oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Just now, Borodane said:

Meh. But I suppose that since we've already paid a fee for him we're not losing him yet on a free. Hopefully it's a lesser contract because he is just not especially good. Hope he's not pencilled in to be our left wing starter or plays another game at LB ever again.

Seems like it might be a one year deal with an option, because the article says ties him to the club till the "summer of 2021, at least"

It's not a flashy signing but at the end of the day, Warnock likes him, we do need bodies in the squad and if Warnock thinks he can continue improving him then fine. 

I agree though that I hope he's nowhere near the starting 11 very often.

7 minutes ago, Borodane said:

Meh. But I suppose that since we've already paid a fee for him we're not losing him yet on a free. Hopefully it's a lesser contract because he is just not especially good. Hope he's not pencilled in to be our left wing starter or plays another game at LB ever again.

Agreed. I'm still hoping Warnock has identified an actual LB he wants to bring in.

Does Marvin Johnson count as one of our new signings considering his contract had ran out? Just need George Friend to sign on and it will be like two new signings. Transfer business done for the summer. 😂

• Haha 2

Just fingers crossed that we aren't settling with Johnson and Browne as our Left Wingers for the season now, we saw what happened last season

Still plenty of time for names mind, keep forgetting it's open till mid Oct

• Like 2

I think this close season, in addition to being short, is also going to see very little movement. Getting Johnson in for another year probably makes sense with a squad as thin as ours.
I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other about Johnson, I don't think he's good enough to be starting for us, really, but he's a decent enough option from the bench, and his delivery is far better than he gets credit for. And of course, him sticking out the last season when others didn't is a credit to him as well.

I don't think people are really aware of quite how badly this pandemic has affected finances in football, especially for clubs that are reigning in the big spending anyway, like Boro. People who think we are going to sign a whole starting lineup this summer may have to  adjust their expectations.

• Like 5

I cant see why so many people are happy with it. He has been part of the problem for 3 years now and if we brought him in on a free transfer havning not been at the club we'd be wondering why we're signing him given, given his output. Hes league 1 standard at best, the stats and the eye test very much support this. But its flogging a dead horse at this point. 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

I cant see why so many people are happy with it. He has been part of the problem for 3 years now and if we brought him in on a free transfer havning not been at the club we'd be wondering why we're signing him given, given his output. Hes league 1 standard at best, the stats and the eye test very much support this. But its flogging a dead horse at this point. 

Completely depends where we deploy him, for me. I'm worried because he thought Johnson was improving at left-back and I saw nothing to indicate that at all. But I still remember earlier in the season where he was our most exciting attacking player in the front 3. His downfall started when he got shifted to wing-back and then eventually left-back.

But as a winger, he's quick enough and his delivery is decent. For a squad as thin as ours in those attacking areas, it's a case of wait and see what we want to utilise him as, for me. If Friend leaves and he gets given the #3 then I'll be noping out of this one, for sure.

• Like 3

So demoralising watching us hand a new contract to a player that has been consistently poor for us for 3 years and is clearly a League 1 (at best) player. 

Starting to become really really worried about the local media overhyping of Browne, Johnson renewing his contract, very few (if any) solid links to wingers and Warnock’s constant stressing about the spine of the team (and appearing to be completely ignoring the main issue we have had for the last 5 seasons). If we start the season with either Browne or Johnson (or, God forbid, both) as our starting wingers, we will 100% be struggling around the relegation zone again this season. 

2 minutes ago, wilsoncgp said:

But I still remember earlier in the season where he was our most exciting attacking player in the front 3.

Don't remind me 😞 

From Traore to Marvin Johnson as our attacking outlet in just over a year

• Sad 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)