oneBoro Forum

The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 aka TURN DOWN FOR WHAT(more)

8 hours ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

Do we definitely have £3mill to be throwing around? I'm not so sure

We're seemingly trying to sign a premier league defender, who hasn't played for 2 years, for something like 6 million and he is on 40k a week in wages. We should have plenty of money if we're trying to do that. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi guys! PAOK fan here from Greece. You are getting a really hard worker in Akpom. He is a top lad and a good professional. When he first came, he was considered a bench player. It was the 2018-19 sea

Morsy nearly done

Williams fee nearly agreed. 1.75million rising to 2.5 (So 1.75 then 😂).

Posted Images

Just now, Borodane said:

We're seemingly trying to sign a premier league defender, who hasn't played for 2 years, for something like 6 million and he is on 40k a week in wages. We should have plenty of money if we're trying to do that. 

Thought we were trying for a loan deal

17 minutes ago, scotty189 said:

Thought we were trying for a loan deal

THink we are trying both. Last I've heard is we want to swap with Fry plus some money our way or use the fact that they still owe us up to 6 million from when they bought him. All in all it's going to be a very expensive transfer for us either way. With all the noises coming out I think that if we sign someone as expensive as Gibson we are going to have to rely on third choice players further up the pitch. And god knows what kind of player Gibson is these days.

• Like 1

I think I’d rather we leave the sentimentality behind and move on from Gibson. This is 2 transfer windows now where we’ve seemingly focussed a lot of our effort and where we are at the mercy of Burnley. Just let it go and move onto other targets. George leaving was the end of the Karanka era, there’s nothing to say that Gibson won’t have faded like Clayton, Friend and others have. Move on. 

• Like 3
27 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

I think I’d rather we leave the sentimentality behind and move on from Gibson. This is 2 transfer windows now where we’ve seemingly focussed a lot of our effort and where we are at the mercy of Burnley. Just let it go and move onto other targets. George leaving was the end of the Karanka era, there’s nothing to say that Gibson won’t have faded like Clayton, Friend and others have. Move on. 

I agree,  plus I really don’t think that having the chairman’s nephew in the dressing room is a good idea. 

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Skinemrippers said:

Age?

11 hours ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I was purely talking from an entertainment point of view, I do rate him. 2 assists and 1 goal isn't amazing either but I don't think we saw the best of him fitness wise,

He only played 6 games according to Wiki.  2 assists and 1 goal in 6 games.  Across a whole season that's 15 assists and 8 goals.  I doubt he would manage a whole season, but still...

2 minutes ago, Will said:

Age?

That should certainly help Gibson, but he has barely played professional football for about two years so that is bound to have an effect. How much remains to be seen. Maybe he is just one of those guys that hit 100% immediatly but there is a huge risk that the last two years has had some serious effect.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Borodane said:

Haha just been racking my brain trying to thing who you were talking about and what I’ve missed 🤦‍♂️. Should have had my Shreddies.

• Haha 2
Just now, Borodane said:

That should certainly help Gibson, but he has barely played professional football for about two years so that is bound to have an effect. How much remains to be seen. Maybe he is just one of those guys that hit 100% immediatly but there is a huge risk that the last two years has had some serious effect.

I'm not denying that, but there is a very clear difference between Clayton (31) , Friend (32 soon to be 33) and Gibson (27) in terms of their chances of regaining their past ability.

1 hour ago, Borodane said:

I have no idea why we are seemingly still persuing that one

17 minutes ago, Will said:

Age?

Maybe but not playing competitively for 2 years will have a huge effect. I also worry that he’s trained with us for months, Burnley still owe us £6m and yet we still can’t get this over the line and sorted quickly is damaging. If he gets sold to a rival in this division it will be ridiculous. 

Edited by Skinemrippers
4 minutes ago, SzilardNemethsCurtains said:

I have no idea why we are seemingly still persuing that one

Because Gibson wants to come back, we need a CB & despite him not playing for 2 years really, he'd still be the best CB at the club.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Will said:

I'm not denying that, but there is a very clear difference between Clayton (31) , Friend (32 soon to be 33) and Gibson (27) in terms of their chances of regaining their past ability.

They sort of fell of a cliff right after karanka left though, so they were around the same age as Ben is now when they reverted to, let's face it, very average championship players.

That said, gibson showed enough quality in his time here to make me think that he had more about him than just fitting a system perfectly, whereas the others seemed to have been playing above their ability. I think theres a risk, but its one worth taking.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Neverbefore said:

They sort of fell of a cliff right after karanka left though, so they were around the same age as Ben is now when they reverted to, let's face it, very average championship players.

That said, gibson showed enough quality in his time here to make me think that he had more about him than just fitting a system perfectly, whereas the others seemed to have been playing above their ability. I think theres a risk, but its one worth taking.

I only think it's a risk if it doesn't limit our chances of strengthening in vital areas further forward. I apreciate we also need defensive reinforcement, but Gibson might just bee too expensive for one position. His fee and wages could cover 2-3 decent players. If signing Gibson means we have to look at League 1 again or gash players like Nmecha then it's a ig fat no for me.

• Like 3
  • Borodane changed the title to The Summer/Autumn transfers thread 2020 (playing the Chuba?)