oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, Blanco said:

Yes that’s a strange one. I don’t think that they would be bothered by a photograph if it has been cleared with Burnley 

My guess is they just don’t want to raise people’s hopes considering there are lots of questions still and money to sort out. 

1 minute ago, tmcc said:

can someone give me a run of situation, i know we missed out on moore, are there any other players were in for/link with?

Nothing. Gibson apparently still training with us. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Borodane said:

My guess is they just don’t want to raise people’s hopes considering there are lots of questions still and money to sort out. 

Yes good point. That could be all it is

53 minutes ago, Thor said:

Can't give the source up I'm afraid, apparently his last contract was £3500 p/w so can't imagine the terms being too unfavourable, i was told he would be down from Durham for talks this week 

Would take Maddison. Warnock will get these players to knuckle down. 

23 minutes ago, Foogle said:

But we're talking about a new manager coming in here, Coulson was inconsistent which is expected at his age. When your up against it and haven't spent much time with the players I can see why Warnock would go with the older player who might be less likely to crumble under the pressure. I could quite easily see Coulson being first choice next year with a fresh start and a preseason.

I know exactly why Warnock would go with older players.  I'm asking, did it look to people on here that Coulson couldn't cope with the pressure?  That's all.

28 minutes ago, kmorrisuk said:

What time was it 🙂

Going to listen now

Welcome to the forum! Honestly mate I don't know that either, 😄 Sorry I'm no help! @Uwe might have more info on times.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Changing Times said:

I know exactly why Warnock would go with older players.  I'm asking, did it look to people on here that Coulson couldn't cope with the pressure?  That's all.

I can see the point your making, but it's hard to judge before lockdown because personally I don't think anyone in the team was performing well especially under pressure. When we were getting beat I think the only performers who were consistent were Saville and Howson (and I wouldn't say they were at there best).

The only way I see Howson and Spence playing in a Warnock team is if we play the wing back formation imo.

3 minutes ago, diggerlad07 said:

I can see the point your making, but it's hard to judge before lockdown because personally I don't think anyone in the team was performing well especially under pressure. When we were getting beat I think the only performers who were consistent were Saville and Howson (and I wouldn't say they were at there best).

The only way I see Howson and Spence playing in a Warnock team is if we play the wing back formation imo.

Really? I see him moving Spence further forward, I'm still convinced he plays him primarily as a RW this season.

Howson I can understand if we bring in another DM, otherwise I think he'll take that spot again.

I think there's more evidence to support warnock seeing both spence and coulson as wingers than there is against. 

Did coulson start a game at left back under him at all? I dont think he did. And he played johnson there the entire time, despite his obvious discomfort in the role.

With spence, he played a couple of games at right back but as soon as an alternative became available he got moved up the pitch. He even started in that right wing position ahead of roberts for a few games. He also shifted him to left wing when making tactical tweeks, which is definitely not something he'd do if he primarily saw spence as a full back who can do a job on the wing.

In addition he said on numerous occasions that were okay in the wing position, if he wasn't talking about those two then there's absolutely no legislating for that view. 

• Sad 1

Warnock had little to no preparation and had to take a snapshot decision over the squad he inherited. Over the years his experience would have leaned him towards experience rather than youth in such circumstances. He was fighting fires without the luxury of prior knowledge and planning.

Ability ordinarily should of course come into it but following the Managers instructions even when they don't appear to be working is important in a dogfight. It's probable that Warnock thinks more experienced players are more likely to stick to the task. Coulson has great ability and potential but defensively they are both suspect, Warnock went with Johnson in the circumstances and despite what we think about that Warnock achieved his objective which after the Swansea game looked a big ask. There is clearly something about Johnson's attitude that Warnock trusts and likes. In a more settled, disciplined and organised team we may see Johnson at his best, his highly experienced Manager certainly seems to think so.

In reality and at this stage it would be preferable to have a first choice LB with Coulson on the bench to come on and offer something different and stake his claim. An injury may even give him the opportunity that he does seem to deserve but it would be a gamble to enter into the season with him as first choice. We saw what happened to Bola's confidence in only a few games at the start of last season and we then struggled at LB for the remainder even when a creaking and half fit George came back. 

• Like 5
11 minutes ago, Brunners said:

Really? I see him moving Spence further forward, I'm still convinced he plays him primarily as a RW this season.

Howson I can understand if we bring in another DM, otherwise I think he'll take that spot again.

You may be right, although I don't think Spence was overly impressive when he played him there in the lockdown matches.

It's interesting that we don't seem to be linked with many wingers, maybe that it a sign that he's thinking about playing wing backs. Thinking about it he talks about adding to the spine/core.

Dijksteel/spence RWB   Johnson/New Signing LWB? 

• Like 1
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)