of minutes, maybe his tackles and intercepts would level out a bit.

1 hour ago, tmcc said:

but  the season starts in 4 weeks, is 4 weeks enough time to get the 6 or so player we need to gel together?  

Warnock has said he wants 5 players apparently.  I don't know if that includes Hall or not.

3 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Warnock has said he wants 5 players apparently.  I don't know if that includes Hall or not.

It’s including Friend and Johnson, too. Imagine. 😂

2 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

Grant Hall has managed 30+ games in only 3 seasons in his career, and another season of 27 games.  So we probably need another 2 CBs.  Why has he managed so few games at 28?

Two things I think we will see happen 

1. Lower league clubs will end up having to sell there better players for a fraction of the cost to a year ago. It's a buyer's market and some of these clubs will have to sell to survive as their income streams dry up.

2. A lot of the players out of contract will get clubs after the window shuts and clubs have spaces to fill.

2 hours ago, wilsoncgp said:

From what I've seen, Maddison has a better talent for scoring goals which is something we could do with from midfield/wings in a Warnock team.

Still, he's been mentioned pretty much every season for 5 years and the same questions get asked without ever being answered. The lad clearly thinks he's worth more than people are willing to offer, which is gonna kill him this summer now he's out of contract. Clearly his attitude has caused some issues in the past and if he can't work past that then he's done for.

He's apparently again reiterated he's had no contact from anyone, calling himself the least-wanted guy in football, genuinely continues to raise the question as to why. We're in football, it's hardly the most morally righteous set of people you could work with, some absolute tossers have played the game and done well because of their ability on the pitch and so often, clubs will take the risk and take someone like that on. So either people in football know something we don't or he really is his own worst enemy and constantly gets in his own way.

He definitely has an eye for goal, especially when you look at some of his goal at Peterborough. 
The attitude thing is weird as it has never really been openly reported on, other than it being cited as the reason Newcastle let him go. Since being at Gateshead and Peterborough I cannot recall any stories coming out about him. Like you say maybe people in football know something we don't. Or is it potentially a perceived flaw that he has never been able to shake off? 

He could well be a good example of a player that encapsulates the whole "Moneyball" thesis ("buy what is undervalued"). That being he is hugely undervalued due to a perceived attitude problem.

https://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/sport/football/cobblers-reject-fourth-bid-goode-curle-insists-clubs-must-meet-his-asking-price-2940270

In case anyone's catching up on Goode, the journo there is saying their asking price is actually over a million now.

Unless he was an U21 superstar I wouldn't be paying over a million for a League 2 CB.

If our second (or third?) bid was at that 750k mark we seemed to initially value him at we might have a call to make on whether we step away or not, either way we need a CB and the best League 1 CBs are priced at seven figures so it's a rough market, wonder if this is where our Goode pursuit ends.

So Moore to Cardiff, Amos to QPR, Gibbo to Norwich, Gnanduillet to Turkey and Second bid for Goode rejected

Rough day for us huh 

Let's hope its not Gazette spin that they weren't really our top targets 

6 hours ago, estonpidge said:

Does anyone think that the Noerthant chairman is telling porkies about not needing the money, seems even Prem teams have been hit under Covid?

Northampton since the Cardoza's got bought out (2015) have actually been in a relatively good financial position. Think for the 2017/18 Season (Heavy squad investment that year) they made a £2.2 Million* loss. 2018/19 season they made a loss of £1.7 Million* despite being relegated and having that loss of income. Pre-Covid they were on course to reduce the losses yet again. On top of that any and all debt is internal, so it is only owed to the owners group. I think due to them ultimately winning promotion via the play-offs I think that will help any loss of income in terms of matchday income. 
When it comes down to it though, I get the impression that they will actually sell, I think like most clubs they are trying to get the very best deal. My mate who covers the club for the BBC feels strongly that they will sell him.

*Approximate figures.

15 minutes ago, Tobermory Whitby said:

Grant Hall has managed 30+ games in only 3 seasons in his career, and another season of 27 games.  So we probably need another 2 CBs.  Why has he managed so few games at 28?

Because I don't think he was a regular starter till he moved to QPR, then he lost 18 months or so to knee tendonitis.

• Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)